Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:18 AM

68,379 posts, read 54,631,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesroses View Post
When? How? How about doing it safely as not to endanger the lives of our brave troops who are there?

It's a fluid situation and he's 2 1/2 months away from being able to do anything. He'd be pretty damn stupid to announce plans now about a situation that can be entirely different months from now. We've seen more than enough poor planning for handling the Iraq War already.

Personally, I'd like to see Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld dropped in the middle of Baghdad with 1 rifle, 1/2 a clip of ammo, and 1 canteen of water and told "You go to war with what you have, NOT with what you wish you had."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 AM

11,519 posts, read 14,714,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Then shut up or educate yourself!

Dear Lord... I can't believe you actually typed that. Your making me feel bad for picking on you now. Just so you know... don't do anything without a detailed plan.

Dude the soldiers... dude they are like totally dying over there man and like all those cool little Iraqi kids are like getting murdered in cold blood man...
What do you offer for a stratedy to get out of the war?? You've said nothing, absolutely nothing. You just poke fun at others, but you've offered up absolultely nothing.
And, to show your own ignorance further, you call me dude when my computer name points to the unescapable fact that I'm not a "dude". Now, if that isn't ignorance I don't know what else is.
Maybe no one around you has told you, but you need to grow up.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,474,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's a fluid situation and he's 2 1/2 months away from being able to do anything. He'd be pretty damn stupid to announce plans now about a situation that can be entirely different months from now. We've seen more than enough poor planning for handling the Iraq War already.

Personally, I'd like to see Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld dropped in the middle of Baghdad with 1 rifle, 1/2 a clip of ammo, and 1 canteen of water and told "You go to war with what you have, NOT with what you wish you had."
But we have expected Bush to have a solid exit plan on a fluid situation.

So I guess we should have not entered any war until we were sure we had all the information and equipment we could ever wish we had, invented and unforeseen . I guess we would just now be entering the 2nd world war.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,452,880 times
I'm not sure but it has been negotiated with the Iraqi government that US troops will be out by 2011. Now watch if Obama is elected you will hear everyone praise him for this even though he had squat to do with it.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 AM

31,692 posts, read 41,146,600 times
Quote:
Could someone kindly set out Obama's strategy for exit from Iraq? Somehow I must have missed it since the liberal media doesnt press him on it.
What neither candidate is discussing is that the exit strategy is being determined by the Iraq government and there is no troop agreement in place with them as of today. If they don't sign the agreement that was negotiated and there is nothing to say they will. We will be grounded on our bases effective January 1.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,809,955 times
Considering that the Iraqi Government is now pushing to get us out by 2011, I am guessing he will work with the local leaders and with our military leaders on the ground to get our troops out as expeditiously and safely as logistically possible.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 AM

31,692 posts, read 41,146,600 times
RealClearPolitics - Articles - A Critical Stage in Iraq
WASHINGTON -- Iraq hasn't gotten much attention recently in the American presidential campaign, thanks to the reduction in violence there, but U.S. policymakers are increasingly worried about what's ahead.

The negotiations between Baghdad and Washington over a new status-of-forces agreement for U.S. troops are deadlocked. With a Dec. 31 deadline approaching, both sides seem to be running out of bargaining room. The Iraqis are determined to assert their sovereignty though legal jurisdiction over U.S. forces, while American officials are demanding broad protections from Iraqi law until U.S. troops are gone in 2011.
U.S. officials are warning that if the talks remain stalled, there isn't an easy Plan B, such as a new U.N. Security Council resolution to replace the one that expires at year-end, which now provides the legal mandate for American troops.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:32 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,371,860 times
Quote:
Could someone kindly set out Obama's strategy for exit from Iraq? Somehow I must have missed it since the liberal media doesnt press him on it.
I'm just taking an (educated) guess here, but when he has the power to do so, he will attempt to negotiate a "status of forces" agreement with Iraq, then work with his generals on the ground to develop a plan for a gradual withdrawal of combat forces.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:55 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,649,612 times
If you would only open your eyes.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Iraq

A Responsible, Phased Withdrawal

Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe we must be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in. Immediately upon taking office, Obama will give his Secretary of Defense and military commanders a new mission in Iraq: ending the war. The removal of our troops will be responsible and phased, directed by military commanders on the ground and done in consultation with the Iraqi government. Military experts believe we can safely redeploy combat brigades from Iraq at a pace of 1 to 2 brigades a month that would remove them in 16 months. That would be the summer of 2010 – more than 7 years after the war began.

Under the Obama-Biden plan, a residual force will remain in Iraq and in the region to conduct targeted counter-terrorism missions against al Qaeda in Iraq and to protect American diplomatic and civilian personnel. They will not build permanent bases in Iraq, but will continue efforts to train and support the Iraqi security forces as long as Iraqi leaders move toward political reconciliation and away from sectarianism.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:57 AM

68,379 posts, read 54,631,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
But we have expected Bush to have a solid exit plan on a fluid situation.

BULL!

Bush can act on today's situation TODAY, he's the CinC, Obama isn't, can you understand that little minor difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
So I guess we should have not entered any war until we were sure we had all the information and equipment we could ever wish we had, invented and unforeseen . I guess we would just now be entering the 2nd world war.

Well, invading/occupying Iraq without being SURE doesn't seem to have been a very smart move.

WW II? YOU appartntly haven't read too much history, we attacked a country that ATTACKED US! And we were SURE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections