Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 07:15 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M. Cabral View Post
All I know is that alot of you *******s that have never been to the Iberian peninsula have nothing on which to hinge your conclusions. My father is from Northern Portugal (Oporto) and I was surpised that alot of people I saw there had green or blue or really light hazel eyes. There is also a surprising amount of blond and res hair. Remember we are of Germanic and Celtic origins in the North of Portugal. Do not go to Southern Portugal and talk smack. Go to Northern Portugal. Half my cousins have blond hair and blue or green eyes, and they are Northern Portuguese people that would get lost in a crowd of nordic types.

That is part of it but it is much more complex than that there is no need to pretend to be what we are not people from the Isles and Germany can clearly see that there is a difference. We are descended from the Celtic-Iberians, Phoenicians,Greeks, Romans, Goths(Germans), Alans, Jews, Berbers, Arabs, and even a small amount of West and East African. In addition many Europeans from other nations settled in Portugal during the Reconquista.

There are very few Portuguese that look like they are from Scandinavia. The term nordic is rarely used any more except by racists. I have seen recently Youtube videos posted of the North of Portugal with cherry picked light complected pictures and with Celtic music by played the whole thing looks like a desperate attempt to convince people the Portuguese are just like the Isles if you ask me, we are much more diverse than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:15 AM
AFP

Portugal does have Celtic roots there isn't any dispute but that is only part of our story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAES2y_6Me8

Old 07-18-2015, 08:13 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That is part of it but it is much more complex than that there is no need to pretend to be what we are not people from the Isles and Germany can clearly see that there is a difference. We are descended from the Celtic-Iberians, Phoenicians,Greeks, Romans, Goths(Germans), Alans, Jews, Berbers, Arabs, and even a small amount of West and East African. In addition many Europeans from other nations settled in Portugal during the Reconquista.

There are very few Portuguese that look like they are from Scandinavia. The term nordic is rarely used any more except by racists. I have seen recently Youtube videos posted of the North of Portugal with cherry picked light complected pictures and with Celtic music by played the whole thing looks like a desperate attempt to convince people the Portuguese are just like the Isles if you ask me, we are much more diverse than that.
True!

Old 07-26-2015, 10:07 AM

Location: Middlesbrough, Teesside, North Yorkshire, England, UK
8 posts, read 12,997 times
Didn't Spain and Portugal form iberia and was one country?

Old 08-15-2015, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
I am Portuguese and I have to say that not even Madrid can be compared to Lisbon, Madrid is nothing special. Only Barcelona can. So, madrileños or whatever you say, stop being so cocky.
Let's just clarify some things:

1) You were never superior to us, in fact, you could never conquer Portugal, even though your population and size is four times higher. So, our much smaller country can be considered more smart than yours.

2) You are indeed very loud when speaking, so that's why people think you are rude.

3) Don't pretend you are "not good with languages" when the reality is that you simply don't even try to speak well or understand others

4) Portuguese? Melancholic? lol Maybe just much more sophisticated and with a smarter sense of humor than your basic one. In fact, I have never seen people laughing at everything as the Portuguese do.

5) Inside that country you call Spain there are many regions that would gladly be independent, the case of Catalunha! I met people from there and they don't even want to say that they are spanish, they prefer to say they are "from the world" or from "Catalunha". And the problems you have with País Basco? Lol. Only Madrid in fact likes to be in a country called Spain actually.

So before insulting a country in which everyone will proudly say they are all from Portugal and Portuguese, deal with your own problems you miserable. And just to finish, Brasil is much better than all your spanish speaking american latin countries. In fact, its GDP alone is higher than the rest Latin American countries all together. So, please, don't be cocky.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:12 PM
AFP

Are you sure you're Portuguese?

Old 08-15-2015, 09:16 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlesbrough_84 View Post
Didn't Spain and Portugal form iberia and was one country?
Iberia was a name introduced by the Greeks after the Ebro river you are thinking about the kingdom of Iberia in the Southern Caucasus.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:18 PM
AFP

Love this song. For me it shows that Portuguese and Spaniards are unique but sometimes the the blend of the two cultures can produce something beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX5axcL0AM0

Old 01-01-2016, 12:46 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,061 times
Her voice is breathtaking. And then 4:57 happens <3

Old 01-02-2016, 04:01 AM

83 posts, read 129,200 times
I think the takeaway from all of this is, Portugal and Spain are really not terribly similar, and for a lot of reasons.

Portugal has a pretty consistent nationalistic identity, but you'll also find people function incredibly differently when going from cities (Lisbon, Coimbra, Oporto) into large towns and then in villages.

Spain has no national identity. As people have pointed out, you find stark differences going From Anadalucia to Catalunia to the Basque region... it's impossible to characterize the country as one. Barcelona and Madrid are the largest cities, and they could not be more different - and then you go down to Sevilla or Grenada, and again it feels like you're in a different country.

As a proud Portuguese, I'm not going to argue that one is better than the other (though there's obviously a clear winner ), but the two countries are very distinct from one another, and Spain within itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe