Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:25 AM

89 posts, read 283,136 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't give a pence for any of the four but......I will vote so I feel good doing my duty as a citizen of this great "still" FREE country " THE UNITED STATES OF NORTH AMERICA ".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 07:22 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,153,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Obama is indeed a mulatto just as my wife who is Mexican-American is a mestizo. Since I am anglo of mostly Norwegian decent, I guess that makes her a Norwizo
Rosa (McCauley) Parks according to the 1930 US Census was a Mulatto----------that was the actual word used. She was of Black (Negro), Scots-Irish (White) and Cherokee/Creek Indian lineage.

As for people who hail from Mexico: I have met some who were clearly full White just by looking at them------------but, were just as 'Mexican' as a Mayan from Chiapas.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Using your logic, the vast majority of "black" people in America are mulatto/biracial.......
Strictly speaking; you are correct.........and, there are many self identified White people who have known Negro (Black) heritage.

In fact: James Watson; one of the discoverers of DNA-------------his own apparently came up as about 10-20% Black.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I find it quite amusing that you who are OTB (insert racial identity) seem to think you know how myself or any other black person identifies themselves or feels about how others racially identify us.

For the record, no matter what we are mixed with, if you are born in America one drop of black blood makes you black.

None of us are jumping through hoops to identitfy our race as white or mulatto and neither is Obama. No matter what society or the next racially PC identity the MSM give us next we are black, proud of who we are and frankly, that's really all that matters.

Obama is a black man born in America. Because the slave masters made the rules and took it upon themselves to catalog and identify us according to race more than a hundred years ago, the one drop rule still applies.

For all of those who are attempting to claim one half of Obama or classify him as anything other than a black man, sorry it ain't so.
Even back in the old Jim Crow days: that did not always hold true...........many states (even in the South) counted an Octaroon (sp), read that a person who was 1/8th Black as 'White'.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
I am a Southerner and I was taught that no one uses the term "mulatto" anymore as it was used to separate people. Another term that was used 50 plus years ago is "high yellow" . . . it all has to do w/ pre-Civil Rights era when whites would disparage blacks for "trying to pass" as white. Now I am simply telling you what I was taught as a child - that "old people" who used the terms - "mulatto" and "high yellow" were raised using those terms and so should be forgiven, b/c they simply did not know that was unacceptable. My biracial friends tell me that w/in their own black culture, there is a lot of continual discussion about all this and since I have never really been privy to those discussions, I feel it is not my place to refer to anyone except as human beings . . . why should it matter, unless from a healthcare standpoint (as in - genetic propensity w/in certain races to specific diseases, such as blacks having a propensity for high blood pressure, for ex). I have several friends who have told me they prefer to be referred to as biracial and I have one friend who has a white mother and black father and she prefers to be referred to as white . . . and one other friend w/ a black father and white mother refers to herself as black. So that is what I do. Whatever they have decided for themselves - I affirm that.

So my point is . . . first of all . . . why is it even up for discussion what someone's ethnicity is . . . unless the person wants to know his/her ethnicity and wants to share it w/ others . . . or needs the info for healthcare reasons.

In addition - I honestly didn't know what the OP was even saying - that we need to come together and not be influenced by someone's ethnicity - or that we should be concerned b/c someone is biracial? I have no clue.

I just know I was taught as a child that people no longer referred to people of mixed ethnicity as "mulatto."

Last edited by brokensky; 10-18-2008 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 10-18-2008, 07:43 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,416,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Even back in the old Jim Crow days: that did not always hold true...........many states (even in the South) counted an Octaroon (sp), read that a person who was 1/8th Black as 'White'.

F. James Davis is a retired professor of sociology at Illinois State University. He is the author of numerous books, including Who is Black? One Nation's Definition (1991), from which this excerpt was taken. Reprinted with permission of Penn State University Press E]

To be considered black in the United States not even half of one's ancestry must be African black. But will one-fourth do, or one-eighth, or less? The nation's answer to the question 'Who is black?" has long been that a black is any person with any known African black ancestry. This definition reflects the long experience with slavery and later with Jim Crow segregation. In the South it became known as the "one-drop rule,'' meaning that a single drop of "black blood" makes a person a black. It is also known as the "one black ancestor rule," some courts have called it the "traceable amount rule," and anthropologists call it the "hypo-descent rule," meaning that racially mixed persons are assigned the status of the subordinate group. This definition emerged from the American South to become the nation's definition, generally accepted by whites and blacks. Blacks had no other choice. As we shall see, this American cultural definition of blacks is taken for granted as readily by judges, affirmative action officers, and black protesters as it is by Ku Klux Klansmen.
Let us not he confused by terminology. At present the usual statement of the one-drop rule is in terms of "black blood" or black ancestry, while not so long ago it referred to "Negro blood" or ancestry. The term "black" rapidly replaced "Negro" in general usage in the United States as the black power movement peaked at the end of the 1960s, but the black and Negro populations are the same. The term "black" is used in this book for persons with any black African lineage, not just for unmixed members of populations from sub-Saharan Africa. The term "Negro," which is used in certain historical contexts, means the same thing. Terms such as "African black," "unmixed Negro," and "all black" are used here to refer to unmixed blacks descended from African populations.
We must also pay attention to the terms "mulatto" and "colored." The term "mulatto" was originally used to mean the offspring of a "pure African Negro" and a "pure white." Although the root meaning of mulatto, in Spanish, is "hybrid," "mulatto" came to include the children of unions between whites and so-called "mixed Negroes."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...d/onedrop.html

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
JDubsMom: Thank you so much for a wonderful reference, wh/ explains all the terms we have been bandying around on this thread.

As a Southerner, I was certainly taught that what we have done here w/ the insistence on tracing bloodlines was a form of racism and a way of discounting people and discouraging assimilation.

Now that is just what I was taught, and that was in the 60s. I have never understood why we, as a people, have been so fixated on race.

I do understand a person wanting to find his/her ancestral roots. I have spent many hours doing genealogical research on my family in order to understand where they had lived and what their lives were like b/f they came here to the USA. But why anyone would want to use race, ethnicity, or culture as a way to separate themselves . . . I have never understood. However, we see it in many places across the globe . . . not just here in the USA. Kosovo, Albania, Rwanda . . . I don't understand it but it does exist.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:26 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,047,901 times
OK, so the argument against Obama is that he is either (depending upon your view) mixed race or black? Have we just shot back in time by, oh, 100+ years?

I am a Bible-believing Christian. I am also a Chicagoan who knows all about Chicago politics and the associations that Obama may/may not have had there. I am well aware that the Daley machine is (cough) less than upright and I have also heard the whisperings that Obama is supposedly evil and the anti-Christ, etc. In fact, I get e-mails almost every day concerning the subject.

I also know the whole McCain story and that of his trigger-happy beauty queen running mate. (sorry)

Question: if the OP is an Evangelical Christian (as it would appear), then, why are you worried about any of it? The Bible tells us that all authority is ordained by God. So, no matter if Obama or McCain wins, it will be His will and His will alone.

Now, personally, I cannot, by nature, vote for anyone that has personal ties to the NRA; I have strong beliefs against any form of firearm except by the use of the police. I also know that, as corrupt as the city of Chicago is (and has been for over 50 years), the city is fairly well run and takes care of it's citizens. I am also personally for any form of control that the government can take & enforce to prevent another financial crisis to happen like what we are currently living with. (and, yes, I have travelled extensively in other countries, even Russia) Also, we (as a country) have to take considerable consideration as to what the other countries in the world are thinking about the candidates. This is a global society...made more & more evident by the crisis that we are experiencing. Their opinion matters as that is what will help our country to grow and prosper. If we go too much against the grain of the other countries of the world, we may really find ourselves in a bigger pickle than what we are currently in.

But,I don't take my political belief systems and attach them to my religious belief systems and declare that anyone who thinks differently is wrong; making broad staments like the OP has. His rambling and others like it just make us all roll our eyes and be embarrassed for the country and for others who think that ALL Evangelicals are like that.

So, to the OP: Pray. Pray for His will, not yours, not mine. Pray that whoever wins will be committed to doing God's will alone and, if necessary, a great transformation will occur within himself to do that. And, that, my friend, will result in what this country truly needs!

Old 10-18-2008, 09:37 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,903,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
Mulatto is an official racial category in every country with large mixed race people like Brazil. The U.S. is still the last country not to recognize mixed race as a separate race. We abide by the one drop rule to this day and just call everybody "black"

BTW: Obama is indeed a Mulatto. He is neither White or Black. But it really makes no difference regarding anything, and I have NO idea what the OP was on about.
I am all for giving him to the blacks and am willing to give up all claims associating him with the white race. As a matter of fact, I am willing to give up any claims that he is an American. Now, don't say I never gave you anything.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto E View Post
CHARLOTTE .....I have to express my self.........before the elections.......! While we still have " FREEDOM OF SPEECH " BLACK & WHITE = MULATTO , SOOOOO we are not voting for the first AFRICAN-AMERICAN Person . We are voting for the first MULATTO ever to hold such high ranks !( it's the equal of having a Latino or of Oriental decent runing ). America , WAKE UP BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE !!!!!! CHANGE it's not always the right decision,some times it's better a not so good known to a ? superb ? unknown. That is what I feel . Don't be fool by sentiments because because you may be defrauded at the end.....Look at how many polititians have promised CHANGE ei. CHAVEZ , CASTRO , etc to name a few and their country have gotten what they asked for ..... CHANGE !!!!!!! So please consider your emotions ,just because a candidate is Black does not garantee that he will go over his means to help the Blacks or the MULATTOS it's the same as if the candidate was a woman, oriental or of spanish decent . at the end their hands are tied , BUT they can promise the world even if it take lies to get to power. I honestly pray to God for this elections results, it's not easy for anyone to,take over. I always say that you get what you deserve (including myself ) but I HOPE AMERICA does better than that because America deserves the best and if CHANGE makes it for the WORSE ,then the mystery of of GOD's wrath will be lived and hopefully in four years we can breath better. at the end Have no fear as our LORD tells Us. GOD bless all and especially AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!
And an excellent job of expressing your hatred, bigotry, and shallow reasoning you have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections