Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Obama has already openly stated the Constitution is fundamentally flawed.

And he has proposed banning any firearm that falls under the VERY loose descriptions of the AWB....and to adding more firearms to the list.

I guess he didn't read the Bill Of Rights that much...maybe he wasn't in class that day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:59 AM

A few examples of 'assault weapons' that will be banned:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/saiga16.jpg (broken link)

Hmmm....

Old 11-07-2008, 08:59 AM

973 posts, read 2,229,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Never been to Newark or Brooklyn or Palm Beach, huh?

You can buy ANYTHING if you have enough money.
For example:
""Middletown police say illegal machine guns and grenade launchers were among more than 300 weapons they seized from a private home.
Police obtained a search warrant and say they found automatic and semiautomatic weapons, grenades, bulletproof vests, swords, cross bows and bomb-making instructions."
WCBS NEWSRADIO 880 - Grenade Launchers Among the More Than 300 Illegal Weapons Seized in Connecticut

Are grenade launchers covered under the 2nd amendment?

And another:
Cops find themselves in arms race with criminals - CNN.com

I fully support legal gun ownership for protection and hunting, and I don't believe that the 2nd amendment will ever be overturned. However, anything that helps the police track the movement of illegal firearms is okay by me.
There will always be a black market for any firearm, which is exactly why a gun ban on "assault" weapons only hurts legal citizens in the long run. Fully-automatic weapons have been banned since 1934 when the Thompson .45 was popular (Tommy Gun). Without an incredibly difficult to get, and very strictly tracked Class III license, it's illegal for any civilian to own a fully-automatic weapon, sound suppressor (silencer), or destructive device (grenades, launchers, etc). The government can't track people, which are MUCH easier to track than weapons. The government can spend billions every year and can't make a dent in the illegal drug trade, so what makes you think they can prevent a black market for illegal firearms? Your New York statement proves this fact, as the city banned handguns years ago and it has little effect.

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is for the people to be able to defend themselves from government. By further restrictions on what a legal citizen can own, you further restrict the people's rights of defense. The government already has strength in firepower - semi-automatic "assault" weapons in the hands of the citizens is nothing compared to fully-automatic rifles and submachine guns that every police force has. It's our numbers and reasonable ability to defend ourselves that will always keep the government honest.

GUN CONTROL - What its done to the world In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated. China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

Don't be naive enough to think our government could never get to this point in the years ahead. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, anarchist, or anti-government nut. I believe in the Constitution, our Bill of Rights, and the reasons behind the laws created by our founding fathers. Crime needs to be controlled with tracking and punishment for those who commit crimes, not outright bans on the vast majority of legal citizens who would never let a firearm be used for illegal purposes. Our government can only protect us so far. What would happen if a simultaneous invasion of the US happened from Russia, China, North Korea, Venezuela, and Iran? We'd need far more than our military and police to protect our country. Just because it hasn't happened in 150 years doesn't mean that we won't have a war on our soil in the future. There's a reason Switzerland has never been invaded: every household owns a gun that is provided by the government, and they've been doing that for over 100 years.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 AM

This is HR 1022:

The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means any of the following:
  • `(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:

AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;
`(ii) AR-10;
`(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;
`(iv) AR70;
`(v) Calico Liberty;
`(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;
`(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;
`(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;
`(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;
`(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;
`(xi) M1 Carbine;
`(xii) Saiga;
`(xiii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;
`(xiv) SKS with detachable magazine;
`(xv) SLG 95;
`(xvi) SLR 95 or 96;
`(xvii) Steyr AUG;
`(xviii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;
`(xix) Tavor;
`(xx) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or
`(xxi) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).
`(B) The following pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:
  • `(i) Calico M-110;
    `(ii) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;
    `(iii) Olympic Arms OA;
    `(iv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; or
    `(v) Uzi.
`(C) The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:
  • `(i) Armscor 30 BG;
    `(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;
    `(iii) Striker 12; or
    `(iv) Streetsweeper.
`(D) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine, and that has--
  • `(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
    `(ii) a threaded barrel;
    `(iii) a pistol grip;
    `(iv) a forward grip; or
    `(v) a barrel shroud.
`(E)(i) Except as provided in clause (ii), a semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
`(ii) Clause (i) shall not apply to an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
`(F) A semiautomatic pistol that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and has--
  • `(i) a second pistol grip;
    `(ii) a threaded barrel;
    `(iii) a barrel shroud; or
    `(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at a location outside of the pistol grip.
`(G) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
`(H) A semiautomatic shotgun that has--
    `(ii) a pistol grip;
    `(iii) the ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
    `(iv) a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.
`(I) A shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
`(J) A frame or receiver that is identical to, or based substantially on the frame or receiver of, a firearm described in any of subparagraphs (A) through (I) or (L).
`(K) A conversion kit.
`(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.

Take note of the wording IF anyone who favors 'sensible gun restrictions cares enough to read it....

Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

And he has proposed banning any firearm that falls under the VERY loose descriptions of the AWB....and to adding more firearms to the list.

I guess he didn't read the Bill Of Rights that much...maybe he wasn't in class that day?
Please provide a link to where President-elect Obama stated that the Constitution is fundamentally flawed.

There is nothing in the Bill of Rights about gun ownership.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
This is HR 1022:

The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means any of the following:
  • `(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:

AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;
`(ii) AR-10;
`(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;
`(iv) AR70;
`(v) Calico Liberty;
`(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;
`(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;
`(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;
`(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;
`(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;
`(xi) M1 Carbine;
`(xii) Saiga;
`(xiii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;
`(xiv) SKS with detachable magazine;
`(xv) SLG 95;
`(xvi) SLR 95 or 96;
`(xvii) Steyr AUG;
`(xviii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;
`(xix) Tavor;
`(xx) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or
`(xxi) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).
`(B) The following pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:
  • `(i) Calico M-110;
    `(ii) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;
    `(iii) Olympic Arms OA;
    `(iv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; or
    `(v) Uzi.
`(C) The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:
  • `(i) Armscor 30 BG;
    `(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;
    `(iii) Striker 12; or
    `(iv) Streetsweeper.
`(D) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine, and that has--
    `(ii) a threaded barrel;
    `(iii) a pistol grip;
    `(iv) a forward grip; or
    `(v) a barrel shroud.
`(E)(i) Except as provided in clause (ii), a semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
`(ii) Clause (i) shall not apply to an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
`(F) A semiautomatic pistol that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and has--
  • `(i) a second pistol grip;
    `(ii) a threaded barrel;
    `(iii) a barrel shroud; or
    `(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at a location outside of the pistol grip.
`(G) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
`(H) A semiautomatic shotgun that has--
    `(ii) a pistol grip;
    `(iii) the ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
    `(iv) a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.
`(I) A shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
`(J) A frame or receiver that is identical to, or based substantially on the frame or receiver of, a firearm described in any of subparagraphs (A) through (I) or (L).
`(K) A conversion kit.
`(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.

Take note of the wording IF anyone who favors 'sensible gun restrictions cares enough to read it....
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Thanks for the enlightenment

Old 11-07-2008, 09:20 AM

SHOCK AUDIO - Obama: Constitution Fundamentally Flawed - Exclusive! « But As for Me! (http://butasforme.com/2008/10/27/shock-audio-obama-thinks-constitution-flawed-exclusive/ - broken link)

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
That's why the framers thought ahead to allow ammendments for changing times. You know, like the provision in the original document that sanctioned slavery. The one Obama referred to.

Maybe you disagree with that viewpoint.

Quote:
Prove it.

The AWB was repealed years ago. I don't have any big concerns that Obama and his Democratic congress will try to resurrect it.

You're apparently losing sleep over it, though. How come?

Quote:
You guess a lot.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:22 AM

Tiahrt is the author of the Tiahrt Amendment, which prohibits the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) from releasing information from its firearms trace database to anyone other than a law enforcement agency or prosecutor in connection with a criminal investigation. Additionally, any data so released is inadmissible in a civil lawsuit.Some groups, including the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Coalition, believe that having further access to the BATFE database would help municipal police departments track down sellers of illegal guns and curb crime. These groups are trying to undo the Tiahrt Amendment.

This is what Obama wants to repeal...law enforcement already HAVE access to the firearms trace database....

Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,456 times
How does a pistol grip make a weapon any more dangerous than a rifle with out?

How about a folding or telescopic stock?

Forward grips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections