Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:21 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,041,377 times

Advertisements

Even though I have committed myself to giving Obama a chance to prove me wrong about him, I am still looking ahead to 2012 and trying to figure out what it's going to take to unseat this jerk.

The way I see it, the GOP strategy will probably vary based on Obama's approval ratings toward the end of his first term. If he holds a high approval rating over 50%, Republicans are going to have to go for the "hail mary" and run someone unconventional. Bobby Jindal comes to mind, as he is young, fresh, energetic, and has the ability to galvanize the base. Even so, it might not be enough considering that if Obama is regarded at least somewhat favorably, there probably wouldn't be many moderates/independents ready to hand the WH back to Republicans given a not-so-distant memory of Bush's abysmal ratings. I'm not sure I have the answer to this scenario, but it will take some creative thinking.

The strategy is much more simple if Obama's approval ratings are in the 40's or below. You run Mitt Romney and let him run away with it. The GOP campaign strategy in this scenario will be to point out that we tried to vote for "change," bringing in someone inexperienced with the hopes that he would infuse Washington with new and fresh ideas, and it didn't work out. So let's put a "familiar old shoe" in there with a ton of experience and a long track record of success and let him right the ship.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,451,892 times
Obama will win in 2012 regardless of the Republican Strategy, IMO.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:28 PM

26,261 posts, read 49,173,354 times
My thoughts? The game plan in the OP is just "the great white hope" delusion in a not-so-new (Romney) package.

It won't be the face that wins for the GOP, it's got to be ideas and a real platform. The GOP has to show it stands for something meaningful again; if it does then it has a chance, but probably not in time for 2012.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,220,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Even though I have committed myself to giving Obama a chance to prove me wrong about him, I am still looking ahead to 2012 and trying to figure out what it's going to take to unseat this jerk.

The way I see it, the GOP strategy will probably vary based on Obama's approval ratings toward the end of his first term. If he holds a high approval rating over 50%, Republicans are going to have to go for the "hail mary" and run someone unconventional. Bobby Jindal comes to mind, as he is young, fresh, energetic, and has the ability to galvanize the base. Even so, it might not be enough considering that if Obama is regarded at least somewhat favorably, there probably wouldn't be many moderates/independents ready to hand the WH back to Republicans given a not-so-distant memory of Bush's abysmal ratings. I'm not sure I have the answer to this scenario, but it will take some creative thinking.

The strategy is much more simple if Obama's approval ratings are in the 40's or below. You run Mitt Romney and let him run away with it. The GOP campaign strategy in this scenario will be to point out that we tried to vote for "change," bringing in someone inexperienced with the hopes that he would infuse Washington with new and fresh ideas, and it didn't work out. So let's put a "familiar old shoe" in there with a ton of experience and a long track record of success and let him right the ship.

Thoughts?
We dont know what will occur in the next four years, but this sounds like the same old soulless manipulation strategy so far.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,609,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post

Thoughts?
I think Romney will never again get as close to the presidency as did this year.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:09 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,041,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I think Romney will never again get as close to the presidency as did this year.
I think if Romney had been the nominee rather than McCain, he would have won by double-digits. His economic track record would have been hard to turn away from in this climate, and he could have (and probably would have) spoken out against that idiotic bailout package of which 85% of Americans disapproved and Obama (and McCain) voted in favor.

Hindsight is 20/20. (Or foresight in my case, as I supported Romney from the beginning )

Old 11-17-2008, 02:13 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,044,208 times
Unless Obama messes up big time, I see no need for a 2012 Republican strategy.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:20 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,534,197 times
The GOP might field a Hispanic Republican in 2012 in an effort to recapture the swing states (of Florida, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada) from Obama. Heck, even vote rich and heavily Hispanic California might be in play with this strategy. I don't think it's going to happen, but if you are talking about a hail mary pass, then a credible Hispanic Republican may be your bet.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:54 PM

184 posts, read 360,080 times
Republican Strategy for 2012: Stop Breathing

Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,734,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
The GOP might field a Hispanic Republican in 2012 in an effort to recapture the swing states (of Florida, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada) from Obama. Heck, even vote rich and heavily Hispanic California might be in play with this strategy. I don't think it's going to happen, but if you are talking about a hail mary pass, then a credible Hispanic Republican may be your bet.
Is there a credible Republican Hispanic politician? No one comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections