Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:34 PM

261 posts, read 512,630 times

Advertisements

(Honestly I am not expecting this conversation to necessarily be 'rich' or necessarily objective seeing as how most who seem to frequent here appear to be older and white. Nevertheless, I am expecting it to be entertaining!)

I was just having this discussion with a friend and he sorta of agrees.
If you look at how the history has work here in America with Black Music it certainly says it will .

Rock and Roll Music started off with strong Black roots. Now today I cant remember if I have ever seen a black person lead or even make a Rock single that has seen the charts. The youth today even swear that it is a 'White genre' of music.

House Music is probably the biggest offender here. House music is considered to be so white when in reality it was 100% Black. Now its played and dance to without anyone questioning its roots.

Even in Battle Rapping you now have a TON of them showing up for these events swearing to the high heavens that they were made to do this.

Same for Jazz and Blues. Its been White Washed in almost all ends.

Hip-Hop has to be next. Its all happening right before everyone's eyes and no one seems to even mention to. Some people do but still.
Am I the only one who sees an issue with this ?

Just to be fair you do not see this happening with Folk or Country Music. Country seems to have a certain way of keeping people of color utterly out of the genre. I believe to date their has been a single black guy that has made a successful Country song-- Darius Rucker and that's it. But when you compare him to the hundreds of White Artist who seem to constantly find success in making Black Peoples Music it really does make you start to believe in these companies having a 'Hidden Agenda"

What do you think about all this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:09 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
The skin color of the artist means nothing to me as long as the music is good.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:26 AM

A couple other thoughts ...

Quote:
Now today I cant remember if I have ever seen a black person lead or even make a Rock single that has seen the charts.
Bo Diddley? Chuck Berry? Jimi Hendrix? Lenny Kravitz? Living Colour?

Quote:
Country seems to have a certain way of keeping people of color utterly out of the genre. I believe to date their has been a single black guy that has made a successful Country song-- Darius Rucker and that's it.
Perhaps you're too young to have heard of Charley Pride and his 39 No. 1 hits.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Now today I cant remember if I have ever seen a black person lead or even make a Rock single that has seen the charts.
Slash, the lead guitarist of Guns and Roses is black.
Tom Morello, the lead guitarist of Rage Against the Machine is black and widely considered to be on of the greatest rock guitarists ever.
Jimi Hendrix
Vernon Reid of Living Color
Lenny Kravitz

These are all HIGHLY influential black rock and roll figures.

Quote:

Why in the world would you have an "issue" with people of different races loving, embracing and taking part in a particular art form? You should be more concerned with the horrible and crappy rap/hip hop that is out there right now, most of which is from the southern "rappers" that is absolutely horrible. Those guys are ruining the art form you so love. THEY are the problem.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:47 PM

658 posts, read 847,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Tom Morello, the lead guitarist of Rage Against the Machine is black and widely considered to be on of the greatest rock guitarists ever.
Jimi Hendrix
Lenny Kravitz

Why in the world would you have an "issue" with people of different races loving, embracing and taking part in a particular art form? You should be more concerned with the horrible and crappy rap/hip hop that is out there right now, most of which is from the southern "rappers" that is absolutely horrible. Those guys are ruining the art form you so love. THEY are the problem.
Lenny Kravitz and Slash are not black, but biracial. I think Jimmy Hendricks was, too.

Let's be real, when one thinks of country, rock, etc, what race pops in your mind? It's like black people have to scream to the mountaintops that hey, WE started this, not white people!

It's not about having a problem with other races loving and embracing music that was predominately black. It is well known that a lot if white artists who are deemed gods to everyone were influenced by black people, to the point of white people literally stealing and stripping it away only for them to reign supreme.

That's just history and it keeps repeating itself.

I guess I could act like it's no big deal that this happens if my race is on the receiving end if it.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
Lenny Kravitz and Slash are not black, but biracial. I think Jimmy Hendricks was, too.
Being biracial does not mean they aren't black. They may be half black, but they are black.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:31 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
That makes them BLACK. Maybe they arent "black enough" for YOU because they "ghetto" "sup homie" types, but they are definitely black. What is the deal with people and their levels of blackness arguments? "They are not black, they are biracial...." that means they are BLACK. Just like President Obama is black. Halle Berry is black. Mariah Carey is black. These are all people with white mothers and black fathers, they are considered to be black.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:44 PM

13 posts, read 10,503 times
I agree it is definitely possible that hip hop become white washed soon... I think the issue isn't necessarily that Caucasians take part in the genre of music. However, I think the issue most people have with the subject is that some Caucasians getting a lot of exposure (and sales) on the scene, when they are not as talented as there African American counterparts. This was the issue when the other genres became white washed as well. Not saying there are not exceptions to these issues.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:53 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
(Honestly I am not expecting this conversation to necessarily be 'rich' or necessarily objective seeing as how most who seem to frequent here appear to be older and white. Nevertheless, I am expecting it to be entertaining!)

I was just having this discussion with a friend and he sorta of agrees.
If you look at how the history has work here in America with Black Music it certainly says it will .

Rock and Roll Music started off with strong Black roots. Now today I cant remember if I have ever seen a black person lead or even make a Rock single that has seen the charts. The youth today even swear that it is a 'White genre' of music.

House Music is probably the biggest offender here. House music is considered to be so white when in reality it was 100% Black. Now its played and dance to without anyone questioning its roots.

Even in Battle Rapping you now have a TON of them showing up for these events swearing to the high heavens that they were made to do this.

Same for Jazz and Blues. Its been White Washed in almost all ends.

Hip-Hop has to be next. Its all happening right before everyone's eyes and no one seems to even mention to. Some people do but still.

Just to be fair you do not see this happening with Folk or Country Music. Country seems to have a certain way of keeping people of color utterly out of the genre. I believe to date their has been a single black guy that has made a successful Country song-- Darius Rucker and that's it. But when you compare him to the hundreds of White Artist who seem to constantly find success in making Black Peoples Music it really does make you start to believe in these companies having a 'Hidden Agenda"

Cowboy Troy is black, there are quite a few black people in rock bands, such as Dave Matthews band.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Jimi Hendrix
Lenny Kravitz

Nothing horrible about Nappy Roots, or Outkast, too much southern rap is club music, that's the problem. Sure Paul Wall, and Lil Jon are the epitome of bad southern rap, they aren't spokesmen for it. Nothing horrible about these:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts