Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:53 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I dump the best tunes onto my computer then burn CD's with the best of the best by genre. Again, the CD's are in perfect condition - but what for I am not sure since they will soon be worthless. Oh well.
Why will they be worthless? I prefer hard copies (if you will) because i know i always have the ability to watch or listen to what i want without having to rely on a service. For example, i own the entire series of 24 on DVD. Now i started to sell them off for extra money because the series was on netflix. Well last month out of the blue netflix says "oh we've lost the license for 24 and a bunch of other shows so you wont be able to watch them anymore." I was relieved at the fact that i had not sold my DVDs but rather kept them "just in case".

Old 07-17-2016, 07:06 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
I like physical media as I think the quality is better (I prefer analogue if I can get it)

I buy -

8 track tapes
Cassettes
Records (33s,45s and 78s) -- I havent yet found a 16!! (My player WILL PLAY @ 16 and im curious what it would sound like -- 16 seems quite slow)
VHS tapes

Last edited by Dude111; 07-17-2016 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I buy books I want my kids to read.

I buy Blu-ray or DVD of things I really like or think are classic.

I buy video games bc I don't want to use Internet for that.

That being said, most of the time you can go to the library and borrow books. There are times that I don't feel like waiting, so I just get things on Kindle. I don't buy music anymore because most of the stuff out there is total crap. Plus you have satellite radio so you can listen to various stations of different genres and still enjoy yourself. And most movies aren't worth buying so you can watch them on Netflix or Prime or rent them on demand on your cable company.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:47 PM

652 posts, read 681,686 times
I enjoy buying movies on dvd especially if they're difficult to find in the 1st place. I think its a good idea to have a dvd on hand because you can't depend on internet all the time. They may also quit making copies of that movie at some point and then, you're out of luck.

Lately, I've been buying music from amazon because its quick and nice to have it downloaded on my computer after I purchase it.

I still buy games for my xbox 360 and PS2. Its just nice to have a physical copy of the game because I imagine they will quit making copies of that game and then, you're out of luck. Anyways, a physical copy of a movie or game is good to have just in case. You never know you may need it.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:16 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
I don´t know how anyone can not.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:18 PM

50 posts, read 48,173 times
I love having the physical copy available, particularly if I am going to be someplace that does not have good internet access (i.e. countryside). Having and seeing my Blu-Ray, DVD, videogame, CD and book collection at home is a good feeling for me. Being able to put in a Blu-Ray/DVD/CD without needing internet access is great. Also the physical copy sometimes has extras that I like watching (behind the scenes, etc.) Books as well. I have gotten some digital books, but I love the feeling of opening a book and smelling the inside. No matter what, I will continue to buy physical copies of books as well as other examples as long as they are available to buy.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Prior to our cross country move I finally got around to digitizing my collection. Sold/donated all of our CDs & DVDs rather than move them.

But I rarely even go to that digital collection anymore. Pretty much all of my music and movie needs are met by streaming services these days.

Have no interest in building up another big physical collection of "stuff" at our new place. So very rare to buy any physical media now. Exception for something like the new Star Wars movies, or buying a cd directly from a local band in person at a show.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 AM

509 posts, read 484,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
This is more of a poll, and it isn't intended as a criticsm--rather I'm curious whether you're still buying discs (Music, Video Games, Movies) and if so why you are.

For me with all the streaming available for Anime, Music, and services like NEtflix for films, I just find it hard to justify the physical clutter caused by owning discs anymore. Furthermore, I just have a philosophical outlook on life in which "owning" stuff is overrated, I prefer experiencing stuff. For example, I can "experience" a hit song any time and as often as I want because of YouTube. I don't have to "own" the song.....

I do own one Anime Series, a few hip-hop CDs from the 1990s, and the Batman Trilogy (will add Fast & Furious collection soon) but that's only because those for me have unlimited replayability.

For those of you who are still buying how do you approach your physical purchases?
I sold or gave away all of my vinyl records and VHS tapes in 1989 and never looked back. I sold or gave away all of my CD's and DVD's in 2002 and never looked back.

Since 2002, I have been strictly digital. I have no nostalgia for the physical media I grew up with; whatever was cool about the packaging wasn't worth the immense clutter it created.

My media collection is exponentially larger than it has ever been before. More than I can even get to in my time left alive on the planet probably. And it all fits three 8TB hard drives (three more are backups, in the closet), which take up no more space than three Bibles.

He who travels light travels far. All that physical junk was like an anchor.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
All my music is 'physical'. I would never bother 'buying' air. The sound quality isn't as good and you don't have something tangible, if you know what I mean. Not to mention that streaming is killing musicians. The very people we are listening to. I'll skip that bit of exploitation.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:12 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
They actually earn more per album from downloads via iTunes, cdbaby, reverbnation, etc than a physical disc sale these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.