Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:59 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times

Advertisements

From the page linked below:
Quote:
The accompanying map shows each state's relative party strength (the full data for each state appears at the end of the article) in the first half of 2009, which primarily covers the time since Barack Obama took office as president. States in which one of the parties enjoys a 10 or more percentage point advantage in leaned identification are considered solid supporters of that party. States with between a five- and nine-point advantage are considered leaning toward that party, and states with less than a five-point advantage for one of the parties are considered competitive.
It's a neat piece.
Political Party Affiliation: 30 States Blue, 4 Red in 2009 So Far

Last edited by Bo; 08-17-2009 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 07:11 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
And yet most states also lean conservative.

Political Ideology: "Conservative" Label Prevails in the South

Arkansas is maybe the most anomalous as it's "Solid Democratic" and among the "Most Conservative" in net-conservative score. Other Solidly Democratic states to be listed as high in net-conservative are

Delaware
Indiana - Historically Republican though. I think they turned Democratic over anger with the recession, etc.
Iowa
Kentucky - Democratic governor, but strongly McCain in 2008. Their representation in the US Congress is majority Republican.
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio - Noted as a swing state
West Virginia - Democratic party has most local power and US Congress representation, but in Presidential elections they've went Republican from 2000 onward.

Delaware was a bit of a surprise to me as they tend to vote pretty liberal due to the most populated of the three counties being fairly liberal. Maybe their survey overselected for the more conservative areas of the state.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 08-16-2009 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-16-2009, 07:16 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Southern New Mexico is a fixed Republican area. The Central and Northern Parts of New Mexico are strong Democrat.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:17 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,598 times
HECK YES !!!!!!!!!!!! a

DEMOCRATS RULE !!!!!!!!!! a

Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
I could see the moderates from both parties splitting to make a new party of their own, that would be interesting

Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 PM

Gallup lists Colorado as the only state to have a "moderate" plurality and be non-solid in party. States that have 40% or more self-proclaimed moderates and are in the "center" on net-conservatism are

New Hampshire
Virginia
Ohio
West Virginia

Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
If that map is true, this country is going to turn out communist. we need more republicans.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:55 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times
Hahaha yeah.... because Solid Democrat = Communist, right?

By any chance do you know this person?

YouTube - Redneck lady disses Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
And yet most states also lean conservative.

Political Ideology: "Conservative" Label Prevails in the South

Arkansas is maybe the most anomalous as it's "Solid Democratic" and among the "Most Conservative" in net-conservative score. Other Solidly Democratic states to be listed as high in net-conservative are

Delaware
Indiana - Historically Republican though. I think they turned Democratic over anger with the recession, etc.
Iowa
Kentucky - Democratic governor, but strongly McCain in 2008. Their representation in the US Congress is majority Republican.
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio - Noted as a swing state
West Virginia - Democratic party has most local power and US Congress representation, but in Presidential elections they've went Republican from 2000 onward.

Delaware was a bit of a surprise to me as they tend to vote pretty liberal due to the most populated of the three counties being fairly liberal. Maybe their survey overselected for the more conservative areas of the state.
Good point, but not too surprising...even Hilary Clinton dislikes the liberal label and prefers the term 'progressive'...so....I think how they respond to concrete ideas like the Democratic or Republican Party is more telling than how they respond to abstract terms like 'conservative' or 'liberal'.

Nice subject in it's own right though, thanks!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Good point, but not too surprising...even Hilary Clinton dislikes the liberal label and prefers the term 'progressive'...so....I think how they respond to concrete ideas like the Democratic or Republican Party is more telling than how they respond to abstract terms like 'conservative' or 'liberal'.

Nice subject in it's own right though, thanks!
Perhaps, but I'm skeptical that Democratic dominance in Arkansas and Kentucky means they're "progressive." They both went for McCain. In Kentucky Floyd County went for McCain despite the fact it had went Democratic for decades. In 2004 those two states voted 75% in favor of amendments that prohibited both Same-sex-marriage and civil unions. I think they come out highly Democratic because Democratic politicians there are often moderate to conservative, not because Democrats there prefer "progressive" to "liberal."

Old 08-17-2009, 03:52 AM

56 posts, read 154,308 times
Maryland is democrat? Well, there's a surprise!

I'm slightly conservative and I voted for McCain, but my vote counts for nothing here. However, I did see Obama speak live before he had a large following (got pretty close) and I have to say I was impressed. I may not have voted for him, but I hope he does well for this country. I won't wish ill upon my opponent if it also damages myself, and I do have a great deal of respect for Obama. I may not agree with ideologies, but I do believe that he embodies the modern American dream: the man who rose from nothing to the greatest office in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections