Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:41 AM

703 posts, read 856,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreAristotle View Post
I have just one question for you: Do you even know me?
I must have missed something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 03:52 AM

703 posts, read 856,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
For the mere sake of argument, I'll take this rather ill measured indignation to task as best I can.

To begin with you start by using the term "conservative", in which you then list a series of qualities that you associate with what you think a conservative is. To this, I say you are wholly and utterly wrong as well as grossly presumptuous. You may be referring to the more generic term Republican or "right-winger" or something to that effect and maybe even a few conservatives but hardly the whole. When you start out making such a bold statement it would help that you get the definitions and context of that which you are deriding in the proper construct, otherwise you begin under a false premise to which no accurate conclusion can come.

I won't scoff or chide anyone that desires change as change is a good thing when tempered with healthy skepticism and close examination. Change for the mere sake of change as a general argument is folly. Contemporary Republicanism is a failed experiment of wildly assumptive policy born in a think tank by fools proven folly by their results in the Sands of the Middle East and in the halls of Wall Street. Change from this is good, but I see little evidence that Obama will curb the United States government's appetite for spending money it does not have and will borrow from another generation not yet born. Change in words, sure, change in action is yet to be seen and neither you nor I can say with any certainty what the future may hold. I don't believe Obama will be the change many expect, and I hope that I am wrong.

Sure YOU have had enough, so have I, and so have the majority of people but if you wish to issue forth blame, just make sure you place it in the proper box.

If you wish to view others that you have already misidentified to start with as having issues that equate to that of a disease of addiction to which you plan on playing the role of therapist. As a therapist we should be able to assume that such a professional will provide an objective assessment in order to determine the best treatment. As such it would probably be reasonable to recognize that the party you hold so high from the contempt of that which you wish to treat, is also a co conspirator and an enabler of no less than half of those things you hold in such low regard.

I have nothing personal against Obama and in fact I admire his idealistic vision and message of unity and hope, as sometimes there is a time to buy the world a coke. At the same time, vision and hope does not fill empty bellies, fill treasuries, cloth soldiers in the field, or provide warmth in a home on a winters night. Actions do these things, so let us all hope that the vision is a tire that actually meets the road.

I must ask that you and yours do the same and while passing around the adulation earned. As there can be little honor or joy in supporting a visionary man who professes unity and brotherhood while at the same time holding the vanquished in such low esteem, as it only perpetuates the divisiveness you so boldly rally against.

As you look in the mirror with such self pride, remember who also supported and discharged the wars you despise. Remember those cohorts who joined with those you oppose in passing on to future generations a debt that you and I incurred. Remember that two years ago when there was another opportunity for change that required courage of convictions, that no party stood vanguard and opposed these things at the time when America needed them most.

So while I understand how good it must make you feel to see triumph before you on the field, it gives me no pleasure to see that there is little difference in your words than those of the people you deride. Those you tell to look in the mirror, the reflection cast is likely that of yourself.

wash, rinse, repeat
Several ridiculously overbearing and self indulgent (I pictured a colonial Lord when reading it) paragraphs, to tell her you think she is full of it.

"Pedantic" does not serve.

Did I get teleported back in time into a 19th century parlor?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:44 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
maybe liberals are just more "hopeful" and less realistic than conservatives. conservatives have seen the failure of the last 2 years of the democratic congress and the ridiculous spending, with no direct benefit to the american people!
(see the entire congressional spending agenda at The Heritage Foundation - Conservative Policy Research and Analysis or look at the posts here).

they still believe that the democrats, who did not end the war and did not lower gas prices and did not keep their promises to keep spending down, will rise to the occasion and change their agenda! bush was a weak president with both the republican and the democratic congresses and the the democrats used that opportunity to jam through ridiculous spending and bailouts that benefited no americans (well, except wall street big shots basically). if america wants more of the same, then they will vote for it, as is their right!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varangian View Post
Several ridiculously overbearing and self indulgent (I pictured a colonial Lord when reading it) paragraphs, to tell her you think she is full of it.

"Pedantic" does not serve.

Did I get teleported back in time into a 19th century parlor?
Why don't you offer some details on which posts you take offense with or find pedantic. If someone makes a bold statement that essentially can be summed up as conservatives are racist hate mongers who destroyed the country, then a response is warranted especially when the rant was using stereotypical generalizations that they cry out justice for.

So you tell me then, what is so 19th century?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 AM

808 posts, read 1,149,722 times
I'm fairly conservative in many ways but I also support Obama because I am sick of the religious right, radical far right wingnuts and the fact that the Republicans have allowed these groups to hi-jack their party. I early voted and punished the Republican party by voting straight Democrat right down the ballot. I am a registered Independent and typical swing voter.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 AM

78 posts, read 97,636 times
This is a pretty good post however there's a few issues with it as some posters are starting to point out. 1st you have to understand that there's two options in this election.

1. Is what is hard to see as anything other than a continuation of what got us into the problems we have now with McCain. yes the dems have some fault here however the leadership of the country was republican in nature.

2. Is what can be perceived as a stance at the other side of the spectrum. This stance has it's faults as well BUT.... It's not #1 and in the absence of all other options a lot of people will choose anything but #1.

Now I'm completely oversimplifying it and I'm sure we can argue back and forth about the minute details of this all day long but this is the summary of what is said when he made the statement "we're tired of you"

Not you as an individual. You as an idea, as a way of thinking, as a way of leadership.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:10 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,657,328 times
I think the OP needs to understand what a conservative is first of all and it doesn't sound like he/she does. I don't think you can call Republicans conservative in this day and age. Right now the Democrats have a bit of a lead due to the perceptions amd misperceptions of the current administration. It is generally a cyclical thing.

But they are right in saying that it is a wake up call for conservatives. We need to get a real conservative back in the running. Someone who will promise change with substance instead of the current promises that we are hearing that have no backing or value. Someone who will actually try to represent the people instead of enslaving them to the state or the power of the government. Someone who can stop the liberal hate speech that seems to be so prevalent in society today. Someone to call out the media and liberal pundits who spin hypocrisy like it was a spider web. Someone who holds ALL others accountable for their actions and brings this country back to what made it great in the first place.

The best part is that the democratic congress is already helping conservatives (not Republicans) immensely by their inefficiencies, their poor decision making, their lack of leadership and general overall incompetence. Top that sundae with a liberal POTUS and it will be the wake up call for the new revolution in which we can progress forward as a nation united instead of regressing into liberalism.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,285,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
For the mere sake of argument, I'll take this rather ill measured indignation to task as best I can.

To begin with you start by using the term "conservative", in which you then list a series of qualities that you associate with what you think a conservative is. To this, I say you are wholly and utterly wrong as well as grossly presumptuous. You may be referring to the more generic term Republican or "right-winger" or something to that effect and maybe even a few conservatives but hardly the whole. When you start out making such a bold statement it would help that you get the definitions and context of that which you are deriding in the proper construct, otherwise you begin under a false premise to which no accurate conclusion can come.

I won't scoff or chide anyone that desires change as change is a good thing when tempered with healthy skepticism and close examination. Change for the mere sake of change as a general argument is folly. Contemporary Republicanism is a failed experiment of wildly assumptive policy born in a think tank by fools proven folly by their results in the Sands of the Middle East and in the halls of Wall Street. Change from this is good, but I see little evidence that Obama will curb the United States government's appetite for spending money it does not have and will borrow from another generation not yet born. Change in words, sure, change in action is yet to be seen and neither you nor I can say with any certainty what the future may hold. I don't believe Obama will be the change many expect, and I hope that I am wrong.

Sure YOU have had enough, so have I, and so have the majority of people but if you wish to issue forth blame, just make sure you place it in the proper box.

If you wish to view others that you have already misidentified to start with as having issues that equate to that of a disease of addiction to which you plan on playing the role of therapist. As a therapist we should be able to assume that such a professional will provide an objective assessment in order to determine the best treatment. As such it would probably be reasonable to recognize that the party you hold so high from the contempt of that which you wish to treat, is also a co conspirator and an enabler of no less than half of those things you hold in such low regard.

I have nothing personal against Obama and in fact I admire his idealistic vision and message of unity and hope, as sometimes there is a time to buy the world a coke. At the same time, vision and hope does not fill empty bellies, fill treasuries, cloth soldiers in the field, or provide warmth in a home on a winters night. Actions do these things, so let us all hope that the vision is a tire that actually meets the road.

I must ask that you and yours do the same and while passing around the adulation earned. As there can be little honor or joy in supporting a visionary man who professes unity and brotherhood while at the same time holding the vanquished in such low esteem, as it only perpetuates the divisiveness you so boldly rally against.

As you look in the mirror with such self pride, remember who also supported and discharged the wars you despise. Remember those cohorts who joined with those you oppose in passing on to future generations a debt that you and I incurred. Remember that two years ago when there was another opportunity for change that required courage of convictions, that no party stood vanguard and opposed these things at the time when America needed them most.

So while I understand how good it must make you feel to see triumph before you on the field, it gives me no pleasure to see that there is little difference in your words than those of the people you deride. Those you tell to look in the mirror, the reflection cast is likely that of yourself.

wash, rinse, repeat
There many errors in your response, but I have to go teach a class. I will be back later.

But just for the record: Few people who support Obama think he's going to change the nation through hope alone.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,285,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
maybe liberals are just more "hopeful" and less realistic than conservatives. conservatives have seen the failure of the last 2 years of the democratic congress and the ridiculous spending, with no direct benefit to the american people!
(see the entire congressional spending agenda at The Heritage Foundation - Conservative Policy Research and Analysis or look at the posts here).

they still believe that the democrats, who did not end the war and did not lower gas prices and did not keep their promises to keep spending down, will rise to the occasion and change their agenda! bush was a weak president with both the republican and the democratic congresses and the the democrats used that opportunity to jam through ridiculous spending and bailouts that benefited no americans (well, except wall street big shots basically). if america wants more of the same, then they will vote for it, as is their right!

The "failure" of the Democratic Congress from the last two years is due almost WHOLLY to the Republicans who FILIBUSTERED into oblivion more bills than either political party in Congress in the last 50 years. And what about the 6 years of Republican control of the Congress? Pathetic.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaurmyst View Post
I'm fairly conservative in many ways but I also support Obama because I am sick of the religious right, radical far right wingnuts and the fact that the Republicans have allowed these groups to hi-jack their party. I early voted and punished the Republican party by voting straight Democrat right down the ballot. I am a registered Independent and typical swing voter.
I can sympathize with this position and I can even sympathize with where the OP is coming from as I think a good many people feel the same way. The Presidency of George Bush and the brand of Republican it promulgated are why I left the party myself. However, I take issue for the many characterizations and stereotypes used and do not feel it is fair to label an entire group of people as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections