Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,376,835 times

Advertisements

One day a fourth-grade teacher asked the children what their fathers did for a living. All the typical answers came up -- fireman, mechanic, businessman, salesman, doctor, lawyer, and so forth.

However, little Justin was being uncharacteristically quiet, so when the teacher prodded him about his father, he finally replied, 'Okay...my father's an exotic dancer in a gay cabaret and takes off all his clothes in front of other men and they put money in his underwear. Sometimes, if the offer is really good, he will go home with some guy and stay with him all night for money.

The teacher, obviously shaken by this statement, hurriedly set the other children to work on some exercises and then took little Justin aside to ask him, 'Is that really true about your father?'

'No', the boy said, 'He actually works for the Democratic National Committee and helped get Barack Obama elected President last year, but I was too embarrassed to say that in front of the class.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,297,541 times
the only problem with the Democratic party is that they lack spine....

If I were a Democratic Senator or Congressman, I'd be sure to make my voice heard above the Rush/Limbaugh/Beck/Hannity types....I'd have backbone and spine and I wouldn't be afraid to stand up for what I believe in, even if it meant making more enemies than friends.

The Democrats just need to grow more of a spine, IMO....

Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,376,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
My dad is hardcore Democrat and so was I until I left the house pulled my head out from my ass and look at the truth. I'm 26 and vote GOP and from discussions with other people my age not alone.
Nope you surely are not alone. This happened to me as well but it was 41 years ago when LBJ decided that the Dems' mascot should be a jack_ss instead of a donkey. I've never looked back.

The GOP is FAR from dead as some naive Dems, and wishful Libertarians, would lead you to believe.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:33 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Nope you surely are not alone. This happened to me as well but it was 41 years ago when LBJ decided that the Dems' mascot should be a jack_ss instead of a donkey. I've never looked back.

The GOP is FAR from dead as some naive Dems, and wishful Libertarians, would lead you to believe.
I agree the Republicans are far from dead, there are too many religious fanatics in the US for that to happen. On the other hand I doubt they will win the House, Senate or White house any time soon though.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:45 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,297,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I agree the Republicans are far from dead, there are too many religious fanatics in the US for that to happen. On the other hand I doubt they will win the House, Senate or White house any time soon though.
I wish CD had a "LMAO" icon.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
I wish CD had a "LMAO" icon.
I am also only half joking 19.4% of the total electorate last time identified as White, Born Again, Protestant, Evangelical, Republican voters. Assuming 4.4% are not fanatical...i.e. they believe the earth is older then 6000 years, evolution is probably true, other religions are not the work of the devil, homosexuality is not a demonic activity etc... that still leaves 15% of the total electorate...plenty to have a strong party foundation.

Additionally, they hold great sway in the Republican party, even more then the libertarian right. The Republicans are a well disciplined party so they tend to nominate the person that is pre-anointed by the leadership, (last time McCain) but occasionally you will see a rebellion. Last election there were 2 rebellions Paul for the libertarian wing of the party and Huckabee for the religious fanatical wing of the party. In the end Huckabee trounced Paul by a lot.

If the rapture were real? And if it were to rid us of these people the democrats would win every election in a landslide.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:56 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,909,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
I consider myself an independent, I have noticed that being a republican in this country is shameful, they tend to lack substance and intelligence, this wave of fanatical, almost psychotic and bizarre display in the townhall
meetings is just the latest in a series of shamefull behavior, ever since GWB came to power, things have gone to hell in the republican party, ms. palin appears to be the succesor to this non-sense and she will guarantee defeat in 2012.
They aren't Republicans anymore, and really haven't been for a while now.

All of the free thinkers and intelligent folks have left the party. This is why they are in a rut. NeoCons (which is what the party now mostly consists of), not too unlike this nations Liberal, aren't used to thinking for themselves. They don't have anybody to lead them.

So it's expected that they be a bit "off" in the "thoughts" department.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 AM

250 posts, read 413,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Which people who voted for Obama?

Young people? The very young people that Republicans often claim only think about BMWs and I-pods and are too stupid for their own good.

African Americans? Probably not, especially the way Republicans talk like they want to go back to the 1950s a time of Jim Crow and segregation.

Hispanics? Probably not especially after the entire "Sotomayor is a racist" escapade and how most legitimate illegal immigration debates turn into a Hispanic bashing fest.

Homosexuals, Jews, Muslims, Atheists and all of the other people the religious right takes issue with? Probably not as the Religious right forces most republican candidates to alienate many of these voters.

Liberals? Again doubtful.

Union Members?

I am just curious which group of Obama voters will swell the Republican ranks?

Answer? All the above. Again, stay tuned. It's early in the game

Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
Answer? All the above. Again, stay tuned. It's early in the game
I assure you I will, but I think the Republicans will have to change their tune a lot before they win any of those groups and simply praying and obstructing the Democrats will not do it for them.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,252,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Nancy Pelosi is a redneck? Must be another lie that Fox News reported while trying to boost ratings....
I think he was referring to the bimbo part...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections