Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 08:05 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times

Advertisements

The Portuguese are different from the Spaniards culturally. In my opinion They seem to be more industrious, organized but much more conservative than Spaniards who are outgoing, relaxed and religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 01:20 AM

469 posts, read 576,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The Portuguese are different from the Spaniards culturally. In my opinion They seem to be more industrious, organized but much more conservative than Spaniards who are outgoing, relaxed and religious.
With all respect, this is a very inaccurate statement. The "Spaniards", is a broad term, not all are the same, neither are the "Portuguese".

You are painting with a broad brush. Spain is varied, very much so. Regions differ. Culture, food, dialect , political leanings, etc. can vary, in say, the Canary Islands compared to Extremadura, compared to the Basque Country, Catalunya, Andalucia, Madrid, Galicia etc.. it's not a completely unified country. Portugal isn't either. There are regional differences. The Azores and Porto may speak the same language, but I wouldn't think they are identical in all aspects, so to speak.

Last edited by wvtraveler; 06-19-2015 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: Awaiting the repeatedly banned Cubano to make a post telling me that I'm some American that has "never set foot in Spain"

Old 06-19-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
With all respect, this is a very inaccurate statement. The "Spaniards", is a broad term, not all are the same, neither are the "Portuguese".

You are painting with a broad brush. Spain is varied, very much so. Regions differ. Culture, food, dialect , political leanings, etc. can vary, in say, the Canary Islands compared to Extremadura, compared to the Basque Country, Catalunya, Andalucia, Madrid, Galicia etc.. it's not a completely unified country. Portugal isn't either. There are regional differences. The Azores and Porto may speak the same language, but I wouldn't think they are identical in all aspects, so to speak.
Don't put words, I did not say!!
All I said was that the Portuguese are a much more industrious people, whether they come from Porto, Lisboa or Madeira, etc... The Spaniards on the other hand seem much more relaxed, laid-back. This doesn't mean that they are identical, in every country, people vary from region to region.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:15 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus10 View Post
Hi

The two countries are entirely different since both have lived back to back since secession, that was in 1640 or so. Even when the two countries became one, during seventy years, Portugal and Castile were very different. Just as different as Castile and Aragon, Navarre and other former realms that formed a confederation in 1492.

As to genetic difference, there's no discernible genetic difference and if there is, nobody cares. I've only heard about genetic diferences in foreign supremacist webs. As it is, as Spanish, I can't set apart Portuguese from Spanish if they don't talk. They do appear more shy, discreet, but they could be from any Spanish region.

Portuguese men have the reputation of being very handsome, good English clothing. Portuguese women have the reputation of being ugly. Just reputation. Their food is very diferent.
In what country I have never heard of this other than this site. Where I live they have the opposite reputation in fact historically many Anglo's complained that they were attracted to Portuguese girls but many of the girls had parents that wouldn't allow them to date out of their culture.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:58 AM
AFP

Quote:
Hi

The two countries are entirely different since both have lived back to back since secession, that was in 1640 or so. Even when the two countries became one, during seventy years, Portugal and Castile were very different. Just as different as Castile and Aragon, Navarre and other former realms that formed a confederation in 1492.

As to genetic difference, there's no discernible genetic difference and if there is, nobody cares. I've only heard about genetic diferences in foreign supremacist webs. As it is, as Spanish, I can't set apart Portuguese from Spanish if they don't talk. They do appear more shy, discreet, but they could be from any Spanish region.

Portuguese men have the reputation of being very handsome, good English clothing. Portuguese women have the reputation of being ugly. Just reputation. Their food is very diferent.

The two countries never became one the crown of Portugal was united with the crowns of Castille and Aragon, they maintained two seperate colonial empires for approximately sixty years not seventy. The truth is Spain had plans on incorporating Portugal something the Portuguese people did not want. The truth is for some Portuguese the comparision is irritating although on the surface there are similarites when you dig deeper the differences betwen the two are significant.

This is complete BS when you state nobody cares genetic genealogy is really big in the US and to some degree the UK people take great interest and learning how groups are connected and learning more about how the species evolved.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:39 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yesterday I was in Setubal again, a city south of Lisbon. It was a joy, there is such a positive vibe there, it is my favorite city in Portugal, full of Brazilians and Africans. And the ladies...

The only thing that really gets on my nerves sometimes is the TV coverage of bull fighting, sad enough that kind of organized animal torture is not outlawed altogether, yet, but on TV for hours?!

What also strikes me is that the Portuguese often have low self-esteem. Whenever there are foreigners, they ask them what they think of their country, basically forcing them to say something nice. Like children asking adults for recognition. There is no need to do that. They tend to think too little of themselves and be too critical of themselves.

I guess I will give up my German citizenship next year and get the Portuguese one instead

As far as Spaniards, I am not really a fan, somehow they seem more aggressive, which I don't like. I prefer the slow motion here in Europe's wild west

I have seen this a few times I think for some it is a way the some Portuguese show hospitality. I is also customary for some Portuguese when they receive guests in their home to show every room of the house as you may well know many Portuguese take pride in their homes like some people do with cars, but it is a way of showing hospitality and to show off a nice home, but yes they do take offense with netative feedback it is considered extremely rude.

Last edited by AFP; 06-19-2015 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessel View Post
Who said that every blonde people with blue eyes in Ireland came from Scandinavia? That's your own invention and then you try to make an argument out of it? By the way, you should show more respect, it's not my fault if you feel insulted when you get to know that maybe some of your blood is not germanic but south european...

So, I said that with the scandinavian vikings because this makes a difference. If some centuries ago the population of celtic Spain and Irelan looked alike, some time later arabs came to Spain and Vikings to Ireland. So you can understand why some Irish and Spaniards still look the same and why some of them don't. It is just a matter of statistics, I never said every single blonde in Ireland came from Scandinavia, but the fact that the vikings came makes a higher rate of blonde people in Ireland, that's all. See the nonsense?

You can keep posting pictures of those girls there, but I repeat, Ireland is more than a bunch of pale girls.

One question, have you ever been in Europe?
The simple fact that 75.47% of Spaniards have brown eyes and over 75% of the Irish have blue/green eyes shows already that there is a great difference between the two respective European population. Pale pigmentation would be more common among those who have higher frequency of blue eyes than those who have higher frequency of brown eyes. This already shows that one is a typical Southern European population while the other is a Northern European population. Yes they are indeed all European. My question is, why you Spanish folks have to prove your "whiteness" by saying that you look British or Irish, but never admit that the Italians, the Greeks, other Mediterranean people are much closer to you in appearance? The truth is you don't look Irish/British! On individual basis, some do, but it's not the norm. Be proud of who you are, a Southern European. You admitted yourself that the Irish have a higher rate of blondes, but you forgot to add an even higher rate of redheads, light eyes, light complexions so with that, there is a big difference there. Additionally there are plenty of Irish people who have dark hair, but are light-eyed with a skin type that is very sensitive to the sun, doesn't tan but burns. It seems to me, you wanted to exaggerate some "close" similarities which are not there. You were hoping that the R1b would save lies, but it doesn't.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
It shows recent population mouvements, less than 10.000-12.000 years ago Take for example the superfamous r1b discovered not a long time ago, it's very recent. The ancestral populations taken into account in the autosomal such as those that you mention as coming from the steppes with a high ANE count, those populations are also recent.

I'm not substracting any worth to autosomal analyis, but ancestral populations existing in Europe during the paleolithic or early neolithic are probably a percentage as scarce that barely exists in Great Britain. As to the Mylesian myth, those r1b in Great Britain probably did not come in a straight line from Le Tene or the Danube, they might have come from anywhere up north or the west. They might have been a bounced population, such as the case of most pottery cultures.

Taking into account that homo sapiens arrived into Europe 40.000 years ago after wandering 150.000, there's no much knowledge about people existing before the last glaciation, or people existing just 12.000 years ago in European areas not covered with ice. They probably did not survive for the most part.

Take for example the Altamira caves, 30.000 to 40.000 years ago, or the Lascaux caves, 16.000 years ago. It's quite likely that most of that population probably disappeared, just as Neanderthals that also painted caves.

I believe that I read they were a subspecie from h.s called Cromagnon. As you say, there are so many myths that come rolling during so many centuries.

We will probably know in the future, maybe not.

And just to provide a link to the OP's question, we are talking about the Mylesian Myth. Not that I believe very much in myths, but they are not to be discounted lightly. The distance in years is not that big to create a myth, just 4.000 to 6.000 years.
Modern populations of Europe are descended from those recent populations, even the evolution of white skin amongst Europeans is relatively recent (not more than 7,000 years old). The Milesian Myth is first all a myth. The truth is that it tells us something about the Celts and the first Gaels to have arrived in Ireland. Depending on sources, around 1,000 B.C. Celts who were well established in central regions of Europe and expanded their realm, subdued some Germanic tribes as well, pushed westwards over the Rhine penetrated into England, Scotland and Ireland. Subsequently another wave swept over the Pyrenees into the Spanish Peninsula. Other waves came westwards still later. Eoinn MacNeil and other scientistic enquirers hold that it was only in the fifth century before Christ that Celts reached Spain and that it was not via Spain but via northern France and Britain that they (Celts), crushed out from Germany eventually reached Ireland. This seems to be in line with genetical studies which are far away more precise than myths. We see that the R1b, split took place already in Central Europe before the western migration. No wonder we have the R1b-L21 very common in Ireland, while the R1b-DF27 more common in Spain.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessel View Post
Irish and Basques have more in common than Irish and Germans, also Spanish and Portuguese generally have more in common with the British and Irish than Germans or Scandinavians, sorry for your racial dreams on descending from the vikings.

European Y-DNA haplogroups frequencies by country - Eupedia

R1b in:

Ireland - 81
Spain - 69
Basque country - 85
Scotland - 72
England - 67
Portugal - 56

Germany - 44
Sweden - 21
Norway - 32
Netherlands - 49
No they don't! The Irish belong much more to the Northern European even more so than Germans and the English as a whole, while Basques belong more to Southern European group. Being of the R1b-Y haplogroup means nothing, if there is no specifications.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 7,498 times
All I know is that alot of you *******s that have never been to the Iberian peninsula have nothing on which to hinge your conclusions. My father is from Northern Portugal (Oporto) and I was surpised that alot of people I saw there had green or blue or really light hazel eyes. There is also a surprising amount of blond and res hair. Remember we are of Germanic and Celtic origins in the North of Portugal. Do not go to Southern Portugal and talk smack. Go to Northern Portugal. Half my cousins have blond hair and blue or green eyes, and they are Northern Portuguese people that would get lost in a crowd of nordic types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe