Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:22 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times

Advertisements

There are lots of those - follow some of my links and you can find a few. Googling will lead you to many more. The Register Guard also often does stories on what's in season and where to pick it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 12:30 PM

110 posts, read 310,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
There are lots of those - follow some of my links and you can find a few. Googling will lead you to many more. The Register Guard also often does stories on what's in season and where to pick it...
awesome, and thanks. I read that one blog you posted a link to but never saw the post about the pick your own farm you had mentioned.

Two weeks away exactly till I hit the Oregon Trail

Old 07-19-2011, 01:38 PM

81 posts, read 306,452 times
[quote=backdrifter;19756406]Whole Foods Market is the antithesis to what Eugene is all about. WF wanted to open up a store in downtown, but the city and citizens kept them out! Twice if I remember correctly. They don't want the "Walmart of natural foods" to impinge upon the awesome local natural foods stores (which are plentiful and awesome)

This post alone has made me decide that Eugene is indeed THE best place to live, over and above the other typical contenders such as Asheville, Boulder and Charlottesville. Whole Foods used to be manageable, also Wild Oats until it was bought out ~~ I much prefer the smaller local stores where it's not exhausting to walk the whole store and people actually know what they are selling!

Which neighborhood(s) is one of these local stores located that also have apartments for rent nearby, that are safe, walkable, etc. I'll be a regular customer!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:11 PM

Sundance Natural Foods is right by Amazon park. That's a cool area with rentals. It's a flat area, too, so it's a good area for biking. Some areas of Eugene are very hilly which make biking a little more difficult. Sundance Natural Foods - Welcome

Also there's the Kiva downtown, right behind the library and by the bus depot. I love the Kiva. There are rentals around downtown, too... Kiva Grocery Store Downtown is also very flat and easy to bike - just watch out for traffic.

There are others but those are probably my two top favorites. Except maybe the Grower's Market co-op but living in that area is a little iffy. I suppose it just depends on your comfort level really. It's a very cool part of town and during the day I don't mind walking around alone in that area, but I wouldn't want to be in the area at night alone. I wouldn't walk that area of night or after dark alone. And seeing as how it gets dark at around 5pm during the long winters here, I dunno. But I have grown up a bit sheltered (I've always lived in the better/nicer/safer parts of the cities I've lived in), so to other people it might not be a big deal at all. Growers Market Anyway - the Grower's Market is very cool. We are lucky to have a place like this in Eugene and the weird thing is that a lot of people don't even know about it.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:20 AM

Are these rentals apartment complexes or are there duplexes and big houses broken up into apartments as well? Which neighborhoods (or side of town) are the safest, also which area is best to avoid? The Chamber of Commerce doesn't give this type of info.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Eugene neighborhoods are very mixed. You'll have large owner-occupied homes next to apartments next to townhomes next to 55+ retirement mobile home parks. I've actually never seen anything like it. I'm from Texas where there's more uniformity to the neighborhoods, you'll have blocks and blocks and blocks of 1920's bungalow's without an apartment building in sight. You have to go to a whole other neighborhood to see rows and rows of apartments. It's not like that in Eugene. When I say "rentals", it could be duplex's, quadroplex's, apartment buildings, an old home that's been broken up into smaller rental units, rental homes, garage apartments, a mobile home on a half acre of land, a yurt in someone's backyard, etc. All on the same block, even. lol

The Chamber of Commerce is all about local businesses. I know one of the people in charge at the Chamber and it actually seems like they spend most of their time planning events like awarding each other and having fancy dinners. I think it's more about making business connections and PR than anything else. For rental info call a property management company, check the online classifieds of the local papers, check craigslist, google, etc.

As far as neighborhoods there's been a lot of discussion about that here on C-D already, so I'd say just read some of the older threads here on the subject.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM

I do agree with your assessment of Chamber of Commerce priorities . Actually the mixed neighborhoods are so much more scenic and have personality, unlike manicured subdivisions with same ol' same ol' architecture.

Where is the best place to find out how good Oregon is for retiring? I know that Pennsylvania is supposedly good for health care and retirees, but I haven't heard anything about OR for baby boomers.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM

I don't know anything about retiring - I'm in my 30's. There's another area of the C-D forums for discussing retirement issues, you might want to look around there. To me it seems like we have tons of retirement facilities in Eugene, and lots of little housing developments that are for 55 and older, and there is a very active 55+ community. The city of Eugene Recreation Services does a lot for older retired adults. They have lots of classes, take trips, fun programs, etc. You also hear a lot about retired people who do the snowbird thing - they spend summers in their RV's up here at our awesome state parks and then head down to warmer places in the winter. But I'm really not one to ask about retirement stuff - yet!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomona View Post
I do agree with your assessment of Chamber of Commerce priorities . Actually the mixed neighborhoods are so much more scenic and have personality, unlike manicured subdivisions with same ol' same ol' architecture.

Where is the best place to find out how good Oregon is for retiring? I know that Pennsylvania is supposedly good for health care and retirees, but I haven't heard anything about OR for baby boomers.
Check out the City Data Retirement forum. There are a few who live in Oregon including me. I live in Portland but plan to relocate as soon as every thing is in place due to the fact I can no longer afford to live here.

I know there are many retirees on the Coast and in Ashland. If you can afford those places they are very nice. But it all depends upon what you are looking for.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM

110 posts, read 310,558 times
this thread is turning into a "retirees" topic as apposed to the original awesome topic about how Eugene is local and provides for many awesome farmers markets keeping out Whole Foods.

Any one in the area want to post their pictures from Saturday Market? Once I get up there in two weeks I can post some, but until then lets see what you've got
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area