Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 06:33 AM

55 posts, read 51,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
If you know little about your neighboring country, that is deliberate ignorance on your part.

Like I said, I think there are some similarities, even if superficial. It's not like comparing Finland to Italy, or Germany to Greece.

No similarities whatsoever. Italy is far more similar. As to Finland, as I never been there, I don't know.
The only people that might be familiar in Spain with that country are those in the frontier, in Huelva, in cities that are now Spanish but were Portuguese recently, such as Olivenza, people in Tuy that lived thanks to the tobacco and meat contraband for generations. But for the rest, just like a country in another continent. People just don't think about that country, not even a tourist destination as it was before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,697 times
Haha, you really are eating your words now aren't you. Portugal are champions of Europe 2016, and they beat the French on their own turf, and guess what? They did it without Ronaldo as he was injured. Haha, your soooo wrong.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,697 times
Default Eat your words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao Bacalao View Post
I have noticed that the Portugee are the BIGGEST anti-Spanish racists on the planet! This is primarily due to the fact that they have been bed-buddies and living under the Brittish skirts for Over 700+ years? Historically, the Brittish used the Portugee to help them steal from the Spanish overseas colonies and steal the colonies themselves (Bahamas, Jamaica, Gibraltar etc. too many to mention here actually). Now that the Brittish have "economically" abandoned the Portugee they attempt to compare themselves to Spain by Pretending that they have a great soccer team with the likes of Ronaldo. The only problem is that the Portugee national soccer team has NEVER won a single European Cup or World Cup and they NEVER will because in order to do that they would need a squad full of all-star players and not just Ronaldo. This last point apparently is VERY difficult for the Purtugee to digest and understand so they insult, and throw racial slurs toward the Spanish 24-7 (especially in Canada where the Portugee think they are special). The bulk of the Spaniards just laugh and IGNORE the Portugee's Ignorance. After all, Spain have Won 3 European Cups and 1 World Cup in soccer as compared to Portugee's Z-E-R-O Cups. I typically stay the hell away from the Ignorant Portugee (too much hate they have inside of them and it is explosive and unpredictable!).
Haha, I usually don't comment on threads like this but when I read your comment I couldn't resist. You really are eating your words now aren't you? Portugal are champions of Europe 2016, and they beat the French on their own turf, and guess what? They did it without Ronaldo as he was injured. Haha, your soooo wrong. "pretending that they have a great soccer team".....yeah right! They have proved themselves to be the best team in Europe unlike the Spanish who were knocked out easily by the Italians. Yes you really do need to swallow your horse****e now

Old 10-01-2016, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,174 times
Portugal is far cooler than Spain. Portuguese people are more reserved but far more genuine. Portugal has had immigration from its colonies since the 70s, whereas the Spanish (in Spain) still have very little knowledge or understanding of other cultures. Despite living in a more advanced economy, Spanish people seem to lead happy, simple but very insular lives. Portuguese people seem more complex and cerebral.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:35 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,332,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The is what I have seen as well. Almost every day of the week I eat lunch at the same restaurant (western Algarve), which in the summer has about 75-80% Spanish customers. The Portuguese and Brazilian staff seem to have very little problem understanding the Spanish; however, a good number of the Spanish really strain to understand the Portuguese language, while others seem to have only a little problem.

I have wondered if perhaps some regional Spanish accents (Galicia aside) might not have a closer similarity to Portuguese than others.

Not really, Galician and Portuguese are different.
It's jusr that in areas thar receive many Spanish tourists or near the frontier..everybody speaks "chapurreau" which is some sort of pidgin.
But really, in Europe there's no problem in restaurants as waiters know a multi-lingual jargon.

Also, there are people in some regions of Spain that travel very frequently to Portugal to shop, even for weddings....in the city of Badajoz, everybody holds the "nuptial banquets" in Portugal....much cheaper,

Last edited by karstic; 10-04-2016 at 05:47 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 07:33 AM

749 posts, read 857,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Not really, Galician and Portuguese are different.
It's jusr that in areas thar receive many Spanish tourists or near the frontier..everybody speaks "chapurreau" which is some sort of pidgin.
But really, in Europe there's no problem in restaurants as waiters know a multi-lingual jargon.

Also, there are people in some regions of Spain that travel very frequently to Portugal to shop, even for weddings....in the city of Badajoz, everybody holds the "nuptial banquets" in Portugal....much che'aper,
Maybe they have their banquets in Portugal because they are tired of paella and the food is better there, what do you think? I think you should pitch the Spanish restaurants you own in Miami, great business opportunity there.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:59 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,129,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Maybe they have their banquets in Portugal because they are tired of paella and the food is better there, what do you think?
Hey Portujizz, get your facts straight, paella is only eaten in the Valencian Country. Everyone else is just eating a **** poor copy, Chinese fake brand kind of deal, and yeah, surely they will get tired of the bootleg version of paella cooked up elsewhere, but once you try the real deal from the Valencian Community you won't want to eat anything else. There's no getting tired of paella. Never. It just doesn't happen.

You puny mortals are something % water.
Valencians are 99% rice. PAELLA RICE! We're the next step on the evolutionary chain.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:12 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,332,028 times
Also all along the coast of Tarragona, magnificent rices, rossejat. Sant Carles de la Ràpita, l'Atmella, etc. The delta...

As to the food in Badajoz (Extremadura) is very similar to Alentejo cooking, but still much cheaper in Portugal.

Last edited by karstic; 10-07-2016 at 05:54 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 09:13 PM

749 posts, read 857,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Hey Portujizz, get your facts straight, paella is only eaten in the Valencian Country. Everyone else is just eating a **** poor copy, Chinese fake brand kind of deal, and yeah, surely they will get tired of the bootleg version of paella cooked up elsewhere, but once you try the real deal from the Valencian Community you won't want to eat anything else. There's no getting tired of paella. Never. It just doesn't happen.

You puny mortals are something % water.
Valencians are 99% rice. PAELLA RICE! We're the next step on the evolutionary chain.

I'm sure they do love their paella, that makes me overjoyed!

Old 11-22-2016, 04:24 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,449,317 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe