Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
A friend of mine, someone I work with, has a son attending school in England. This is the first election in which he is eligible to vote. He made this comment: "I will not move back to the U.S. if McCain-Palin win, simple as that."

Thoughts?
Don't let the door hit you in the you know what....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

395 posts, read 510,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toosday View Post
Who cares?

If he's not interested in being a productive member of the US if his candidate isn't elected, let him stay in England. And pay their taxes. And get his job over there, if it's so much better. That grass must be awfully green across the pond.

I love my country regardless of who is in office. I may have disliked a certain president, but I still love my country. I've never hated it enough to move elsewhere, based on who occupies the office. This country is stronger than its president. That kid is just too young to realize it. Sounds like just an immature case of "If I don't get my way, I'll .... (fill in your own blank)."
Let's assume later down the road that our country was just doing horrible immoral things and the people here in America supported it and kept re-electing people who did the same thing.

You would still love your country?

Dedication is one thing, but let's say your girlfriend kept cheating on you over and over again...you'd still say you loved her? I think there is a point where dedication goes too far and just becomes hard-headedness and the inability to change.

2,522 posts, read 4,392,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
A friend of mine, someone I work with, has a son attending school in England. This is the first election in which he is eligible to vote. He made this comment: "I will not move back to the U.S. if McCain-Palin win, simple as that."

Thoughts?
Spoken like a true Obama supporter.
She might want to reconsider funding an education that produces a student who makes a statement like that.
This statement is as ridiculous as those in favor of the Viet Nam war who said, "My country, love it or leave it."

Old 11-03-2008, 10:11 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I'm not at all surprised at the student's comment. These past 8 years has made the US VERY unpopular all over the world,& to keep the Republicans in power would just be more of the same.
funny oil has skyrocketed since the democrats have been in power, oh the joys of ignorance!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 AM

56 posts, read 103,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
I am certain you are paraphrasing patriotic Germans of the 1920's and 30's. How young are you that you think countries are incorruptible?

Governments are run by humans. Humans are fallible and corruptible. This does NOT mean that millions of Americans will be the victims of genocide if McCain is elected. Obama either. Big stretch.

And, it's none of your business how old I am.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:13 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I'm not at all surprised at the student's comment. These past 8 years has made the US VERY unpopular all over the world,& to keep the Republicans in power would just be more of the same.
If this is true why did France and Spain elect pro U.S. leaders?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 AM

189 posts, read 448,850 times
The world would be a better place if Alec Baldwin had left like he said he would if Bush got elected.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 AM

56 posts, read 103,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnamecanido View Post
Let's assume later down the road that our country was just doing horrible immoral things and the people here in America supported it and kept re-electing people who did the same thing.

You would still love your country?

Dedication is one thing, but let's say your girlfriend kept cheating on you over and over again...you'd still say you loved her? I think there is a point where dedication goes too far and just becomes hard-headedness and the inability to change.

Define horrible and immoral things.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I LOVE England -- the people, the history, the beautiful gardens/countryside, etc. As a British Lit. instructor, I loved spending time there and studying. I would live there in a heartbeat but NOT BECAUSE OF POLITICS.

I'm scratching my head over the fact that the English people couldn't wait to get rid of the liberal Blair and are sick to death of the Nanny State mentality but they think WE need the equally liberal Obama???? A huge rift has developed between the common people and the ultra-liberal PC government at Westminster. Y'all do realize, don't you, that there has been serious consideration given to allowing Muslim Sharia law and its courts to operate in the UK? THIS is what ultra-liberalism gets you and once the ball starts rolling, it's difficult to stop. I do NOT want that for America.

Junior in his British school probably loves the education and people of Britain. Fair enough -- so do I. A UK education is top-notch. But Junior would not be so happy to see 40 percent of his paychecks taken in taxes and if he thinks he could live in London -- or even near London -- on his entry-level wages, he's sadly mistaken. Unless he wants to share a one-bedroom flat with four roommates, of course.

So, by all means. Let him stay there and find out for himself. It might make him appreciate America more.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 AM

395 posts, read 510,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toosday View Post
Define horrible and immoral things.

Basically place whatever YOU PERSONALLY would consider horrible and immoral...and pretend our government is doing it. Would you still say, "I LOVE MY COUNTRY NO MATTER WHAT?"

That's the point I was making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections