Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Romance or Germanic Europe?
Romance 141 56.63%
Germanic 108 43.37%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'm more drawn to the Germanic countries although my favorite is Switzerland (which might arguably be considered a Romance country.)
It is mixed though with the expansion of German in the country at the expense of the Romance languages it is slowly becoming more Germanic.

I'm going for Germanic myself. A little bit cooler so it is easier to get outdoors more. A better scene for winter sports. Much better economies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailarina View Post
There are many differences. I think germanic countries are more orderly and efficient, less spontaneous, promote more autonomy as a value, interpersonal relations are cooler, respect more the laws, austere, more phlegmatic etc while mediterranean countries are more spontaneous, less organized, they have less vision of the future, more "carpe diem", are also more conspicuous, enjoy life on the street, more dependent on family, less politically correct, more temperamental and sociable...

Just my opinion
To paint it broadly, I would say this holds.

There are some funny 'exceptions' I guess. Northern European nations tend to be more liberal - like the Dutch are pretty free about sex, while Italians are still conservative in some ways. French and Spanish though are 'liberated.' Mediterranean countries are more traditional/family-orientated and also seemingly more fun-loving.

Italians are definitely very different to Northern Europeans as a rule. Much more friendly, gregarious, and direct but can appear brusque and rude to mild-mannered Northerners. They are known to be passionate and emotional while Germans especially are stereotyped as cerebral and rational. The English and moreso the Irish have a bit of that Celtic flair.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
less politically correct
Is this really a long term trend though? Speaking specifically about Germany, many Germans I have known say Germany and Germans go to great lengths to not appear politically incorrect out of fear that they are stereotyped as such and worse because of the nation's actions during the 1930s and 1940s. This is understabdable, but is it likely this will still be a major influence on German society 100 years from now?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 AM

190 posts, read 706,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Is this really a long term trend though? Speaking specifically about Germany, many Germans I have known say Germany and Germans go to great lengths to not appear politically incorrect out of fear that they are stereotyped as such and worse because of the nation's actions during the 1930s and 1940s. This is understabdable, but is it likely this will still be a major influence on German society 100 years from now?

In my experience, the Germans are the exception. In my experience, rather than direct sometimes intrusive. Scandinavian and British seems much more politically correct.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Political correctness is rife here in the UK - there's a vocal minority that get offended so easily and have nothing better to do other then look for something that looks even remotely inappropriate..

Old 03-02-2012, 11:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
In my experience, the Germans are the exception. In my experience, rather than direct sometimes intrusive. Scandinavian and British seems much more politically correct.
I wonder where the Dutch fit into this. Maybe more like the Germans?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:58 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Germanic.

But I would like to point out that we are not unfriendly, even if it might take a while to learn to know someone.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:04 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've always been more interested in the countries of the Romance speaking world: primarily Italy, France, Spain, because of their longer history, I prefer their culture (more vibrant, outdoorsy), attitude to life/love of life, cuisine etc. I find the Germanic world interesting as well - especially Britain, for cultural reasons, but as a place I find southern and western Europe more attractive and interesting.

For this poll:

Germanic - UK, Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia

Romance - Portugal, Spain, France, Italy
I prefer Latin Europe, or Romance Europe as you put it.

I found Switzerland, Germany, Austria and even parts of France so orderly that the prospect of living there scared me stiff, almost to death.

I prefer the semi-chaos of Latin Europe, and also Latin America. In that respect, the US and UK also deserve honorable mention compared to the more pristine parts of Germanic Europe.

I prefer the challenges of seeking personal order in a semi-chaotic enviroment to having it "guaranteed" in an overly stiff one; what would be the point of living?

A bit further afield, Greece is even better, except when they start fire-bombing buildings and wind up killing innocents (I felt terrible reading about the pregnant woman killed about a year ago). Perhaps even Lebanon would be number one - great entrepreneurial people, great culture, great climate, great food - if it weren't in the midst of such a volatile and violent region.

One's man view anyway.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 03-02-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 03:55 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
I voted germanic, but truly I prefer the Western parts of Slavic Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia).

Old 03-02-2012, 04:00 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Germanic all the way!

I am a tad biased though. What about Celtic Europe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe