Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 12:05 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,015,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You're going to have a VERY LONG 4 years. Whine, whine, whine.
Yeah! Didn't anyone tell you, only liberals are allowed to whine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,031,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Yeah what the hell was that about?

I misunderstood part of it when he said "...when a red man can get ahead, man"

I was thinking "How does he know what I do at night???" I know the government has increased its intelligence efforts, but this is getting ridiculous!

(goes to search bedrooms for hidden cameras)
OMG. I can not stop laughing, I admit it. That and the "head band" comment above.

Folks. You DID not that that wasn't Obama himself saying those things. Right?

Just curious.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 PM

128 posts, read 362,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Eh, my mind kept wandering as it always does when he speaks. I know a lot of people say he's an eloquent speaker but all during the campaign, his speeches were so full of 'ums' and pregnant pauses I couldn't keep my mind on what he was trying to say. It drove me nuts. Didn't hear the ums today but his manner of speech does nothing for me like those who praise it so highly. But what I did hear today was ok. Nothing spectacular. But then, why does he need it to be? He's 'in'.

The one that drove me absolutely nuts was that woman (not sure what her name is but she had short, curly hair and looked to be about 1/4 Black) and she-spoke-like-this-during-her-entire-speech. Make it stop!
Newsense:
That was Elizabeth Alexander, and, BTW, that was her own poetry she was reading. You know (or maybe you don't?), poetry is read a little differently than a regular speech or other prose. Seems like those "1/4 Black" folks already have something to teach us about culture.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
OMG. I can not stop laughing, I admit it. That and the "head band" comment above.
I know - OMG is right

Old 01-20-2009, 12:21 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,729,311 times
The swearing in is over and I must have missed the part where Obama took his oath on the Koran rather than the bible. I had it from numerous sources here on the CD forum that he was to be sworn in on the Koran. Tell me they weren't wrong!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:27 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,727,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
Newsense:
That was Elizabeth Alexander, and, BTW, that was her own poetry she was reading. You know (or maybe you don't?), poetry is read a little differently than a regular speech or other prose. Seems like those "1/4 Black" folks already have something to teach us about culture.
You beat me to it! Thanks.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:27 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,091,814 times
Is anyone listening to this total idiot who called in from Iowa to C-span???Good grief

Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Benediction at Obama 's inauguration, Rev. Joseph Lowery:

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen. Say Amen"

Oh yeah this is change we can believe in! Keep making those evil whites out as racist, lets call Asians yellow while we're at it all white you give the inauguration benediction of the first black president.

So much for unity.
When are you folks going to understand that talking about race is not the same thing as being racist? Not to mention that it was funny.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:29 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,015,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
Newsense:
I know all about poetry, I've both written it and given readings; but it's usually read with some personality, not like one word sentences.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
The swearing in is over and I must have missed the part where Obama took his oath on the Koran rather than the bible. I had it from numerous sources here on the CD forum that he was to be sworn in on the Koran. Tell me they weren't wrong!
I'll be listening for the explanation of this one as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections