Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:28 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,824,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
You sold your stock before the best month in decades....don't you have less money to steal than the liberal bums who are paying to feed the bums for you?

What's the complaint? Your strategy's working right? You won, you have less money for the Govt. to tax and steal.
I feel sorry for this guy who dropped out of the market.

Warren Buffet was right about the best investment opportunity of our lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,356,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I agree. Its all about mismanagement or if you were stupid enough to invest with Madoff.

I really wanted the market to go down and it did based on my age. Now I am coming back up faster then the speed of light. Dollar cost average. All those months I was buying the shares really low. Why did you drop out? Did you lose money when you sold your funds?
Well, I'd been holding on all through most of last year, watching my 401K value go down, down, down. I hoped that after the election it would improve but alas it did not. Finally, in mid-November I threw in the towel and transfered into a "stable fund". Got back in in early December and saw some pretty good gains but then in January it deteriorated again and most of those gains vanished before I returned to a "stable fund". Finally, a couple of days after the low of early March I got back in and between those ins and outs I've seen a 50%+ gain from my low. Add to that the extra money I've been adding each payday and I'm pretty much back to my all-time high.

Now, If ONLY I'd been smart enough to get out of the market a year and half ago before jumping back in in early March of this year I'd have made a REAL killing.

As you said, the guy who bragged about getting out of the market before Obama missed out on a HUGE rally where he could have increased his nest egg by more than 40%.

My 401K took a beating over the last year and half - but NONE of it's happened under Obama.

Ken

Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,930,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Either they invested poorly or lost their nerve at the wrong time - pulling out at the bottom and missing the massive upswing that's happened since early March. Anyone who invested broadly and remained in the market has recovered a good portion of their investment - not all, mind you, but they should be up since Obama came in. As for me, I'm within 4,000 of my all-time high of a year and half ago - thanks to continuing to invest, and dropping out of the market on way down then getting back in just a couple days from markets' bottom. If the S&P 500 can gain another 50 points or so I'll be back up to my all-time high even EXCLUDING what I've put in over the last year and half.

So, I made my money and know many who are happy the market has made such a remarkable recovery over the last 5 months or so.

Ken
enjoy it while it lasts~!
what GDP growth? GDP growth down 1%
fewer unemployment? unemployment rose to 585,000 last week.

we are bound to have a short track up soon because of all of the borrowed money pumped into the system. wall street loves that! it looks like a guarantee of money with no risk whatsoever! wait until the money stops being printed. this is the fun spending part of the credit card charge.

long-term, however, our economy is in worse shape than it was previously. our debt is higher and our interest payments will be higher. our dollar is still depreciating and we have less purchasing power.

so you can crow about the stock market but that doesn't mean that americans are going to be better off than they would have been without the bailouts and without the stimulus. government is only concerned with the illusion of prosperity instead of actually addressing the issues that need to be addressed to increase real jobs or pay decent wages. ask yourselves how long did the stimulus checks propel the economy forward? they certainly did for a little while, but then it was over.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
enjoy it while it lasts~!
what GDP growth? GDP growth down 1%
That's why it's called a RECESSION (DUH!)
You can gripe about a -1% GDP growth if you want, but the fact is LAST quarter it was -6.4% so -1% is a definite move in the RIGHT direction (much better than expected) and when this quarters results come in, it will be in POSITIVE territory for the first time in a year and a half.

Quote:
fewer unemployment? unemployment rose to 585,000 last week.
That's a temporary spike, in general it's been going down, down, down - and that trend will resume shortly.

Ken

Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,930,216 times
Quote:
That's why it's called a RECESSION (DUH!)
You can gripe about a -1% GDP growth if you want, but the fact is LAST quarter it was -6.4% so -1% is a definite move in the RIGHT direction (much better than expected) and when this quarters results come in, it will be in POSITIVE territory for the first time in a year and a half.

That's a temporary spike, in general it's been going down, down, down - and that trend will resume shortly.

Ken
that is quite a spin, to turn the negatives into positives. negative growth is still negative and rising unemployment is still rising unemployment.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
that is quite a spin, to turn the negatives into positives. negative growth is still negative and rising unemployment is still rising unemployment.
Hey, it's just a fact - an improving trend - and a rapidly improving one at that.

Ken

Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,895,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
What does that say about George W. Bush or do we have him to thank. The Dow Jones went from 11.5 to 8.2 from the time Bush stepped in to the White House and the time he left. It's finally back to 9.0 just because he's out of office. How can you spin that?
Actually, the economy was fantastic under GWB for the first six years. Then the demos took over congress and it has been down hill every since.
Nothing to spin, the demos have completely riuined the economy...
Pay attention....!

Old 08-01-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Actually, the economy was fantastic under GWB for the first six years. Then the demos took over congress and it has been down hill every since.
Nothing to spin, the demos have completely riuined the economy...
Pay attention....!
LOL
YOU need to pay attention.
It wasn't fantastic the first 6 years. You have a selective memory. The country went into recession after 9-11.
When it recovered a year later the recovery was largely built upon the housing bubble - which grew and grew until it collapsed in 2007. So GW presided over not ONE but TWO recessions.

Ken

Old 08-01-2009, 01:12 PM

281 posts, read 929,250 times
Quote:
LOL
It wasn't fantastic the first 6 years. You have a selective memory. The country went into recession after 9-11.
When it recovered a year later the recovery was largely built upon the housing bubble - which grew and grew until it collapsed in 2007. So GW presided over not ONE but TWO recessions.

Ken
Rember when Clinton was president? The budget was balanced, the economy boomed, real incomes for the middle class were rising, and these boards were flooded with messages from conservatives claiming the President has nothing to do with economic performance. Now, after six months of a Democratic president and two years of a Democratic congress, it's all the "liberals" fault and Obama has "failed". Too funny.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:22 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,895,972 times
Quote:
LOL

Ken
Keep spinning, you're wrong, but that never stopped you before...
If only we still had a real president...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections