Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Colin Powell Endorses Obama Would You Change Your Mind?
Yes 9 13.85%
No 55 84.62%
Maybe 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:01 PM

442 posts, read 790,891 times

Advertisements

Powell would be an interesting POTUS.

Should run as a Demo, I think he's always voted Democrat but desperately wanted the Secretary of State post that GWB offered him so he pretended to be a Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 02:31 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,480,406 times
If Powell endorses McCain, I will lose all respect for him.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,830,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
You must be a McCain supporter. I see the resemblance in temper.
You mean the straight talk!

Old 10-18-2008, 05:04 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,234,244 times
I voted no, because Obama already has my vote.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:19 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,847,153 times
Interesting interview with Powell and Lehrer.

FORA.tv - A Conversation with Gen. Colin Powell

These are Powell's thoughts and words about 37 minutes into the interview:

Quote:
Believe me, he (Hussein) had the intention. Is anyone sure we wouldn't be seeing those weapons and stockpiles now? This was a man determined to threaten his own people, to threaten the region.

He had such weapons in the past and he had used them in the past. A lot of them were destroyed in Desert Storm and in the aftermath of Desert Storm with the UN inspectors. But he had not changed who he was. And so President Bush felt strongly that this was a problem that had to be dealt with now, either through peaceful means by the changing the nature of the regime, or by military means, a regime change totally.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:41 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,378,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I voted no, because Obama already has my vote.
"Ditto"

Old 10-18-2008, 05:43 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,748,087 times
If Colin Powell endorses Obama .... get the fork out, cue up the fat lady, wipe the lipstick off the pigbull and start singing na na na
na na na na
hey hey
good bye

Old 10-18-2008, 05:47 PM

1,935 posts, read 1,826,765 times
Colin Powell will endorse neither candidate.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:52 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,253,741 times
Conservatives/Republicans endorsing Obama

Elected Officials:

Jim Leach, Former Congressman from Iowa
"For me, the national interest comes before party concerns, particularly internationally. We do need a new direction in American policy, and Obama has a sense of that."
Lincoln Chafee, Former United States Senator from Rhode Island
"As I look at the candidates in order who to vote for, certainly my kind of conservatism was reflected with Senator Obama, and those points are that we're fiscally conservative, we care about revenues matching expenditures, we also care about the environment, I think it's a traditional conservative value to care about clean air and clean water."
Richard Riordan, Former Mayor of Los Angeles
"I'm still a Republican, but I still will always vote for the person who I think will do the best job."
Lowell Weicker, Former Governor and Senator from Connecticut
"At issue is not the partisan politics of two parties, rather the image we have of ourselves as Americans. Senator Obama brings wisdom, kindness, and common sense to what is both his and our quest for a better America."
Jim Whitaker, Fairbanks, Alaska Mayor
"If we are as a nation concerned with energy, then our consideration should be a national energy policy that is not predicated on crude oil 50 years into the future. We need to get to it, and I think Barack Obama is very clear in that regard."
Linwood Holton, Former Governor of Virginia
"Obama has a brain, and he isn't afraid to use it."
Government Officials:
Douglas Kmiec, Head of the Office of Legal Counsel under Reagan & Bush 41
"I was first attracted to government by Ronald Reagan, who lives in our national memory as a great leader and an inspiring communicator. Senator Obama has these gifts as well, but of course, more rhetorical flourish without substance would be worth little. Is there more to Senator Obama? I believe there is."
Jackson M. Andrews, Republican Counsel to the U.S. Senate
"Barack Obama is a thoughtful visionary leader who as President will end the decline of American law, liberty, and fiscal responsibility that are the hallmarks of the extremist policies of the current Administration, now adopted by John McCain."
Susan Eisenhower, Granddaughter of President Eisenhower & President of the Eisenhower Group
"Given Obama's support among young people, I believe that he will be most invested in defending the interests of these rising generations and, therefore, the long-term interests of this nation as a whole."
Francis Fukuyama, Advisor to President Reagan
"...Obama probably has the greatest promise of delivering a different kind of politics."
Rita Hauser, Former White House intelligence advisor under George W. Bush
"McCain will continue the wrong-headed foreign policy decisions of Bush, while Obama will take us in a new direction."
Larry Hunter, Former President Reagan Policy Advisor
"I suspect Obama is more free-market friendly than he lets on. He taught at the University of Chicago, a hotbed of right-of-center thought. His economic advisers, notably Austan Goolsbee, recognize that ordinary citizens stand to gain more from open markets than from government meddling."
Bill Ruckelshaus, served in the Nixon and Reagan administrations
"I'm not against McCain, I'm for Obama."
Lilibet Hagel, Wife of Republican Senator Chuck Hagel
"This election is not about fighting phantom issues churned out by a top-notch slander machine. Most important, it is not about distracting the public-- you and me-- with whatever slurs someone thinks will stick."
Columnists and Academics:
Jeffrey Hart, National Review Senior Editor
"It turns out that these political parties are not always either liberal or conservative, Democratic or Republican. The Democrat, under certain conditions, can be the conservative."
Andrew Bacevich, Professor of International Relations at Boston University
"For conservatives, Obama represents a sliver of hope. McCain represents none at all. The choice turns out to be an easy one."
David Friedman, Economist and son of Milton and Rose Friedman
"I hope Obama wins. President Bush has clearly been a disaster from the standpoint of libertarians and conservatives because he has presided over an astonishing rise in government spending."
Christopher Buckley, Son of National Review founder William F. Buckley & former NR columnist
"Obama has in him-- I think, despite his sometimes airy-fairy 'We are the people we have been waiting for' silly rehtoric-- the potential to be a good, perhaps even great leader. He is, it seems clear enough, what the historical moment seems to be calling for."
Andrew Sullivan, Columnist for the Atlantic Monthly
"Obama's legislative record, speeches, and the way he has run his campaign reveal, I think, a very even temperament, a very sound judgment, and an intelligent pragmatism. Prudence is a word that is not inappropriate to him."
Wick Alison, Former publisher of the National Review
"I made the maximum donation to John McCain during the primaries, when there was still hope he might come to his senses. But I now see that Obama is almost the ideal candidate for this moment in American history."

Along with others openly or secretly Endorsing Obama:

David Brooks
Kathleen Parker
David Frum
Colin Powel
Peggy Noonan
George Will

any other conservatives that I left off?

in addition, red states are turning yellow, light blue, and full blue

how do you guys feel about this? doesnt that make you think that maybe Obama is alright? and perhaps something is wrong with the McCain/Palin ticket?

doesnt this make you think at all?

i mean who are some conservatives that you respect and admire? besides Ronald Regan

most of the respectable conservatives have one way or another shown distaste for the McCain/Palin ticket

Old 10-19-2008, 06:48 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,830,406 times
Did not see a conservative on the list that has actually endorsed Obama !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections