Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
no, the statement is that democrats hate the private sector. this is not a lie, it's common knowledge. why do you think corporate taxes are so high? corporate taxes should be 0%.. dems love taking over every aspect of the private sector. thefinalsay lays down the truth.
Remember your new vocabulary word? "Straw Man." Your first sentence is one. Here's a hint: spouting talking points that you get from Limbaugh or Fox or Worldnutdaily or Townhall just makes you look stupid.

And corporate taxes are not high. America has some of the lowest corporate taxes in the industrialized world.

Again, you claimed that the Dems wanted to take over the companies, when it was the companies who begged for the intervention. My 8-yr-olds can see the idiocy there.

Wingnuts are just so full of stupid ideas. Correcting you all the time is tiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
And corporate taxes are not high. America has some of the lowest corporate taxes in the industrialized world.

The United States has some of the highest corporate tax rates in the world:

The Tax Foundation - U.S. States Lead the World in High Corporate Taxes

Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

The United States has some of the highest corporate tax rates in the world:

The Tax Foundation - U.S. States Lead the World in High Corporate Taxes
Only when you look at the tax brackets. You're ignoring the actual taxes paid, which are much lower due to tax breaks and shelters. Many of the top companies in America pay no taxes.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Remember your new vocabulary word? "Straw Man." Your first sentence is one. Here's a hint: spouting talking points that you get from Limbaugh or Fox or Worldnutdaily or Townhall just makes you look stupid.

Wingnuts are just so full of stupid ideas.

Quote:
Only when you look at the tax brackets. You're ignoring the actual taxes paid, which are much lower due to tax breaks and shelters. Many of the top companies in America pay no taxes.
More ignoring of facts and outright lies in order to make an argument you were wrong about?

The ONLY companies in America that pay NO taxes are those that did not make a profit.. In addition, OTHER countries ALSO have similar tax breaks, and, if a company in another country is unprofitable, they ALSO pay NO taxes.. No different than individuals..

No profit = no taxes.. its the way it works for everyone, pretty much everywhere..
Quote:
Correcting you all the time is tiring.
Finally something we can agree on..

Last edited by pghquest; 05-08-2009 at 05:41 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 06:12 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats what happens when you throw money at the problem and not let CEO's do their job..

WOW!!!! All I can say is WOW - what a capacity for self-deception!!!

Didn't we let CEO's 'do their job' from 2001-2008??? Did that result in a robust economy, rising standards of living, good paying job opportunites???

In a Pig's Eye maybe...

It resulted in a wrecked economy, at least a 1.2 Trillion deficit (had Obama proposed NO spending increases), 20% of home owners upside-down in their mortages if they were lucky and out in the street if not, rapidly increasing unemployment, and a severe collapse in consumer confidence that for a while risked actual depression...

Yep - just 'let the CEO's Do their Job' - their Hatchet Job!!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
WOW!!!! All I can say is WOW - what a capacity for self-deception!!!

Didn't we let CEO's 'do their job' from 2001-2008??? Did that result in a robust economy, rising standards of living, good paying job opportunites???

In a Pig's Eye maybe...

It resulted in a wrecked economy, at least a 1.2 Trillion deficit (had Obama proposed NO spending increases), 20% of home owners upside-down in their mortages if they were lucky and out in the street if not, rapidly increasing unemployment, and a severe collapse in consumer confidence that for a while risked actual depression...

Yep - just 'let the CEO's Do their Job' - their Hatchet Job!!
haha, your funny, they started doing their job in "2001"? What did they do before that?

All of your ranting ignores one very simple truth..

The government caused this problem by propping up these businesses, propping up the mortgage industry, propping up the housing industry, and did NOT MAKE them do their job..

Its a collapse because of a lack of free markets, not because of one.. But hey, keep hitting your head and ignoring the truth, and then proclaim the government is the savior for saving us from a problem THEY created, not CEOs..

Oddly enough, Obama is now MAKING them do their job (exactly what I said needs to happen), have you seen the banking report? He finally gets it, or maybe he's had enough criticism, when will liberals? Probably never..

Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
More ignoring of facts and outright lies in order to make an argument you were wrong about?
I wouldn't talk if I were you.

Plus, I'm not wrong. Wingnuts always make the claim that the US pays the highest (or second highest) corporate taxes - only because they look at the tax tables. They are the ones who are wrong. That is ignoring facts and telling lies. They should look at actual taxes paid.

Is that concept too hard for you to understand?

Quote:
The ONLY companies in America that pay NO taxes are those that did not make a profit.. In addition, OTHER countries ALSO have similar tax breaks, and, if a company in another country is unprofitable, they ALSO pay NO taxes.. No different than individuals..
You realize that profit is defined after a lot of accounting tricks and write-offs happen, right? So the actual profit of a company is not the same as the "profit" reported on tax forms, right?

If they claim they own no taxes because they made no profit, it's most likely because they are using our tax laws to shelter income, defer income, take artificial losses allowed by the tax code. (This year, it's more likely to be because of the conservative-caused recession, but this is unusual.)

Quote:
Further, in its Paying Taxes 2009 publication, based on its 2009 Doing Business report, the World Bank-International Finance Corporation estimated that the United States has a lower effective rate of current corporate tax than that of several other nations, including Germany, Canada, India, China, Brazil, Japan, and Italy.
Or maybe you don't see that, and are just a Pollyanna.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Plus, I'm not wrong. Wingnuts always make the claim that the US pays the highest (or second highest) corporate taxes - only because they look at the tax tables.
Is there a "secret" tax table that is hidden somewhere from the public?
Quote:
They should look at actual taxes paid.

Is that concept too hard for you to understand?
Not at all, fine, I'm all for showing what they actually paid and comparing it to OTHER COUNTRIES..

Since you made the argument, you start, and prove they PAY less here than a similar company, with similar revenues in another country...

I'll be waiting for that one... forever
Quote:
You realize that profit is defined after a lot of accounting tricks and write-offs happen, right? So the actual profit of a company is not the same as the "profit" reported on tax forms, right?
You do realise thats the same in every country and adds nothing to your argument, right? Account practices are rather standard... the only thing that isnt standard is what deductions and depreciation rate companies (and individuals) are allowed to take..

Depreciation at a faster or slower rate does not mean less taxes, it just moves the year taxes are paid..
Quote:
If they claim they own no taxes because they made no profit, it's most likely because they are using our tax laws to shelter income, defer income, take artificial losses allowed by the tax code. (This year, it's more likely to be because of the conservative-caused recession, but this is unusual.)
If someone makes no profit this year because they defer their income, they pay a tax on that "defered" income next year, often times at a higher tax bracket, the only benefit to doing so is allocating money for further investments.. Artificial losses are a myth, they are created by capital expenses and investments, to create FUTURE tax liabilities.

Yes, companies can make money this year and not pay taxes, but only by increasing future tax liabilities, no different than individuals who write off homes, mortgages, investment losses, bankrupties, credit card debt, car expenses for "work".. etc..

Old 05-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Is there a "secret" tax table that is hidden somewhere from the public?...
This is another argument that you just need to give up.

Frankie made a post above, where he/she claimed that the US "Lead(s) the World in High Corporate Taxes."

I said that wasn't true if you looked at actual taxes paid. Pretty sensible point.

Then you made the weird point that the only companies that didn't pay taxes were those that didn't make a profit. (Ignoring the fact that profit is calculated after many of the accounting games are played).

I provided proof that US corporations pay lower taxes than many in the industrialized world. That's reality. Where Frankie pointed to tax tables, I pointed to actual taxes paid.

Why are you still arguing? What is so hard for you to understand? You make no sense.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,709 times
you have actually corrected nothing. all you have done is make yourself look foolish. I have never listened to limbaugh in my entire life, I have no cable, therefore no fox news, and I have never hear of townhall or worldnutdaily. corporate taxes should be 0%. now go back into your lily white cave that is idaho, and bark at dem southern folk that hate the blacks. we all take you very seriously. in totally related news, I am going to indiana today to tell peyton manning how to play quarterback. I'm like you see, I have an inside perspective on something because I saw it on TV.

Quote:

Again, you claimed that the Dems wanted to take over the companies, when it was the companies who begged for the intervention. My 8-yr-olds can see the idiocy there.

Wingnuts are just so full of stupid ideas. Correcting you all the time is tiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections