Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 02:29 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,212,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well, I'll settle down a little and like you, wait. But that religious stuff scares me...afterall, the current President said "god" told him to go to war....we don't need more of that!
I agree. I think Obama is placating the Religious Right in a way. To you and me, it may be easy to say, "Oh, as president I would say what I really think and not care what anyone thinks of me," but almost all politicians pander, or at least bend, to gain some support. I don't think this changes Obama's actual views which is why I'm not currently worried. And I think Obama is intelligent enough that in the case of a war, he would never claim that God told him to go to war but would actually tell us why the war was necessary. Then again, I don't think Obama would ever manufacture a war that would need to be excused as "God's will."

Old 12-19-2008, 04:29 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,935,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I don't see what the big fuss is all about....The guy is doing a prayer one time, right? That's my understanding....I don't agree w/every single decision any one person makes, including BO....Most of his positions and policies I agree with but not all of em....Remember he is only human & is the President of the U.S.A not of Red American or Blue American...Bush was one-sided in his approach and who he wanted to President for and we all know how that turned out....If my friends on the left are upset at this, you may be disappointed in how he may govern for the next several years.
You say one prayer, I say spiritual adviser from time to time?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:34 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,360,776 times
There was a time in my life that I would not wish someone like Warren to come and do a prayer, and I would not wish anyone to give a prayer. I am for gay rights and am an agnostic, but you know what? I have realized that you have to accept people as they are. People are not all good or all bad. Warren has some very good things about him or he would not have drawn in a lot of people. I would have few people in my life if I had to always have people in it who only agreed with me. I also imagine that it would be almost impossible to please everyone or to even find a progay minister. I think it is downright ignorant of the gays, if not just sensitive, to be upset over his pick, especially when Obama has stated that he is for gay rights. If they only knew that perhaps others that Obama has picked for his cabinet may be anti-gay.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:37 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Unfortunately I don't think Obama will change it. Warren represents the extreme anti-intelligence\ anti-gay\ anti-diversity [more or less the current GOP] that President Obama will have to hold his nose & allow the guy to pray. You know if McCain had won that he would never have consider Rev Wright b\c haters can't stand Black preachers talking the truth

Had McCain won Hagee would be giving the prayer.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:44 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,784,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There is no reason not to have an invocation if the person being sworn in desires it. And, President-Elect Obama wants an invocation.

Then, there is the issue of tradition.

BTW, do you oppose the use of a Bible during the swearing in ceremony also?
Actually yes I do. Bibles, Korans and other books of religion have no place in a government function. The government should be required to operate religion free in every function. Don't get me wrong- I am not an Atheist nor am I anti religion. I just think that religion belongs in a person's church, home and heart. It has no place in schools, government, workplaces or airports.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:05 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,929,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Had McCain won Hagee would be giving the prayer.
You don't know that at all and is just more misinformation being posted by people who have no idea and want to start trouble. Nobody knows who McCain would have picked. It would not surprise me if he also would have picked Warren.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,106,250 times
I'm happy Obama picked Warren for the inauguration prayer. We do need to come together (all of us).

One thing that stands out to me in all of this uproar is that Obama is against gay marriage also, so is Biden. So Obama and Warren do have things in common. Why doesn't the gay community talk about that? I never hear them talk about Obama being against gay marriage. Strange.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:10 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,488,120 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous Political Junky
You don't know that at all and is just more misinformation being posted by people who have no idea and want to start trouble. Nobody knows who McCain would have picked. It would not surprise me if he also would have picked Warren.
I seriously doubt McCain, the moderate Republican would have picked a guy like John Hagee. Could you imagine?

Quote:
Originally posted by Roma
I'm happy Obama picked Warren for the inauguration prayer. We do need to come together (all of us).

One thing that stands out to me in all of this uproar is that Obama is against gay marriage also, so is Biden. So Obama and Warren do have things in common. Why doesn't the gay community talk about that? I never hear them talk about Obama being against gay marriage. Strange.
You know Roma, I've wondered the same thing. Does this mean Obama and Biden are also bigots? hmmm....

Old 12-19-2008, 08:11 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
No disappointment here. I have supported Obama's run for president for that very reason. He has said frequently and eloquently that we are not red America and Blue America, but the United States of America. The first time I saw him say it was at the DNC in 2004, and that is when I said to spouse, "I hope that man is the next President of the United States."
Exactly. Many of us voted for Obama BECAUSE he promised to be the President of ALL Americans and said it was time to end the partisian fighting that was destroying our country. Now some people are shocked and dismayed because he is a politician that actually keeps his word.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:16 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Actually yes I do. Bibles, Korans and other books of religion have no place in a government function. The government should be required to operate religion free in every function. Don't get me wrong- I am not an Atheist nor am I anti religion. I just think that religion belongs in a person's church, home and heart. It has no place in schools, government, workplaces or airports.
This is trying to prevent freedom of speech. There is freedom of speech guaranteed and freedom OF religion guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections