Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:53 PM

843 posts, read 1,299,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't know what the Republicans can do. They have driven every bit of moderation out of their party (I expect that Snowe and Collins will eventually be driven away too) and they have become a collection of religious nutcases, "states rights" racist, homophobes, immigrant bashers (yes legal immigrants too), milita screwballs and big business interest. They certainly don't represent anything that even approaches what real America is like out here.

How Maine's GOP Senators Are Key to Obama's Agenda - TIME

There were once Republicans like Eisenhower and Rockefeller that had some sense and wanted to do right by the country. We don't have such people in that party anymore. Even the relatives of Ike and Nixon don't recognize what the Republican Party has become:

Julie Nixon Eisenhower: Barack Obama supporter and Republican Leadership Council director | Muckety.com - See the news

The National Interest
Do you have any clue what you are talking about?

President Bush was clearly to the left of center. He did nothing of significance in office that that could even be remotley considered "right-wing" or "conservative"

People like you put personalities before every thing else. Anything a republican does is bad. Anything a democrat does is good.

It is quite pathetic.

Last edited by NorthPoleMarathoner; 07-12-2009 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You've been trained to view them as "evil" and that your tax dollars are much better spent killing people in Iraq and Afghanistan then in overhauling our system of medical care (ranked dead last in the industrial world)
Democrats were okay with using tax dollars to kill people in Vietnam, Kosovo and Bosnia. They were also ok with killing people in Iraq and Afghanistan. They just magically decided it was a bad idea to be in Iraq at some point. Funny they don't seem to mind that Obama wants to send more troops to Afghanistan, but thought it was terrible when Bush did the same in Iraq.

Republican tax dollars are evil. Democrat tax dollars are good. LOLs.

You left wingers are full of more hate than any group of people I ever met. I actually feel sorry for democrats. Living their lives full of contempt and hate.

Last edited by NorthPoleMarathoner; 07-12-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 05:09 PM

So 52% of people age 18-29 voted in 1992. 50% in 2004. And 52% in 2008.

Like I suspected. The youth vote didn't turn out for Obama anymore than than they had in many previous elections.

Oh well, most people believe what they want to anyway.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,424,177 times
The GOP "generation gap" has occurred, in my opinion, due to the over-stretch in the moralizing, self-righteous department.

SO MANY of my generation often describe themselves as "fiscally conservative, socially liberal..."

Even though I am all for lower taxes, for example, I just cannot get over the cognitive dissonance that is, "Less government intrusion into my wallet.... more government intrusion into my bedroom!"

I'll pay more in taxes to feel less restricted, personally, by the government. The GOP has not proven itself to be a champion for "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" unless it pertains to one, very specific sort of picture of the kind of life and liberty you have to lead!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The GOP "generation gap" has occurred, in my opinion, due to the over-stretch in the moralizing, self-righteous department.

SO MANY of my generation often describe themselves as "fiscally conservative, socially liberal..."

Even though I am all for lower taxes, for example, I just cannot get over the cognitive dissonance that is, "Less government intrusion into my wallet.... more government intrusion into my bedroom!"

I'll pay more in taxes to feel less restricted, personally, by the government. The GOP has not proven itself to be a champion for "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" unless it pertains to one, very specific sort of picture of the kind of life and liberty you have to lead!
Bush, Kerry, Obama and McCain are all against gay marriage and for civil unions.

And why do heavily democratic states like California ban gay marriage when it is up for a vote? There is no way that vote was possible without millions of democrats voting.

And what have republicans done to overthrow Roe v. Wade? Nothing. And they won't either as long as republicans have teenage daughters and grandaughters.

This idea that republican lawmakers are trying to regulate poeple in the bedroom is hogwash.

Democrat Bill Clinton was the one that signed the "defense of marriage act" Not a Republican.

Pure lies and hate form the left. That's all that is.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:52 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,424,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
Bush, Kerry, Obama and McCain are all against gay marriage and for civil unions.

And why do heavily democratic states like California ban gay marriage when it is up for a vote? There is no way that vote was possible without millions of democrats voting.

And what have republicans done to overthrow Roe v. Wade? Nothing. And they won't either as long as republicans have teenage daughters and grandaughters.

This idea that republican lawmakers are trying to regulate poeple in the bedroom is hogwash.

Democrat Bill Clinton was the one that signed the "defense of marriage act" Not a Republican.

Pure lies and hate form the left. That's all that is.
Actually, you kind of prove my point.

The "culture war wedge issue" is a tool of the Republican party trotted out every four years or so to shore up the base to make sure they come out and vote. Though they never have any real intention on making good on their promises, the whole, "need a new devil in the shadows to blame society's ills on" gets real old.

Roe v. Wade is a fundraising tool. As is hoopla and scare tactics about "the gays." If they actually DO get around to overturning Roe v. Wade, a huge source of campaign dollars will dry up. "Family values" is the most overused Republican slogan at election time, and it's basically a call for "us vs. them" (THEM being anyone who does not conform to the "right" way to live and worship).

Unfortunately, it's the Republican "base" or whatever (and their unholy alliance with the religious right) who keeps falling for the okie-doke peddling. Keep writing them checks so the Republicans can make America a more godly place, meanwhile the states with more socially liberal politics enjoy lower divorce rates, lower murder rates, lower teen pregnancies, etc. etc.

BTW, the "Defense of Marriage Act" was not authored by Bill Clinton. It was authored by Bob Barr, who was THEN a Republican, and now is laughably a "Libertarian" (I always thought Libertarians were for, ya know, LIBERTY, but I guess some people can't get over their sexual hangups, no matter what they call themselves). I don't recall Clinton or the Democratic party at the time making the issue a "front and center" kind of thing, and indeed, it is very likely that it would not have been signed by Bill Clinton if not put under his nose by the Republican controlled Congress. Fast forward to 2004, and tell me which party tried to ramrod "DOMA Part II" through Congress?

As for individual democrats being close minded, I am well aware that many Democrats are themselves intellectually and socially immature. A lot of that has to do with the minorities and/or immigrants who remain more religious in general than the white population, but are democrats because democrats are perceived to have their issues at heart. Obama himself is really no big friend to gays, for example. But, to his credit, he has never used it as a wedge issue, as George Bush did in 2004, when he manufactured the gay marriage crisis.

Ignore the role of rejection of Republican moralizing at your own party's peril. I'm not a democrat anymore, but even when I was one, I was able to see that many of its own self-destructive tendencies (race politicking and pandering, for example, kept and keep many people from joining their side).

Find me a party that really IS all about FREEDOM of all kinds, and I'm in. Until then, independent for me.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:36 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
Quote:
So 52% of people age 18-29 voted in 1992. 50% in 2004. And 52% in 2008.

Like I suspected. The youth vote didn't turn out for Obama anymore than than they had in many previous elections.

Oh well, most people believe what they want to anyway.
The difference is in how they voted they were substantially more democratic in 2008 then 2004 or 2000.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,541,148 times
Quote:
Democrats were okay with using tax dollars to kill people in Vietnam, Kosovo and Bosnia. They were also ok with killing people in Iraq and Afghanistan. They just magically decided it was a bad idea to be in Iraq at some point. Funny they don't seem to mind that Obama wants to send more troops to Afghanistan, but thought it was terrible when Bush did the same in Iraq.

Republican tax dollars are evil. Democrat tax dollars are good. LOLs.

You left wingers are full of more hate than any group of people I ever met. I actually feel sorry for democrats. Living their lives full of contempt and hate.

Actually, you are practicing projection, which is quite common amongst conservatives. Just like their mass hysteria regarding anyone who is not a Christan, right wing Caucasian, they also tend to accuse others of what they are guilty of. Obama is now sending more troops into Afghanistan as he makes his first foreign policy mistakes. We can only hope they dont last as long as Bush's did, or exact as much death and violence as they did..

What did we learn from those Democrats that bombed Vietnam and killed millions of people? The neocons learned not a thing. Furthermore, they lied and intentionally led a nation to war against an innocent nation that never attacked us, even though the Bush Administration told us repeatedly that they would.

They lied. To the nation and the world. And everyone knows it but right wing conservatives

Old 07-12-2009, 08:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,779,480 times
Quote:
Do you have any clue what you are talking about?

President Bush was clearly to the left of center. He did nothing of significance in office that that could even be remotley considered "right-wing" or "conservative"

People like you put personalities before every thing else. Anything a republican does is bad. Anything a democrat does is good.

It is quite pathetic.
Well other than start 2 wars, run the economy into the ground and appoint court judges that are to the right of Ghensis Khan, you are right. He was clearly a leftist!

Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Classifying George Bush as a leftist requires a major leap of faith or a case of complete delusion.

The GOP is having trouble attracting folks because the Party has become the party of rich, white, misogynistic, religious fanatics led by some stone cold manipulative plutocrats. Young middle class educated folks need not apply.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections