Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM

7 posts, read 211,965 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are coming to Oregon in late May / early June for a vacation but with a research aspect as we may be looking to relocate to the Corvallis/Eugene area in a few years.

We'll be in Eugene for two days and looking to see everything we need to see. Attractions, neighborhoods, shopping and the like.

We're in our mid-20s, no kids, active/hiking/biking lifestyle.

Please share with me (and everyone) your top things to do in Eugene or the surrounding area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 04:13 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,201 times
I don't live in Oregon any longer... sigh..
but I used to go into Eugene just to go to Skinners Butte park. Skinner Butte Park - Eugene | nextstop.com (http://www.nextstop.com/p/0nknKJ9puiQ/skinner-butte-park/ - broken link)

5th Street Market is /was a small vendor arts/craft shopping center-place to wander.

Are you taking your bikes-lots of bike paths probably still a rental place. or 7 google bike rental eugene

Go to a track meet.
Go to a baseball game.Eugene Emeralds: Schedule: Home
Go on a volkswalk ava.org

Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
1. Bring your bikes and ride the riverbike trail along the Willamette river. If you can't bring your own bikes, you can rent them at a few different places around town. (In my neck of the woods, you can rent them at Bike Barn off of Green Acres road and catch the bike trail right where Beltline hwy and North Delta hwy meet. Google maps shows our bike trails now - fun!) Or you can use this map (http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_207522_0_0_18/RiverbankTrail.PDF - broken link) from the city of Eugene website. Watch for eagles, osprey, and other birds of prey... also turtles and other wildlife.

2. Hike Spencer's Butte - pack a picnic lunch and rest and nibble at the top. There's also Mount Pisgah which is beautiful as well, and in the northern part of the city Gillespie Butte which is much less work but still beautiful. There's a historic pioneer cemetery at the top of Gillespie Butte that is interesting, but perhaps moreso once you live here and begin to recognize many of the names.

3. Go geocaching! We just started geocaching in Eugene and via the treasure hunt we're adventuring into parts of Eugene we've never visited before, and learning things we never knew about our city. There's an earthcache in Eugene as well. You can check out geocaching.com website.

4. Check out the Saturday Market and the Farmer's market across the street - Saturdays from 10 - 5 (I think) at 8th and Oak.

5. Hendrick's Park was one of the first parks we visited when we moved here. It's much larger than it seems... recently my husband and I went and discovered trails we'd never known about before even though we've been walking there now hundreds of times. Lots of rhodies there and even a fun tree swing.

6. You can check out the Travel Oregon website to see what's happening that interests you in Eugene or anywhere you choose in Oregon. Eugene is in the Willamette Valley, in Lane County. Lane County stretches all the way from the cascades though the Willamette Valley on into the coast. From Eugene it's about an hour drive to the gorgeous coast. Lots of things going on in May and June... tulip festivals, lavender festivals, music festivals, fairs, etc. Just depends on what you're interested in.

7. Eat! We have some unique places to eat here, I think. I've never experienced a place quite like the Pizza Research Institute anyplace else. Cafe Yumm! Is also a local favorite and unique to Eugene. You can check yelp.com for lots of reviews and ideas. Or ask Mr. E!! He has a site, too. Try some Coconut Bliss (you can find it at The Kiva, Red Barn, Sundance, Market of Choice, the Grower's Market, and some other places around town...) It's ice cream without the dairy and sweetened with agave and IMO it's a little tub'o'heaven!

8. See a show at the Hult - will the Bach Festival be going on while you're here?

9. Do the First Friday Art Walk, and now they have a Last Friday Art Walk, too!

10. If it's hot - go to the coast! Just get on 126/11th, and head west for an hour. At Florence you'll hit 101. From 101, there's about a bajillion different places to stop and stretch your legs and relax and cool off. Oregon's Beach Bill protects our coast from development. The Oregon Dunes are pretty fun if you've never been! If you don't have enough time for the coast... go to whiteaker Creek. It's half the distance and a very fun place to cool off. In spring and Fall its also a fantastic spot to see the salmon! Further out there's also triangle lake which has fun natural rock slides - another great way to cool off!

OK... since number ten wasn't IN Eugene... here's another thing we love to do: go to the indie bookstores. The Smith's Family Books on Willamette near the Grower's Market is probably our favorite... followed by Tsunami Books... and then J. Michael's...

Have fun! Hope you enjoy your visit!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Great info - I didn't think of renting a bike!

What are my odds of a dry day in early June? I don't mind a cool/damp day, just no downpours.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:30 AM

3 posts, read 70,923 times
You've got pretty good odds of a dry weekend! I'll cover the food aspect: Check out the grocery stores and markets. We have some wonderful ones here, as were mentioned above. And some amazing local produce at the Saturday market. Some interesting eateries: Eugene city brewery, Laughing Planet, Cafe Yumm, Glenwood, Cornucopia, Sweet Life, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. If you want a spendier/fancier meal try Marché, Belly, or Nib.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 AM

231 posts, read 778,518 times
OK, here's my two-day itinerary for Eugene visitors:

Day 1:

Breakfast at Glenwood Restaurant near UO. (Glenwood Restaurants: Welcome)

For the rest of the day, rental bikes would be ideal, but short drives and walking will work also.

Go for a walk around UO Campus. Don't miss the interesting nooks and crannies, plus be sure to check out historic Hayward Field (track & field).

If it's a Saturday, the Saturday Market at 8th and Oak st. will be open in the morning. Don't miss it. (Eugene, Oregon's Saturday Market)

Short walk over to Down To Earth Home Garden-Gift. Also visit the Green Store next door. Cool Eugene-ish stuff to look at and/or buy. (home2garden)

Stop by Steelhead Brew Pub before or after Down to Earth for lunch and a local brew. (Steelhead Brewing Company - Fresh Beer Served Here!)

Afterward, take another short walk and do some browsing at the 5th Street Market. (Fifth Street Public Market :: Home)

Getting tired yet? Head over to Smith's Family Bookstore Campus location for some relaxation and obscure book browsing. (SFBS: Welcome!)

Starbucks and other coffee shops are just a block or two away.

Dinner awaits at Beppe & Gianni's Trattoria. (Beppe & Gianni's Trattoria - Traditional Italian Food Restaurant in Eugene, Oregon)

Day 2:

(Bikes won't work today).

Breakfast at Turtle's on Willamette in the Amazon area. (Turtle's Bar & Grill)

Head over to the grocery pride & joy of Eugene, Market of Choice on 29th, and stock up on some fresh bread and sliced meats/cheeses that you will eat later for lunch. (Market of Choice)

Drive around Amazon area to get a feel for the neighborhood. Fox Hollow is a nice neighborhood to look around also.

Now follow Willamette into the hills to Spencer Butte. Get on your hiking shoes and head to the top. Enjoy the views and your packed lunch. (Spencer Butte - Eugene Area Parks: Guide to Eugene and Springfield Oregon Parks)

Take a short drive into the forested area south of Eugene (from Spencer Butte, head south along south Willamette. Turn right on Fox Hollow Road, right on McBeth Rd, right again on Lorane Hwy., left on Chambers, then left on McLean. You are now in southwest Eugene's residential area. Drive around and get lost. Find your way eventually back to your hotel. Rest.

Dinner at one of many Eugene restaurants to suit your taste.

You have now been Eugenified!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 AM

If you're in the mood for Pizza - Le Perla is one of only two pizza places in Oregon (the other one is in Bend) that is Verace Pizza Napoletana-certified. (That means it's the real deal. )

Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterdog View Post
We'll be in Eugene for two days and looking to see everything we need to see. Attractions, neighborhoods, shopping and the like.
I forgot to mention shopping and neighborhood places...

OK... some girls when you say "shopping" they think "the mall". Not me. My favorite place to shop in Eugene is Down to Earth. There are two locations. FUN place! The one we go to is on Willamette street. There's a large gardening section, a pet needs area (with cool bird feeders), a body care section that smells so good and carries my favorite soap... large selection of beeswax and soy candles... gifts... pots, pans, dishes, juicers, chopsticks... just all kinds of cool good and useful stuff all under one roof. People there are super friendly, too.

Otherwise, the Saturday Market is probably my favorite place to shop.

Neighborhoods... I live in the northern part of Eugene near Gilham Elementary school and Cal Young middle school (good public schools). This is a really nice area. It's not a funky, eclectic sort of area, though. It's more mainstream here. People have gardeners here - yards are professionally landscaped. A lot of people come to Eugene and expect it to be like the funky Whiteaker or the Friendly neighborhood just all over the city, but that's not how it is, really. There are pretty distinct feelings in the different parts of town, I think. Personally, I do not like the areas around West Eugene at all. To suburbia, too industrial, too flat, too far removed from everything. College Hill area and South Hills and Hendrick's park areas we love. Parts of Ferry Street Bridge are some of our favorites, too. We almost bought a home at the foot of Gillespie Butte... love that area, too. I think a fun neighborhood to drive around in is the area around Hendrick's Park... I'd recommend that!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:09 AM

Mr. E I was gonna rep you but I gotta spread it around.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the great info so far, I'm taking notes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area