Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 09:09 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,143,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
What is your definition of tool?
someone incapable of thinking critically who repeats meaningless, possibly even nonsensical statements

Quote:
and no it was not assinine, its just the way it is, you left leaners thought you had an ally in Obama, and it turns out he is just as much for our side as he is for yours, therefore you were a pawn, or a tool if you will.
That's hogwash. I wasn't referring to that post, though. I was talking about post #251.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:10 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,143,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And the Court has yet to limit, or prevent, prayers in Congress, other governmental meetings, or inaugurations
That isn't to its credit.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:11 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And the Court has yet to limit, or prevent, prayers in Congress, other governmental meetings, or inaugurations

Ya, and it sure has helped, hasn't it!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,934,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
This is a disturbing choice by Obama..Warren is a right wing homophobic preacher who helped pass prop 8. Warren equated gay marriage to incest, pedophilia and polygamy. Add to that he sandbagged Obama at the Saddleback forum.

One has to wonder if Obama is bending over too far to placate the right, while at the same time forgetting who elected him.
He is not bending over backwards. He feels that Warren and him have enough in common to work together to benefit all mankind.

In some ways, President-elect Obama and Warren share a worldview. Both are pragmatists who preach a gospel of personal responsibility and community involvement. Obama speaks of a post-racial, post-partisan landscape. Warren is considered a post-denominational religious leader. And they both seem willing to take flak for a decision.

Obama Defends Choice Of Warren : NPR

Old 12-20-2008, 02:18 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,033,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
I am coming around to him, and I am right wing. I no longer care about Rush Limbaugh nor do I listen to him anymore. He is mean spirited and seems to represent a small fraction of the GOP and not the base.
He does not represent Christianity that's for sure.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:24 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,033,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I'm just not sure what this has to do with free speech.

I don't think there's necessarily anything right about following traditions, either. Depends on what the tradition is.

There are a lot of other things worth getting angry about instead, but I don't appreciate it, no. Does not seem appropriate.

I thought the inauguration wasn't just for him but for the American people, also.

And if we had a Satanist president, would Satanic rituals at the inauguration sit well with everyone?

That's not the answer. Religion doesn't belong in government.
The more we remove Christianity from our government, the worse our country will become. You do not realize it but we owe our prosperity as a nation to God. Although this nation is far from perfect and we have made tons of mistakes, we owe our success to the Christian principles that our government was founded upon.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:30 AM

706 posts, read 1,242,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
He does not represent Christianity that's for sure.
Amen to that, and I didn't even realize this until he started trashing Huckabee or Palin.

There are alot of secular republicans that like to hoodwink christian voters, but I am starting to see through that.

If someone of the same magnitude is nominated by the Repubs in 2012, then I most likely will vote for Obama next time.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:49 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
You don't know that at all and is just more misinformation being posted by people who have no idea and want to start trouble. Nobody knows who McCain would have picked. It would not surprise me if he also would have picked Warren.
That was meant as a joke.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I think a lot of people, including much of the media, are missing the point here. The fact that Warren supported prop 8 or is opposed to gay marriage is not the problem per say. Even Obama is opposed to gay marriage, as are most Christians. Changing public opinion on this issue will take time and will occur gradually, not overnight. The problem with Warren is that he has made inflammatory and bigoted statements about gay relationships, likening them to incest and pedophilia. Such comparisons are inappropriate and only serve to promote bigotry, ignorance, and intolerance. Many of Obama's supporters, including this one, viewed his victory as a defeat of bigotry and intolerance and to see him invite someone like Warren to give the invocation at such an historic event that many have eagerly anticipated and hoped would be a unifying and uplifting experience in which everyone would feel included is bewildering and extremely disappointing.

It's perfectly fine for Obama to reach across the isle to the right and to conservative evangelicals to find common ground and to work together on policy issues, but he should not isolate and allow his base to be marginalized and humiliated in the process by propping up and giving a platform to those who use divisive and hateful speech against us.
I don't care to hear that type of speech from anyone, but the problem here is that most Christians, including ministers think this way. He would have a hard time finding someone that didn't, and if he were an unknown minister I am sure the press would dig up dirt about him. If he didn't think this way, then most of the Christians would be up in arms.

The other problem is that you can't please everyone. No matter who he picked there would be a problem.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I actually use to know Rev. Lowery....back in the day. He is a terrific man.
I was trying to look up information on him, and all I could find, but without proof is that he is pro-gay rights, even marriage. I think if this is true then it balances things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections