Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times

Advertisements

My home state, South Carolina, designated "competitive"? Not so sure if I buy that one at all.

Even though Texas is usually red, I can see the urban areas in the state swinging it to blue.

We'll see how this map looks a year to a year and a half from now after the economy has picked up a little and healthcare legislation goes through (in whatever form).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
South Carolina is listed as 46% conservative according to Gallup. Its "net conservative" score is equal to Idaho.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:01 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
The Intermountain West states that are solid Republican also have huge numbers of Mormons. This is no conicidence. They should lose tax exempt status due to the prop 8 nonsense.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:56 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,609,367 times
No one wants to identify as a "Republican" right now, even if the person is conservative, because the party doesn't practice fiscal conservatism.

If the conservatives don't want to identify as Republicans, that's going to make the Democratic party look good everywhere. A lot of the conservatives reply as "independent," while the liberals mostly reply "Democrat."

In reality, though, there's more conservatives than liberals in a lot of those states, and probably the U.S. as a whole.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:58 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,831,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Hahaha yeah.... because Solid Democrat = Communist, right?

By any chance do you know this person?

YouTube - Redneck lady disses Obama

Good point, but not too surprising...even Hilary Clinton dislikes the liberal label and prefers the term 'progressive'...so....I think how they respond to concrete ideas like the Democratic or Republican Party is more telling than how they respond to abstract terms like 'conservative' or 'liberal'.

Nice subject in it's own right though, thanks!
I think its one of those crazy people that diss god and loves that aids came into this world or liking that troops are dying in the world and all the stuff.

Heres a video of that person:

YouTube - Crazy Lady On Fox News Says "Thank God Soldiers Are Dieing"

Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
No one wants to identify as a "Republican" right now, even if the person is conservative, because the party doesn't practice fiscal conservatism.

If the conservatives don't want to identify as Republicans, that's going to make the Democratic party look good everywhere. A lot of the conservatives reply as "independent," while the liberals mostly reply "Democrat."

In reality, though, there's more conservatives than liberals in a lot of those states, and probably the U.S. as a whole.
I pretty much agree. I don't consider myself a Republican, but I do consider myself a conservative. By conservative I pretty much mean tradition, prudence, permanence, frugality, and federalism/subsidiarity. I'm also solidly opposed to abortion and euthanasia.

Some things have always made me leery of identifying as Republican. I'm skeptical of supply-side-economics and believe in programs to encourage economic mobility. I'm not nationalistic and don't think we always have to increase defense spending. However more recently I've been less interested in the party than before as it seems to be playing on fear and anti-intellectualism too much. Also its weakened credibility on issues like debts or deficits.

All that said I'm certainly not a Democrat. So maybe I'd say that it does mean something when states are over 50% Democratic/Lean-Democratic. "Solid Democratic" states less than that, like Indiana or North Carolina, it might not mean as much.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:44 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
Interesting, considering that ~ although I've always been non-party ~ am leaning more towards Republican with time.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
I am an Indpendent. I am a social libertarian and lean fiscally conservative.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post

From the page linked below:

It's a neat piece.
Political Party Affiliation: 30 States Blue, 4 Red in 2009 So Far
I don't believe that Kentucky is solidly Democratic. They only asked 2400 people in the whole state, how can they base everything on that? We went 58% McCain for heaven's sake!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:46 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Pennsylvania might be democratic but if it elects a republican governor and a republican senator, then what? And Pa conservative democrats are definitely not liberal democrats.
I've voted for a conservative blue dog democrat for congressman, then had to grudgingly vote for a conservative republican against a liberal democrat( the better of two bad choices) when my district got gerrymandered. The conservative republican won in 3 close elections but always beating a liberal. My old congressman, a conservative democrat( a blue dog) wins his new republican majority district easily every election.
I don't think liberal democrats are going to win elections in many states. You're going to see a big shift to the center and that's going to leave Obama without the full support of his party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections