Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times

Advertisements

Depends on how crappy the sound mixing is. I find I need it a lot for Doctor Who. I never would have gotten the references to the previous Doctors in the recent episode without it.

I've never needed it for Squidbillies, though. That show is awesomer than hell! I don't need no fancified device what makescha hear better, ya dum suma *****!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 01:31 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Might not be any. My Dad uses CC most of the time, but especially for British TV series/movies. He gets everything from Netflix. If he gets the DVDs, they have CC/titles he can use, but not the ones that are instantly available.
Well re: Amazon instant -- since I posted the earlier post I have discovered that some shows/movies do seem to have a captioning option after all. There just aren't very many, compared to Netflix titles. Netflix seems to offer it on most titles, the only ones that don't have the option are usually older productions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Depends on how crappy the sound mixing is. I find I need it a lot for Doctor Who. I never would have gotten the references to the previous Doctors in the recent episode without it.

I've never needed it for Squidbillies, though. That show is awesomer than hell! I don't need no fancified device what makescha hear better, ya dum suma *****!
The Doctor does tend to speak very quickly when he is all excited. I had more trouble with understanding David Tennant though, vs Matt Smith but perhaps it's because tennant is Scottish. Now I am off to look up "Squidbillies".

Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
I turn on the caption when British programs are on PBS. I also watch Lifetime movies with the captions on to see if the movie was made in Canada, which uses some British spellings (Labour, centre, etc.)

Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I turn the CC on at the gym (the cardio machines have little individual TVs attached to them) so I can listen to music but 'read' the news while I'm working out.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I have it on all the time. I don't have the best memory for figuring out how to turn it on an off so I just leave it on.

I have it on because so many actors, when 'emoting' in dramatic moments, lower their voice or whisper and the genius's in Hollywood don' bother to correct for it so you can both get the emoting and hear what they are saying.

It is behind a lot which is annoying but I'm not reading it most of the time. It is usually helpful at those low volume moments.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:06 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I have it on all the time. I don't have the best memory for figuring out how to turn it on an off so I just leave it on.
There's usually a button on your remote that says "CC" or you can use the "Menu" button to locate it if there's no "CC" button on the remote.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:52 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
I have it on all the time. various reasons:

it keeps me reading
that way I can understand those who speak English with a thick accent
so that I can still watch tv, but keep the volume down on the TV (for various reasons)

Old 05-29-2013, 03:16 AM

280 posts, read 686,053 times
If they're in a foreign language that I'm trying to learn--yes.

Otherwise, no.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:50 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,530 times
I have cc for nearly everything I can, including television. One reason is that I really can't stand loud noises. I feel like a lot of times, the audio for speech isn't right, but the other noises are too loud and they irritate me. (yes, I've adjusted my set) Secondly, I think I'm having hearing problems because sounds in the high or low range aren't audible to me anymore. I miss things. So CC is good. Plus, I watch a lot of British shows with accents. So it's always on. Lots of people think I'm weird, but I like it.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:15 PM

280 posts, read 686,053 times
I wish that YouTube had closed captions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts