Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,269,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, in the USA, back in the 1970's, there were alot of jokes about Polish people. Among them was the stereotype about Polish people being "dumb".
I believe the Polish jokes originated from much further back though. Moreso when there was heavy heavy Polish immigration to Chicago, Detroit, New York, etc.

Their numbers were extremely high at their time, and era, and I'd imagine most did not know English at the time. Probably making them the butt of many Midwestern jokes at the time.

Despite that, it also seems to me, that everyone I've met from Poland, and people I've known who've taught English in Poland, talk about this deep intellectualism deeply ingrained within the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 PM

73,144 posts, read 62,819,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
OP isn't in the USA.

Again, the problem isn't Polish.
I never said it was the Polish. My point was that other people have stereotyped the Polish as "dumb".

Old 03-15-2012, 01:40 AM

61,949 posts, read 87,574,290 times
I heard exactly the same jokes as a Polish, German, Irish, Jew, Russian, or Blonde. Go figure...

Old 03-15-2012, 02:29 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,131,249 times
Living in Germany I only hear jokes about Polish people stealing. My girlfriend is Polish and she can laugh at them.

(aus was für Stahl wird Autos in Polen gebaut? Diebstahl)

I have been there a few times, visited Breslau but mostly stayed in a rural area. I cannot say much about Intellectualism there, her family is all farmers, the younger generation is all going to study and seem quite well informed and intelligent. The older, say over 30 are fairly simple farming folk, maybe no higher education, and not "Intellectual" but intelligent, warm, open and hardworking people. Lots of respect for them.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 AM

73,144 posts, read 62,819,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I believe the Polish jokes originated from much further back though. Moreso when there was heavy heavy Polish immigration to Chicago, Detroit, New York, etc.

Their numbers were extremely high at their time, and era, and I'd imagine most did not know English at the time. Probably making them the butt of many Midwestern jokes at the time.

Despite that, it also seems to me, that everyone I've met from Poland, and people I've known who've taught English in Poland, talk about this deep intellectualism deeply ingrained within the culture.
I've never heard of the intellectualism ingrained in the culture from other Polish people. Usually, I hear of the Catholic faith being ingrained.

On the other hand, one of the first pioneers in astronomy was a Polish man named Copernicus.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:21 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,494,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norway4life View Post
Poles who live in Norway are very smart, have good knowledge of history, are good in maths, and.. can build solid houses....

Poland is ranked within the top three European nations along with Germans and Dutch in terms of their IQ. Average Polish IQ is 106. Although Norway was not tested, I believe we are high as well:]

European IQ map proves Brits are brainy | Mail Online

What I think is that Poles always lived under extremely hard political conditions being crunched between Germany and Soviet Union (or Russia), two main world powers. They had to think hard to survive and hold the country, keep the cultural wealth etc... This is what made their brain cells circulate...
I know someone who has a PhD in Computer Science and does lousy on IQ tests. Wouldn't read too much into this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway4life View Post
...which were brought by Germans who came first and poised the well so.. Poles and Germans didn't get along.
huh? No. There has been very little immigration from Germany since the late 40's. Or European immigration in general.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,547,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I know someone who has a PhD in Computer Science and does lousy on IQ tests. Wouldn't read too much into this...

huh? No. There has been very little immigration from Germany since the late 40's. Or European immigration in general.
The Germans came in the 18th and 19th centuries. Much of the country was German speaking and there's even distinct German dialects in formerly German areas of the country, like the West Texas dialect and of course the Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch) language of the remaining orthodox Amish.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,494,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The Germans came in the 18th and 19th centuries. Much of the country was German speaking and there's even distinct German dialects in formerly German areas of the country, like the West Texas dialect and of course the Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch) language of the remaining orthodox Amish.
No, it wasn't. They might have been the largest group, but the largest group among many other groups.

The Armish.. that's a tiny population. In 1920, there were 5,000 of them.

Claiming that Polish jokes came to America because of the Germans is far fetched. I don't even know of any Polish jokes. They didn't like the Irish back then, either. So when they came, jokes about the Irish came with them. Why? Because they didn't like them. The same happened to many other new immigrants.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:40 AM

56 posts, read 101,493 times
British didn't like Irish.
Germans didn't like Poles.

Generally Catholics were not liked, except for German Catholics.

Maybe Germans didn't come first, but were the most numerous among Europeans.

First Poles came in 1608 to the Virginia Colony, along with Germans. Poles organized the first recorded strike in New World, demanding right to vote, which was extended to them (previously only British could vote). Also Poles first established first bilingual schools. Germans were second in this matter.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,269,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Claiming that Polish jokes came to America because of the Germans is far fetched. I don't even know of any Polish jokes.
That's actually a true statement.

The history of Pollack jokes begins with Hitler and Germany basically dehumanizing Poles, to make it acceptable to invade and take over. Essentially, Nazi propoganda.

If you haven't heard of Pollack jokes, you're probably not from a part of the U.S. that has had heavy Polish and German immigration. The Midwest is incredibly high immigrants of both nationalities, and fairly commonplace when I grew up.

I never knew why or where they come from, when I was a kid, but they were everywhere. Kind of like 'blond jokes'. How many Pollacks does it take to screw in a lightbulb, etc.

Just do any google search for 'pollack jokes' and you can be busy for months, if not years, trying to read them all. You can also search the origins, and pretty much all sources lead to nazi germany propoganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe