Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,021,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
The GOP will fail to derail Obama - because the economy will eventually come around - and the deficits will shrink - and unemployment will shrink - and then the public will see the GOP as the pure-obstructionists they truly have become, and nothing more... Then the GOP will really be toast...

You and florida.bob have it nailed; there has been a sea change in our youth; unlike some of their elders, they enjoy diversity and seem to mingle much more easily. Because a large part of the GOP is the South, there are problems with inclusion. Young people have fewer problems with the idea of intermarriage; when I was young, it was unheard-of for a Baptist to marry a Catholic! There was some anti-Catholic bias when JFK ran, but that is much less acceptable in today's culture. And while it goes unreported, there is a growing sense of resentment at what many see as the juvenile
behavior of some Republicans in terms of working in a bi-partisan way to
address the very serious problems that the country faces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,270,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
The younger group of voters (to which I belong) consists of many brain dead sheep who think it's cool to vote for Obama and the (D) party.
Agree. Young people are heavily influenced by peer pressure and if all their friends vote for Obama they should to.

In reality, Republicans would get more young voters if they would let the gay issue go. Pro-life is fine as many younger people are pro-life, but most of them don't see the big issue with homosexuality the older generation does.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agree. Young people are heavily influenced by peer pressure and if all their friends vote for Obama they should to.

In reality, Republicans would get more young voters if they would let the gay issue go. Pro-life is fine as many younger people are pro-life, but most of them don't see the big issue with homosexuality the older generation does.
This is a straw man, b/c I'd gladly take an anti-gay-marriage candidate over one who is going to ruin the Economy, open the borders, takeover Healthcare, massively hike taxes and inflate away the currency.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:31 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,487,433 times
Quote:

Homosexuality isn't even one of the issues anymore for Presidential candidates.

Influence is a big problem though, when it comes to being honest with one's self ( and being educated in the first place about the economic and social issues ) when placing a vote for what is good for America and what is not.

If Paris Hilton says, "Don't vote for an old dude."

Does that mean that young Barack supporters were aware that he would outspend all previous Presidents combined?

I think that most young Democrats don't even know what that kind of spending means. Even worse ... they don't care.

"A New World My Butt"

People can convince themselves that they are growing an idealistic meadow where unicorns, rainbows and the ACLU co-exist and prance around gayly.

Democrats are spending us into the deepest hole imaginable.
Democrats are spending us into the deepest hole imaginable.

The American People have to stop them.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
Without this deficit spending on infrastructure our economy would have completely tanked thanks to the Republican policies. I wonder why deficit spending for needed infrastructure repairs is so evil and the same deficit spending under Republicans for a useless Star Wars missile defense (Star Wars never stopped a missile or a terrorist btw) is right and proper.

Why should the American People try to stop something that is directly benefiting them? Apparently most Americans are not that ideological or stupid.

This deficit could be rendered meaningless if we restructured our income tax from the regressive mess it currently is into a simple highly progressive system which would pay the debt holders back with their own money. Then we could add to Federal revenue with countervailing tariffs and excise taxes on alcohol, tobacco and marijuana.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:13 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,128,249 times
Our most popular president in the last 50 years was Reagan and he was as old as dirt. The problem the GOP has is it has weak candidates like Huckabee, McCain, Gindal, etc.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:19 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,118,315 times
I agree with the posters that state that the majority of the under 30 crowd are easily duped and are followers of the in/hip/cool. I myself am I that age group and I can assure you that are are alot of moderates and Republicans as well as many Democrats among us young'uns.

I took a political science course in Fall 08 and when we went around the room and the professor asked who was voting for who almost every Obama supporter to a person said something like "because he's not Bush" (even though Bush wasent even running not could he legally run!), "because he's good looking" (I kid you not), and of course "because I am exicited to have a Back person running for president". The class was split about 50/50 with a few 3rd party people in between. I was also pleased with the amount of Ron Paul supporters as well.

My point is, most people in my age group arent thinking the financial costs of Obama's policies a quarter of a century or half a century from now.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:24 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,478,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Without this deficit spending on infrastructure our economy would have completely tanked thanks to the Republican policies.
The conservatives want the economy to tank so they have a reason to hack out all social services.

I think "voted for Obama because McCain was worse" is a legitimate reason, at least for first and second time voters.

I also thinks it's funny that young people are dumb, but older people voting on wedge issues is somehow enlightened. Spare me.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:52 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,404,782 times
Quote:

I would not be so sure about the abortion question. Young voters are overwhelmingly pro-choice by a margin of 49-29% with 21% being in between. A 20% gap is kind of a big deal.

Abortion, Economics Key Issues For Young Voters - washingtonpost.com

Old 07-10-2009, 06:26 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,021,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I would not be so sure about the abortion question. Young voters are overwhelmingly pro-choice by a margin of 49-29% with 21% being in between. A 20% gap is kind of a big deal.

Abortion, Economics Key Issues For Young Voters - washingtonpost.com
Thanks for the interesting link. It leads one to wonder how much wider the gap would have been without 3 decades of constant attacks by the right wing. And interesting to understand that the gap is as wide as it is, despite the attacks and barrage of anti-choice rhetoric. Like their older counterparts, young people are more moderate than the extreme positions held by some in either party would have one believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections