Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,235,865 times

Advertisements

Point of order here: Todd Palin is not nor has ever been the "leader" of the Alaska Independence Party. Membership in the party is a right under the Constitution of the United States (ip cit. Bill of Rights: Amendments I-X). You can claim to be the reincarnation of Queen Victoria or Julius Caesar if you don't mind serving a little time in a padded room, if that's what blows your dress up.

Idiocy or ignorance is not against the law, and political views can be as wild as you want them to be. We still haven't instituted the thought police, and conversations are still not censored - hence, this forum.

But claiming Todd Palin was the leader of the AIP is rumor-mongering. I was once a left-wing hippy kind of guy, and now I'm a moderate Republican (OK on abortion, mid-stream on gun control, that kind of Republican). My kids are voting for Obama, and I say more power to them. I don't see eye-to-eye with the AIP aims, but live and let live.

And I live in Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:44 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,235,865 times
Another point of order: The oil in Alaska is not the united States' oil. It belongs to the State of Alaska and to the North Slope Borough (Native Communities). It does not sit of federal lands. Just a little factoid there.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:44 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Saratodd's husband belonged to a group that wanted Alaska to secede from the union. Is THAT what Bachmann and Sara think of as anti- and un-American?
I do.

Seems the Palins are getting a big pass on this......
Well, again, no answer to the question.

The POINT was:

WHO decides what IS or ISN'T Anti-American?

See the differences of opinion?

So WHO would be the big dictator of what is or isn't "AMERICAN".

Now:

What would the "punishment" be ?

WHO would decide the punishment?

WHO gets investigated after the Congress?

Me?

You?

Your neighbor?

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 10-22-2008 at 03:28 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 03:08 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,707,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
If Obama becomes president, Alaska will secede from the Union. Palin will not allow Alaska to be turned into Chicago, IL. Alaska has enough oil to prosper on its own.
wow, you reallyl think sarah has that kind of power?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,378,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Another point of order: The oil in Alaska is not the united States' oil. It belongs to the State of Alaska and to the North Slope Borough (Native Communities). It does not sit of federal lands. Just a little factoid there.
Prudhoe Bay is on Alaskan land, but ANWR and the National Petroleum Reserve are on federal land.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:48 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,378,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If American citizens decided to do this again, how different would that be to the actions of the American Revolutionists?
There would be a big difference: representation. The American Revolution was based in large part on our lack of representation in Parliament. We don't have that now - we have representation in the federal government.

Back then, we didn't have the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Now we do. Now we can propose amendments to the Constitution. Now we can change our government every two years by electing or re-electing 85% of our legislature.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:58 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
There would be a big difference: representation. The American Revolution was based in large part on our lack of representation in Parliament. We don't have that now - we have representation in the federal government.

Back then, we didn't have the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Now we do. Now we can propose amendments to the Constitution. Now we can change our government every two years by electing or re-electing 85% of our legislature.
You're right. I'm not advocating secession. I started out in this thread this morning saying that people talking about secession are not being anti-American, that talking about our dissatisfaction, throwing ideas around, even outrageous ideas, is part of the process in how Americans get things done. I think secession is an extreme solution, but if people are going to entertain the idea, I want it to be out in the open, where people can argue and protest and shout insults at each other, not a secret movement, not an underground campaign.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Debunked? It's common knowledge that her husband belonged to this party, and that as late as last year Palin spoke before the party, encouraging them to keep up the good work.
Yes, debunked. If you had a clue you would have actually read the Alaskan Independence Party platform. No where in their platform will you find anything that mentions seceding from the Union. This is a deliberate lie by the Obama media, and you naturally believe every word.

Quote:
The Alaskan Independence Party's goal is the vote we were entitled to in 1958, one choice from among the following four alternatives:
1) Remain a Territory.
2) Become a separate and Independent Nation.
3) Accept Commonwealth status.
4) Become a State.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Prudhoe Bay is on Alaskan land, but ANWR and the National Petroleum Reserve are on federal land.
JavaPhil is 100% correct. (I would've repped you mal, but "I have to spread it around" first) All the oil being produced in Alaska is being produced on state or privately owned lands. Not a single drop of oil being exported from Alaska is coming from federal lands.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:12 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,866,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
If Obama becomes president, Alaska will secede from the Union. Palin will not allow Alaska to be turned into Chicago, IL. Alaska has enough oil to prosper on its own.
Obviously somebody died and made you chief, and I didn't hear it up here in the land of oil and money Sarah Palin is not the queen of Alaska and highly doubt that would even come close to happening, and how in God's name would Alaska as a whole become like Chicago??? What an imagination, or is it a vision,....really now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections