Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,661 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I am 21 years old female and will be moving to Oregon in late September but I'm still not sure exactly where I want to end up. I fell in love with Oregon several years ago, the forests and waterfalls are intoxicating, I'm also under the impression that anything will grow here. I want a safe area with reasonably low crime rate, close to a city, with low housing cost. I've looked into the Eugene and Portland areas but I'm looking for more information. There are so many variables to look at that its a little over whelming, I've lived in my current state with my family my whole live so I have little to no experience with this. I currently live in Atlanta, GA. I would love to live in an area where I can live in the country, but play in the city.

Does anyone have any opinion on the area Portland/Eugene/Salem? Is it safe? Low on drugs? Dog friendly? Lots of nature trails and wild herbs? Is it constantly raining, I want to see the sky sometimes? Are there large dark trees and waterfalls everywhere? Is the fall long and gorgeous? Please, please, please tell all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
I don't think I understand why someone would move to Oregon when they don't even know where they will live, or want to live.

So tell us .... just why are you moving to Oregon?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:30 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
Steve...same reason many young people spread their wings and move to a new place, adventure, change, following a dream. Oregon is as good a place as any and better than most! Good luck Herbal_maiden Oregon is a beautiful place and has great friendly people. It's been too long since I lived there to make a recommendation but am sure you will find a place.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 PM

Sorry to say our streets are full of them. Many sleeping in doorways, others joining up with four or five others in communal living situations that just never work out. Some getting wise and going back home.

I asked the OP as you cannot know why they think this is a good move or even why they are considering it.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:52 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
It is probably best to have a job first but that being said if you don't try you never know. Not everyone ends up on the streets it depends on what skills you have and if you are willing to work hard to get needed skills or training. Once you settle down and have a family it can be hard to uproot financially and emotionally. It is said...the biggest regret in life is the road not taken and is not the fact you tried and failed.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM

If you had not noticed, those crowds of Zimmerman Protestors, are half young white kids who you will see living on the street as often as you will see them protesting what ever the issue of the week is. The reason ..... it has nothing to do with thier passon. It is about having nothing else to do. Like a job.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:14 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Steve, what makes you think she wouldn't be a ood, productive tax paying citizen of your state?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Steve, what makes you think she wouldn't be a ood, productive tax paying citizen of your state?

History. Most of the "Oods" of the world seem to avoid taxes.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
History. Most of the "Oods" of the world seem to avoid taxes.
LOL. I meant "good" but I'm guessing you know that. I am considering relocating as well. How does the private sector look in Oregon's two major cities?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbal_Maiden View Post
Hey everyone! I am 21 years old female and will be moving to Oregon in late September but I'm still not sure exactly where I want to end up. I fell in love with Oregon several years ago, the forests and waterfalls are intoxicating, I'm also under the impression that anything will grow here. I want a safe area with reasonably low crime rate, close to a city, with low housing cost. I've looked into the Eugene and Portland areas but I'm looking for more information. There are so many variables to look at that its a little over whelming, I've lived in my current state with my family my whole live so I have little to no experience with this. I currently live in Atlanta, GA. I would love to live in an area where I can live in the country, but play in the city.

Does anyone have any opinion on the area Portland/Eugene/Salem? Is it safe? Low on drugs? Dog friendly? Lots of nature trails and wild herbs? Is it constantly raining, I want to see the sky sometimes? Are there large dark trees and waterfalls everywhere? Is the fall long and gorgeous? Please, please, please tell all!!
What you need to be asking is how will you be able to support yourself. What is your occupation? Do you have anything saved to live on while looking for work? Any contacts here that may help you find work or housing?

Housing costs and the cost of living in both Portland and Eugene are pretty high. You need a good job. The things you admire about Oregon are also the things many others admire as well so the safe, less drug and crime areas will be more costly.

The question is, what can you bring to Oregon that will ensure your safety and wellbeing so that you can live the life you want to live that will set you apart from all the others just like you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area