Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:46 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,030,439 times

Advertisements

TexasTheKid, I can't speak for Sonrise, but I wasn't complaining; I'm not sure why the OP is so offended by President Obama or anyone else enjoying a celebration. Like Lord Balfour and normie, I'm
thinking that Festivus For The Rest Of Us might be a great holiday (if I can opt out of the traditional wrestling match). Great Mardi Gras pic...makes me wonder if Mom's Society Page Lounge is still up and
running. Like natalayjones, I'm up for about any holiday that involves food and music. Especially food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:03 PM

17,649 posts, read 16,808,569 times
Why did they celebrate? Has he *ever* missed the opportunity to party?

Old 05-06-2009, 03:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,263,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
Forget that it was the May 4th...

Why would an acting US president celebrate the day of Mexico's defense against an invading French Army?

Should we expect him to eat crepes in July to celebrate Bastille Day?

Should she sip vodka in February to honor Red Army Day?

How about some good ole' maple syrup for Canada Day on July 1st?
Obviously he loves all the other countries and Hates America. Duh. Next thread.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 PM

372 posts, read 851,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
TexasTheKid, I can't speak for Sonrise, but I wasn't complaining; I'm not sure why the OP is so offended by President Obama or anyone else enjoying a celebration. Like Lord Balfour and normie, I'm
thinking that Festivus For The Rest Of Us might be a great holiday (if I can opt out of the traditional wrestling match). Great Mardi Gras pic...makes me wonder if Mom's Society Page Lounge is still up and
running. Like natalayjones, I'm up for about any holiday that involves food and music. Especially food.
As the original poster... I wasn't offended by his celebration. I just didn't understand why a US president would celebrate another nation's holiday. Throughout the thread I've repeatedly apologized for not fully understanding the meaning of the holiday.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:15 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,413,223 times
Quote:
As the original poster... I wasn't offended by his celebration. I just didn't understand why a US president would celebrate another nation's holiday. Throughout the thread I've repeatedly apologized for not fully understanding the meaning of the holiday.
Yeah, I know.
As often happens, the thread took on a life of it's own.
Don't worry about it.

Ken

Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,500,381 times
Quote:
Well, then to clarify... Cinco de Mayo is a holiday celebrated by Mexican-Americans and not really Mexicans. Obama "celebrated" Cinco de Mayo because a substantial number of potential voters celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It's politics. He's just looking out for 2012. That's the simple, concise answer to your question. It's pandering, pure and simple, and while I personally like Obama, I also acknowledge he's not above the game of politick. Where people get out of joint about the issue is that your question comes across as hypercriticism of Obama, rather than a genuine curious speculation.

In reality, it's good that people question the actions of our elected officials. It helps us to keep them in line and makes them actually do their jobs. It only gets bad when standards of behavior aren't scrutnized equally across the board. The behavior demanded of a Democrat should be the same behavior demanded of a Republican. Or an independent, or a greenie, etc.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,030,439 times
Quite right, DasNootz; I should have used the past tense. The Spanish students at our local high school celebrate both Cinco de Mayo and the Day of the Dead, while a nearby community hosts a lengthy
Festa Italiana every summer. Celebrating the cultural holidays of other countries or groups seems very natural to me, and any opportunity for people to gain some understanding of others is beneficial. I apologize for making an erroneous post.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,905,024 times
It's obviously pandering to a foreign country and one ethnic group -- but he's not the first president to do this kind of thing.

Obama is a globalist just like Bush was a globalist.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,948,736 times
Quote:
Forget that it was the May 4th...

Why would an acting US president celebrate the day of Mexico's defense against an invading French Army?

Should we expect him to eat crepes in July to celebrate Bastille Day?

Should she sip vodka in February to honor Red Army Day?

How about some good ole' maple syrup for Canada Day on July 1st?
Pandering to the Mexican voter, legal or illegal. You will see him doing this with every voter block with the exception the conservative voting block. I wonder how soon until the 4th of July gets dropped?

Old 05-09-2009, 01:38 PM

8,288 posts, read 13,604,616 times
Cinco de Mayo is celebrated more in the US than it is in Mexico. It is a cultural holiday that the restuarant & bar industry took to heart to promote drinking & eating. Ask any Mexican American what the historical significance is and most won't have a clue. The Obama haters in here would have you believe he's pandering for the hispanic vote which he happened to get 66% of during the last election.

I'm sure having tacos and celebrating Cinco de Mayo for a few hours in the White House isn't going to be a huge factor in future elections for hispanics since you idiots seem to think we hispanics care more about that than things like healthcare, education, jobs, etc.

I'm not Mexican but I do celebrate Cinco de Mayo as well as St. Patrick's Day which Obama also celebrates snce he does have Irish blood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections