Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,220,082 times

Advertisements

He shouldn't have said it the way he did, of course. And the GOP and conservatives are going ape over it (even though it doesn't seem to be working).

I want to talk about the failure of the left-leaning talking heads to address this issue properly. Here's the way they should have framed it:

Quote:
"Listen, Larry. This campaign is becoming the most devisive, nasty campaign in many decades. If McCain wins, the Democrats will be upset, but they will live with it. Nobody is saying that McCain's intentions are anything worse than carrying on the policies of Bush.

"However, if Obama wins, we have a large segment of the population who seem to think that Obama's intention is the destruction of America, that he is in league with terrorists, that he wants to institute Sharia Law. And the leadership of the GOP ticket has subtly encouraged them.

"All Biden was saying was that when we are tested, which is probably more likely under a new President, we need to stand by Obama and support him. That it's doubly important to show that we are united and determined."
The Democratic supporters of Obama have missed the opportunity to frame this issue in a better way. Which always seems to be the problem with the Democrats.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:16 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,041,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
He shouldn't have said it the way he did, of course. And the GOP and conservatives are going ape over it (even though it doesn't seem to be working).

I want to talk about the failure of the left-leaning talking heads to address this issue properly. Here's the way they should have framed it:

The Democratic supporters of Obama have missed the opportunity to frame this issue in a better way. Which always seems to be the problem with the Democrats.

Biden didn't make a gaffe.

Unfortunately, I think the media and McCain are focusing on the wrong part (the testing of Obama) of what he said. He said they are going to do something we're all not going to like in response to an incident that hasn't happened yet. My opinion is, Obama and Biden already have plans to do something we're all not going to like and he's just going to use a manufactured incident to justify it.

I'm guessing it's going to have something to do with taking away some freedom or government controlling communications.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,943,108 times
It happens with every new President. They are always tested within the first 6 months of being elected in some way or another. Biden shouldn't have said anything BECAUSE Obama's inexperience is his Achilles heel and he just showed why.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,830,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post

Well the reason they havent framed it that way is you cant!
It was pretty clear what Obiden said, no matter how you try to spin out of it!
Sharia law? can you actually name the republican who said that?
I didnt think so.
Seem's you are guilty of what you are actually accusing republicans of doing.
Go figure!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:05 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
Biden said what he said and meant what he meant...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a duck....These are Biden's own words!!!! quack, quack!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Biden said what he said and meant what he meant...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a duck....These are Biden's own words!!!! quack, quack!!!
Bentlebee - people who can't read really shouldn't be walking around quacking like a duck.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well the reason they havent framed it that way is you cant!
It was pretty clear what Obiden said, no matter how you try to spin out of it!
Sharia law? can you actually name the republican who said that?
I didnt think so.
Seem's you are guilty of what you are actually accusing republicans of doing.
Go figure!
Here's one.

How many more do you want me to find?

There really are way too many imbeciles on this forum.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,394,955 times
As I said before, Biden does not think that Obama is qualified, either. Seems to be a popular theme...he, Bill and Hil are all closet McCain supporters.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,162,825 times
HEY! What's up with Michelle McCarthy Bachmann and her little sister, "Pro" America (and you aren't), Sara Palin ???

Look at the HUGE gaffes coming out of thier lipsticked mouths !!!

I think they should quit trying to steal Biden's reputation for foot in mouth disease....(not really....look at how it's helping their opponents...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My opinion is, Obama and Biden already have plans to do something we're all not going to like and he's just going to use a manufactured incident to justify it.

I'm guessing it's going to have something to do with taking away some freedom or government controlling communications.

Considering Obama taught Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago for ten years, this is HIGHLY unlikely.

Also, it wouldn't amount to much of a crisis, considering Americans' non-reaction to Bush/Cheney's persistent chipping away at personal freedoms and privacy.

If I were going to bet on more attacks on my civil liberties, I'd put my money on McCain, not Obama. Although even McCain wouldn't be as egregious as Bush and if he reverted to "the Old McCain" he'd leave our liberties alone entirely.

Palin, on the other hand......YIKES. Hide those library books, kids. The government already knows what you're reading and now they're coming to confiscate/burn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections