Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:25 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,015,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
Should we expect him to eat crepes in July to celebrate Bastille Day?
Isn't the traditional way to celebrate Bastille Day to have dancing in the streets? I'd love to see something like that. They could put a temporary floor on the national mall and have the Obamas leading the first dance.

I like the idea of a maple syrup day to honor Canada, but not in July. Maybe they could honor a winter Canadian holiday? Because July's way too hot to even think about eating maple syrup. Also, I wouldn't suggest holding a moose parade on Canada Day, either. What if the Gov. from Alaska happened to be in town? She might shoot the parade!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,402,528 times
I'm still holding out for Festivus.

Ken

Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM

10,654 posts, read 18,704,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Christmas is a US federal holiday and St, Patricks Day is an excuse for people to get drunk. Your combination of pc beliefs and Obama can do no wrong leads your post to EPIC FAILHOOD!
The President always celebrates these things, so it's not a matter of "Obama can do no wrong".

Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,731,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
So I guess that means the US Government REALLY PANDERED to the Christians.

LOL
More silly, inane logic from the Obamabashers.

Ken
Is Cinco de Mayo, a US federal holiday? Not yet.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 PM

10,654 posts, read 18,704,531 times
Quote:
Is Kwanzaa a Federal Holiday?
Presidential Message: Kwanzaa 2008

Is St. Patty's Day a Federal Holiday?
BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | White House celebrates St Patrick's Day

Is Yom Kippur a Federal Holiday?
President Bush's Message on Yom Kippur

Fact is, all Presidents celebrate all types of holidays and observances, considering we are, indeed, a country of immigrants with different backgrounds, Federal Holidays aside.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,402,528 times
Quote:
ALL a Federal holiday means is that Federal employees get the day off.
The fact that something is not an official day off doesn't mean the President can't celebrate it. All a Federal Holiday means is that at some point in the past Congress and the President pandered to someone who wanted it as a Federal holiday.

I'm sure Obama didn't give his wife a Valentines Day card because - well (according to your silly logic, it's not a Federal holiday). I'm sure the Bush girls never went to a Halloween because - well it's not a Federal holiday either.

Silly silly logic.

Ken

Old 05-06-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I'm still holding out for Festivus.

Ken
Yes! Yes! We need Festivus. But I forget the details of how we're supposed to celebrate it. Does it have to be in December?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 PM

Washington DC is one place that knows how to celebrate holidays. I love Memorial Day here. They have an event called Rolling Thunder that is awe inspiring--and also a much more appropriate way to honor vets than having a sale at the local mall.

Veterans ride in from all over the country. Thousands of them ride motorcycles from the Pentagon, past the memorials, and to Arlington Cemetary. There are a few floats, as well. It's an impressive sound, let me tell you, and along the parade route are booths, bands, and speakers addressing the issues of how to improve veteran benefits and resolve POW/MIA issues.

Memorial Day 2009 in Washington, DC

Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,498,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
I don't see a reason for the President of the United States to celebrate St. Patrick's Day either, unless he's catholic.
Don't tell these guys this is a Catholic holiday (and that they must be French Catholics to celebrate it):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
No kidding! Perhaps the OP means to suggest that any celebration of our
country's cultural diversity is a very bad thing. Cancel the margaritas and
Mexican food, rename several states, stop the bar-b-ques, no more green beer in March, forget Valentine's Day...cancel all holidays, in fact. People having a good time is just plain wrong!
Quote:
Christmas is a US federal holiday and St, Patricks Day is an excuse for people to get drunk. Your combination of pc beliefs and Obama can do no wrong leads your post to EPIC FAILHOOD!
Quote:
Perhaps we can co-opt the holidays from all over and make them our own. Then you'd have nothing to complain about.

Hmm... now I wonder where we can find a precedent for that...

Also, while I'm at it, I wonder what the pagen god Yule has to do with Jesus' birth and a fecund bunny has to do with Jesus' death...

Old 05-06-2009, 01:49 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,418,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Cinco de Mayo is not really celebrated in Mexico. It's a minor event there. It's a major event for Americans with Mexican heritage. The President is right to celebrate it along with the large fraction of the population for which it has much meaning. He had a seder dinner, for christ sake. Did you post a comment then?

I took my kids this weekend for our local event - great food, great music, fun people. Why not?

Anybody who asks a question like this is suspect.
I took my son to a parade, brought some food from some of the vendors and then watched the fireworks. I celebrate just about any holiday that involves a lot of music and a lot of food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections