Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,035,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Great post! Can't rep ya though. I've got to say this thread is really eye opening.

So to all the people upset about this....Do you honestly think that this will affect his policy toward gays? Will he be on the phone with Warren discussing social policy? Does this show that he's not friendly toward gays? I think not. It's simply a politically smart gesture toward evangelicals. And I"m sorry to say it, but evangelicals are just as much a part of the country as you are. He has chosen other more progressive pastors to be a part of his program, and he chooses one conservative one and you flip out.

One of the reasons I didn't vote for the Democrats in '04 was because I saw them mostly as anti-christian, secular fundamentalists. It wasn't that they were socially liberal, but that many of their most vocal supporters seemed to have a real hostile attitude toward religion in general, and mine in particular.

Now in hindsight, I've realized that Karl Rove played some part in manipulating that, that it's not altogether true (at least I like to think so) and Obama has shown me that a person of real christian convictions can be a leader in the Democrat party. But the reaction of far left people on this forum is beginning to make me remember why so many christians have a fear of those on the left.

Remember in your disagreements with Christian Fundamentalists...do not become Secular Fundamentalists yourselves.

In any case, I'm off to bed. Good night and God bless to all, Fundies on both sides
Excellent post but cannot rep you!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,255,233 times
Smile I have not read through this thread but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
This is a disturbing choice by Obama..Warren is a right wing homophobic preacher who helped pass prop 8. Warren equated gay marriage to incest, pedophilia and polygamy. Add to that he sandbagged Obama at the Saddleback forum.

One has to wonder if Obama is bending over too far to placate the right, while at the same time forgetting who elected him.
I think this is a sign that President Elect Obama is reaching across "the aisle" so the speak so I view this as a good thing. Lighten up.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 PM

862 posts, read 2,622,863 times
Sorry to break it to all the extreme leftists, but Obama is not extreme left in his politics, and he will continue showing this by extending his hand to the right.

This choice of Rick Warren will not be the last. Obama will show that he does not and will not support extreme left viewpoints. Obama wants to be a MODERATE. Reaching across the aisle in many areas.

So sad, too bad, to all the Obama-maniacs. You will be greatly disillusioned within the next few months when he will not cater to the extreme left.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,251,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Sorry to break it to all the extreme leftists, but Obama is not extreme left in his politics, and he will continue showing this by extending his hand to the right.

This choice of Rick Warren will not be the last. Obama will show that he does not and will not support extreme left viewpoints. Obama wants to be a MODERATE. Reaching across the aisle in many areas.

So sad, too bad, to all the Obama-maniacs. You will be greatly disillusioned within the next few months when he will not cater to the extreme left.
The extreme left are not the ones who elected Obama. There are not enough of them to do so.

Obama was elected by the moderates of the country, in part as a backlash to W trying to shove the country far right. They pushed back.

The republicans would do well to heed the words of Colin Powell and Newt Gingrich if they are serious about remaining a viable force in American politics.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:05 PM

273 posts, read 343,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post

No disappointment here. I have supported Obama's run for president for that very reason. He has said frequently and eloquently that we are not red America and Blue America, but the United States of America. The first time I saw him say it was at the DNC in 2004, and that is when I said to spouse, "I hope that man is the next President of the United States."

Old 12-18-2008, 10:59 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
I wonder if he is going to even extend his hand to the far left at all though...

Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I wonder if he is going to even extend his hand to the far left at all though...
Probably not.

As I said above, there aren't enough of them to make a difference.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:08 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,866,076 times
I think it is so ironic that people that did not support Obama are now defending others on here that did in this regard.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:11 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
Well the media propelled him to stardom through an obsession and in turn the far left strong arm of the media made him out to be their messiah the right played on it and exploited it and they fed each other.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Don't look now, but the media is not far left.

If you really believe it is, perhaps you're standing a bit too far right to see America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections