Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Me and a couple of friends of mine are planning a two-week trek across Western Europe sometime next year, so it'll be nice to not have to say I'm Canadian when asked, or avoid wearing anything identifying myself as an American.
We didn't have that problem when we were over there two years back or so....and just to put it in perspective,Americans have always been looked at 'differently' by other nations....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
And???

We pay the price the nation that has the product asks...it is how free trade works.
No, free trade works by eliminating protectionist tariffs, increasing transparency and making it generally easier for the two countries in the accord to work their way into each other's domestic markets.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:42 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
And???

We pay the price the nation that has the product asks...it is how free trade works.
And when that price becomes weapons systems, defense pacts, or the like the idea of isolationist foreign policy has flown the coop.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
Quote:
No, free trade works by eliminating protectionist tariffs, increasing transparency and making it generally easier for the two countries in the accord to work their way into each other's domestic markets.
If nation A has a product nation B desires and is asking $x for it,nation B has the choice of paying the price or going without....that is free trade,there doesn't need to be any involvement by others.

No trade organisation making decisions what is correct,nothing.

Of course this favors the nation with the most money and some see this as 'unfair'....

Old 10-24-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Me and a couple of friends of mine are planning a two-week trek across Western Europe sometime next year, so it'll be nice to not have to say I'm Canadian when asked, or avoid wearing anything identifying myself as an American.

Most folks I've met have thankfully been able to separate Americans from the actions of the American government.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I am not a republican, I am a conservative libertarian. Historically it is the US that saved Europe and won wars for them and now they believe that we should care what they think about our election? Oh by the way, we borrow almost all our money from Asia (China), so you might want to learn a little before you spout off. Finally, since the rest of the world calls us these names, they can stop using America as a vacation spot and as a place to migrate to. Don't you hate it when all your points are rebuffed with truth?
Thank you for proving my point.

Forgot the countires that are helping the U.S. in Iraq???

The U.S. borrows money from China....and Saudi Arabia, Japan, Holland, Mexico, Canada, the UK, just to name a few. So you might want to learn...anything, something!

Your:""Finally, since the rest of the world calls us these names, they can stop using America as a vacation spot and as a place to migrate to. ""

....makes no sense whatsoever....are YOU going to pass a law against this?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

The U.S. borrows money from China....and Saudi Arabia, Japan, Holland, Mexico, Canada, the UK, just to name a few. So you might want to learn...anything, something!

Your:""Finally, since the rest of the world calls us these names, they can stop using America as a vacation spot and as a place to migrate to. ""

....makes no sense whatsoever....are YOU going to pass a law against this?
Since there are troops from Europe that are helping in the war I guess they aren't too much against war are they? As far as the last point, it makes no sense to you because you have reading comprehension issues.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:01 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Since there are troops from Europe that are helping in the war I guess they aren't too much against war are they? As far as the last point, it makes no sense to you because you have reading comprehension issues.
What do these comments have to do with my post????

"""Originally Posted by Who?Me?!

....makes no sense whatsoever....are YOU going to pass a law against this?""""

You ignored the countries we borrow money from and you couldn't explain your garbled sentence......so why don't you try to help out and explain it???? How do you plan to stop people from coming to the U.S.?

Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
If nation A has a product nation B desires and is asking $x for it,nation B has the choice of paying the price or going without....that is free trade,there doesn't need to be any involvement by others.
And when the product is sonething you simply can't do without and the supplier will not sell for mere $$$?

Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
What do these comments have to do with my post????

"""Originally Posted by Who?Me?!

....makes no sense whatsoever....are YOU going to pass a law against this?""""

You ignored the countries we borrow money from and you couldn't explain your garbled sentence......so why don't you try to help out and explain it???? How do you plan to stop people from coming to the U.S.?
Your reading comprehension is still suspect

Regarding people coming to the US, the US could stop people from coming here if they wanted to like curbing immigration like the did in the 1924 act. However, going back to your original post that I picked apart, if the world thinks that way about the US, then how do you explain why everyone wants to come here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections