Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 PM

37,179 posts, read 19,183,039 times

Advertisements

[quote=nmnita;26082808]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

let's see? 1-the number of young people who supporter the Obama 4 years ago and voted were much higher than the number who are apt to vote in 2012: 2-we heard the day after the 2008 election the Republicans were dead, we heard it from several sources, then came 2010 and 3-what the heck? this thread is old, why was it reincarnated? I would add just one more thing, I guess you don't pay a lot of attention to polls, if you did you would see the majority of married women support the Republicans and the majority of independants consider themselves conservative...did you know this? If so, why do you feel the way you do?
You will see in just a few short weeks. And no, I pay no attention whatever to the polls. They can be manipulated to prove whatever someone wants to prove.

America is a lot more liberal than the republicans think (or hope).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Republicans are better than Democrats on spending. There is no question about that. Just check any of the sites that monitor such things, be it Citizens Against Government Waste or National Taxpayers Union. It's the 'moderate" GOPers (Bush, Collins, Snowe, etc) that ruin the Republicans' reputations on spending. True conservatives like Ron Paul are very good when it comes to lower spending.

Environment and energy are not hand in hand, but they do have a relationship. I hope you know Global Warming is not about saving the environment; it's just about gaining more control over our lives and raising taxes, energy prices, etc. The Democrats have no energy policy, except wind and solar. They are pretty much opposed to everything else. They're taking land off of production and, in Cap and Trade, passed what is arguably the worst bill to ever pass the House of Representatives. There are just as many scientists (if not more) against global warming than for it. A lot of people are skeptical about global warming. It has been said that the Earth has been cooling since 2001. The GOP had a much better energy plan than the Dems' Cap and Trade boondoggle.

I don't know about any higher education bills that have been passed or opposed by either parties. My guess is you're talking about things like Pell grants, etc.

I'm not into reaching out to people after having segregated them into categories. When you talk about the GOP reaching out to minorities, do you mean handing out blanket amnesty, supporting affirmative action and playing the race card when in a jam? That's basically the Democrats' outreach to minorities. It has worked, though. Conservative principles can help minorities just as they help anyone else. Smaller Government, lower taxes, private Healthcare market, modest regulation, free markets etc are policies that helps all citizens regardless of race and gender. Keep in mind that the areas with the poorest minorities have been controlled by Democrats for decades.

The public health option is a disaster. It has failed in Canada and everywhere else it has been tried. We have the most advanced Healthcare system in the world here. Notice how many wealthy foreigners come here for high quality care. Many (if not most) young people can purchase Health insurance for a fair price. Many of these people choose NOT to sacrifice their iPhones, social lives, clothes, etc to save the money for Health insurance. I'm not even sure most people truly support a public health insurance option, when they realize that it may lead to single payer (and longer waits, lower quality care) and will almost certainly lead to higher taxes. You can rig a poll depending on the outcome you're looking for. Just b/c people support it, doesn't mean it has to (or should be) implemented. Why not BMW's for all of us? I support that! The public option would be allowed to offer very cheap premiums b/c it can stay viable despite losing money. Private companies can not do that. That would result in the loss of many private insurance companies and, down the road, could lead to single payer. The Government run insurance programs we already have (Medicare and Medicaid) have tens of trillions of dollars in unfunded liabilities. Medicaid is one of the biggest causes for the states' huge deficits. The public programs also reimburse providers at low levels. If the only insurance options are public, then it will be harder for some hospitals and physician practices to stay in business.
^^^...and this is why the Repubs are in big trouble for the future!! You claim you're a young person, but you sound like the intolerant grey beards of old!!

My parents grew up in Louisiana and were Republicans until Nixon. The Republicans blew it with AAs because they had us for quite a while in the South.

Your right wing ignorance and blindness is palpable. Wow!! LOSING!!!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:16 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
The Republicans have been very busy driving 10 penny nails into their foreheads ever since 2010 when it comes to the fastest growing minority in America.
The Hispanics will continue to grow ever larger as a minority, and they have assimilated into mainstream America very quickly. All one has to do is take a look at how popular Hispanics are in all our arts right now, and how much Hispanic-Anglo marriage is going on.
Naturally so. Their cultures, especially the Mexican culture, is so much like ours as to be almost nonexistent in differences. And it has been a full 2-way street; salsa now sells more than ketchup.

Packing their kids and their grannies off to the old home country and dumping them off across the border is something that's gonna stick in their memories. In my personal experience, Hispanics are very much more family oriented than Anglos are now, and more actively practice their religion. They also hold to their old traditions, which is a conservative trait.

Given a fair shot, I think many I know are naturals for joining the Republican party if they had only been given anything approaching a fair shot and a little empathy from the party.

And they are much more actively social than most Anglos; they don't den up at home like Anglos do, and like to get out and visit each other a lot. if they were voters, they would show up in bunches and would vote largely the same way their friends and others would go.

The Democrats haven't done much better by them, but the Dems did not lead the charge to close the borders and kill 'em all out in the desert. I believe the Repubs are going to hurt real bad once they realize that big nail is driven in pretty deep. Right now, it appears they're so numb that the pain just hasn't set in yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections