Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 06:11 PM

11 posts, read 18,322 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I'm coming out there in May/ June to scope out moving with work (Trader Joes). I'll have work. I'll be on a limited income though but hope to find either a rental or a cheap home within an hour of work. Right now, me and the dogs live in a cabin 45 minutes from work, somewhere I fixed up and made into a home, so I know I can do it easily enough with time.
I also write and publish so my TJ job is only part time. After being settled in NM and coming from England originally, I crave the ocean, cooler wet weather, hills to hike with the dogs, breweries to explore, artists and creative progressive people to chat to before I head home again. I'm not looking for a community as such, no churches or groups for me, but being around lefties/ hippies/ musicians or whatever you want to call us, those are my people.
So my question is this, which small towns do you recommend? I saw Lebanon has a brewery these days, some in Eugene, but housing in the city would be too expensive.
Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks and I'll follow up your ideas in summer when I'm there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 08:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,223,339 times
There are lots of smaller communities in the area within 10 to 30 minutes of Eugene/Springfield. Pleasant Hill, Creswell, Cottage Grove, Veneta, a little further out is Jasper, Lowell, Oakridge (where I live). I like Oakridge, because it's out of the Willamette valley and gets very little fog compared to the valley, but it's about 45 minutes from Eugene, so a bit of a drive.

Good luck on your search!

Old 02-22-2016, 09:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Rentals in Eugene seem to be going up pretty fast. Maybe look out in Veneta; it would be an easy drive to the coast for short visits. Maybe Oakridge -- people do commute (but I would hate to), and rents are still pretty cheap. Brew pub is fairly decent -- Brewer's Union Local, especially if you like English-style cask ale. Lost Valley eco village sometimes has cabin rentals.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:48 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,986 times
For the OP, what's your desired rental / purchase price.

There is some savings outside of Eugene, but almost nothing in the valley is cheap. An hour would give you some options in the coastal range or, as noted above, Oakridge, but again, how cheap do you need?

If you don't want to say, I'd probably look at the list above plus the area around Junction City, and maybe Albany, though Albany ain't as cheap as it used to be either.

The major downside of Oakridge is that the roads will be the most subject to inclement weather.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:19 AM

Thanks, his helps. I can transfer to Corvallis, Eugene, or Bend so I'm looking at all three points of that triangle. Bend might be a better fit for me after 20 yrs in the high desert of NM! It seems hard to find rentals in each area for dogs and cats though, almost cheaper to buy a cabin in the outskirts of town. Lots to think about! Thanks again. S

Old 02-25-2016, 07:45 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I don't know where the Trader Joe's is located in Eugene. If you look at a map, there is a string of small towns lining the McKenzie River Highway. Those are wonderful little tiny towns, with outstanding scenery and recreational opportunities. I don't know if they are an hour's drive to Trader Joe's or not.

The road between Florance, on the coast, and Eugene is a good one, but there are times of year when it is going to be a very slow drive. On a clear day with no traffic, you might make it in an hour, but not in the summer when the road is clogged with slow moving motor homes and not some days in the winter when the road is icy or the many days in winter when there is heavy fog. To live near Eugene and do a weekend at the coast, or even a day trip, is very do-able.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:55 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleam View Post
....... Bend might be a better fit for me ........
I haves some of the low rent rentals in Bend and employees of Trader Joe's can not afford the rent unless they are married with a spouse who makes a good salary. I know, because when employees of Trader Jo's transfer into Bend, they always want to apply to rent from me.

On the outskirts of Bend, you can buy a 1070's mobile home on 1/2 an acre for $175,000- $250,000. Those can not be financed, so you would need all cash. You might possibly find a small house to buy in Prineville or Madras. Prineville is less of a commute, but judging by the amount of traffic, I'd say that a lot of people live in Madras and commute to Bend.

You might be able to buy something in Crooked River Ranch. That's a nice place to live and it is about an hour from the outer edge of the Ranch to Trader Joe's. It wouldn't take as long to get to Bend from the entrance of the Ranch. The road is generally good and a lot safer than trying to drive to bend form La Pine.

La Pine is cheaper but it's a long drive from La Pine to the north edge of Bend where Trader Joe's is located. Roads are bad in the winter and you'd have to drive all the way through Bend in heavy traffic.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:15 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,986 times
The Eugene TJs is in the Oakway development right at Coburg and I-105 / Rt 126. Pretty convenient for coming from anywhere via the I-5 corridor. Even coming from Oakridge you'd hop on I-5 up to 105, and voila.

Coming from the coastal range I'd guess it would be a bit less convenient, at least if coming in at rush, which I kinda doubt would be the case here.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:32 PM

How about the Mapleton/ Swisshome area? What kind of community is there? Religious? Progressive? I keep to myself mostly but I don't think I can live in a small town where make-up and church is a focus...

Old 02-28-2016, 02:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Swisshome in particular would be an awful commute. There might be pockets of your people in both communities, and more as you get up to Deadwood, but I wouldn't do that commute for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area