Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:22 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,094,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
.......and 99.2% of all the places you stop, would be McCain country. Doesn't that bother you? Now don't get me wrong here, I realize people vote and not places, but it does really tell you something about the political makeup of this country.

Aside from a few very liberal inner city areas across this great land, the rest is all moderate or conservative.

Remember that left wing whack job liberals next time you venture out across this great land. You know us folks who cling to our guns and religion? We occupy 99.2% of the land mass!
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/wa/washington_mccain_vs_obama-576.htmlRCP (broken link) Average 10/22 - 10/31 -- -- 53.7 40.3 Obama +13.4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 05:04 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,644,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
the reds are so spread out over the land that they frequently can't get represented because the blues are concentrated in dense cities. If we were to base the presidential election on the popular vote rather than the electoral vote, for the purposes of the president everyone would have a more equal say with their vote.

Getting to congress, a more proportional system of representation is needed to fairly represent everyone.

If these two things were done it would at least help with the political division in the country (I think a split would be better but if no split this could help). All sides would be represented in the proportion they exist out of the whole population. Instead of one city in a state leaving others not represented, and when all the cases of this are added up, almost half the country, not fully represented. Follow me on this?
I follow you, but I think you're totally wrong.

The density of the electorate means that there are more places that are heavily Democratic than places that are heavily Republican, whereas there are more places that lean Republican than lean Democratic, giving the Republicans a higher representation than if people were evenly spread throughout.

As the simplest example of this, I give you the 2000 Presidential election. As my second example, I give you the Congressional redistricting in Texas, in which districts were shaped to give huge majorities to the Dems in the inner cities while cutting down on districts that had a slight advantage for Dems.

It was very intentional. (Historically, the Dems have done the same thing in the past. There's a reason Elbridge Gerry got famous, and it wasn't his brilliant time as Veep of the US!)

Old 11-03-2008, 05:43 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,038,990 times

Quote:
.......and 99.2% of all the places you stop, would be McCain country. Doesn't that bother you? Now don't get me wrong here, I realize people vote and not places, but it does really tell you something about the political makeup of this country.

Aside from a few very liberal inner city areas across this great land, the rest is all moderate or conservative.

Remember that left wing whack job liberals next time you venture out across this great land. You know us folks who cling to our guns and religion? We occupy 99.2% of the land mass!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:33 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,537,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
I follow you, but I think you're totally wrong.

The density of the electorate means that there are more places that are heavily Democratic than places that are heavily Republican, whereas there are more places that lean Republican than lean Democratic, giving the Republicans a higher representation than if people were evenly spread throughout.

As the simplest example of this, I give you the 2000 Presidential election. As my second example, I give you the Congressional redistricting in Texas, in which districts were shaped to give huge majorities to the Dems in the inner cities while cutting down on districts that had a slight advantage for Dems.

It was very intentional. (Historically, the Dems have done the same thing in the past. There's a reason Elbridge Gerry got famous, and it wasn't his brilliant time as Veep of the US!)
A proportional system could cut out the re-districting scam both sides use.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:11 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,094,606 times
Quote:
You all are missing the point here. Literally, picture yourself in an RV, spending a month driving across the country. 99 of 100 places you might stop and visit, go to the bathroom, fillup for gas, camp, go swimming, etc are likely going to be places that the vast majority of the people support McCain. You can blurt out, "I support McCain" and find lots of folks the agree with you.

On the other hand, If you want to soley be among people where the vast majority support Obama, you have to pretty much stick with inner city areas. This is just a fact.

I do agree, all votes should always count equally. BUT, it does make you think.
How would you describe a wealthy suburban county like Wake County in North Carolina which is prime Obama country? Or a city like Cary in Wake that is affluent, well educated and strong Obama country?
North Carolina Campgrounds in Wake County

Wake is highlighted as the area that will determine if Obama carries a changing state like North Carolina.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:26 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,981,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Hope it doesn't interfere with your glee but when a significant part of the population and country overall does not feel represented by the government and has opposing ideas forced down their throats...that's a barrel of gunpowder waiting for a spark.
LOL, no matter who wins there's always a significant part of the population that feels that way after an election. Somehow life goes on.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,100,649 times
Quote:

I wish YOU would take a RV trip and just keep on going.Did your sources tell you that the world is flat and you need to be carefull near the edges?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:28 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,943,784 times
Wait. So are you saying you feel that size of land owned should count for weight of/number of votes?

Why does that sound familiar?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 AM

493 posts, read 718,567 times
Quote:

Yes, and the McCain campaign takes great comfort in the feeling that America is moderate right and that's how they will win! Well if Obama wins, it will show the true nature of the country, which I believe is leaning slightly to the left. I feel it here in the reddest of red states Oklahoma.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:33 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,897,382 times
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/countymapredblue.png (broken link)

A map by county....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections