Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,063,735 times

Advertisements

[quote=DC at the Ridge;5805909]Please point out where it is explicitly forbidden.[quote]

Nice try, Dude, but that wasn't your argument.

Quote:
Because if it's not explicitly addressed by the federal powers, then it implicitly becomes one of the states' rights.
Please see Texas v. White, 74 U.S. 700 (1869)

Quote:
The Declaration of Independence actually addresses the Founding Fathers position on secession.
The Declaration of Independence is not law, it is a declaration that preceded both the Articles of Confederation and the US Constitution and holds no faith or credit.

Once again, nice try, but never try to out BS and BS'er.

Quote:
Then the Constitution does not prohibit it, and it could have done so, if the Founding Fathers had desired to do so.
The prevailing theory as enunciated in a excellent piece of oratory by Daniel Webster during a debate with Robert Hayne in 1830 is that the US is like the Mafia, once you are in, you are in for life.

Feel free to look up what is referred to as the Webster-Hayne Debate.

http://www.constitution.org/hwdebate/hwdebate.htm

Quote:
When the original authors of the Constitution were ALIVE, and the New England states brought up secession for consideration, there was no public outcry that they didn't have the right to do so.
Talk was cheap and it never came close to being a Constitutional issue. Either way, the issue has been conclusively resolved.

But while I am at it, the there is an additional issue that I might entertain, that being the right of the original 13 states are distinctly different from those of all subsequent states. In short, if there is a right to secede then that right only goes so far as to renounce state hood and revert to territories. But that is a debate for another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 01:55 PM

573 posts, read 802,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Are these Republican voters who are advocating for states to secede? Let the Alaskans steal this nation's oil?
I am not anywhere near being a Republican but I agree with the right to peaceful, voluntary secession.

Just as with the peaceful 1992 dissolution of Czechslovakia into the Czech Republic and Slovakia, negotiations about resources would be an important requirement to any successful secession or group-of-states realignment.

No state would be foolish enough to advocate unilateral secession where there are significant national resources at stake.

::

Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,321,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
But while I am at it, the there is an additional issue that I might entertain, that being the right of the original 13 states are distinctly different from those of all subsequent states. In short, if there is a right to secede then that right only goes so far as to renounce state hood and revert to territories. But that is a debate for another day.
So NC has a chance!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:59 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
The right to secede is American. It is a testament of the rights of each state, an acknowledgment that the government is not the true power, but the people are. The fact that people have forgot that is only fitting for the chains they place around themselves. They deserve the bondage they prepare and may it be as horrible and trying as it has been in the past. Maybe we won't experience the full brunt of it in our lifetimes, but our children most certainly will and when they suffer the chains of bondage may they curse the ignorance of their ancestors for their own stupidity.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Quote:
I think its sickening that a group of people believe federal land belongs to them. And I believe that kooky guy who lead that party Todd Palin was a part of was willing to kill American soldiers (take back the land by force if necessary) to get his hands on the land and oil. Sorry if I find that the very essence of unpatriotic.
And I think it's sickening that a group of people in the lower 48 believe that Alaska belongs to them because the feds bought it from someone who had no right to sell it in the first place.

Secession may have actually been right for Alaska at one time; that time isn't now, though. Who knows about the future; the way the country is becoming divided it doesn't seem too improbable that a few generations down the road it'll go the way of the Soviet Union.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times
[quote=WinterinAmerica;5806396][quote=DC at the Ridge;5805909]Please point out where it is explicitly forbidden.
Quote:

Nice try, Dude, but that wasn't your argument.

Please see Texas v. White, 74 U.S. 700 (1869)

The Declaration of Independence is not law, it is a declaration that preceded both the Articles of Confederation and the US Constitution and holds no faith or credit.

Once again, nice try, but never try to out BS and BS'er.

The prevailing theory as enunciated in a excellent piece of oratory by Daniel Webster during a debate with Robert Hayne in 1830 is that the US is like the Mafia, once you are in, you are in for life.

Feel free to look up what is referred to as the Webster-Hayne Debate.

http://www.constitution.org/hwdebate/hwdebate.htm

Talk was cheap and it never came close to being a Constitutional issue. Either way, the issue has been conclusively resolved.

It was my argument, because, hey, dude, I'm not TKramer. Backtrack through the thread, okay?

The Declaration of Independence wasn't law, it was a political statement made to the world to justify the colonies separating themselves from England. A justification of secession by the very people who drew up the Constitution. What valuable insights into the Constitution we might gain, if we read the Decalaration as well!

Webster's position in a debate may make an excellent argument, but it, like the Declaration, is not law, nor did Webster's position encompass all the prevalent opinion of the day, hence the reason for having the debate. And indeed, Webster's position did not settle the issue, because the possibility of secession has been raised repeatedly over the past 200+ years. The Civil War only forcefully quelled a secession, it didn't resolve the legal question.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:14 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The feds are not popular in Alaska. I think it's the state most likely to secede. And no it's not un-American. This country only exists because the colonies seceded from British control. When the federal government no longer does it job (protect liberty) it's time to either do away with it or leave its control. If Obama has his way and the government grows in power, eats at our civil rights, etc., it's time for action.

This is complete ca-ca. The colonists did not "secede" from Great Britain. They REVOLTED from the authority of the Crown and threw out by force of arms the Crown's political administration in what are now the United States.

Get your terminology straight! The United States was eventually formed after the American Revolution, not the American Secession!

Secession /= revolution

Old 10-22-2008, 02:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times
Maybe its time for a little revolution in this country

Old 10-22-2008, 02:18 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Maybe its time for a little revolution in this country

If you can't accomplish the political change that you want under the Constitution and all other relevant present laws, then you would be considered both un-American and a criminal.

A "revolutionary" act is by definition un-American, I would say.

If the Constitution doesn't address secession, then the states need to get themselves together and amend the Constitution.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
This is complete ca-ca. The colonists did not "secede" from Great Britain. They REVOLTED from the authority of the Crown and threw out by force of arms the Crown's political administration in what are now the United States.

Get your terminology straight! The United States were eventually formed after the American Revolution, not the American Secession!

Secession /= revolution
We call it a revolution, but it doesn't fit that definition. A revolution is a struggle to overthrow the existing government. We didn't overthrow the British government. We rebelled against their authority, and separated ourselves by force from their rule. A sort of secession, if you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections