Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:35 AM

327 posts, read 645,511 times

Advertisements

So I'm spending around 3 weeks in Europe this May/June and I'm looking for ideas on stuff to do. I'll be in Barcelona for a week for a music festival then I am looking for stuff to do/places to go for the remaning two weeks.

I'd probably be flying to wherever I am going unless I decide to get a Eurail pass.

I was thinking of hitting Paris then Amsterdam after Spain, spending roughly a week in each but I'm open to suggestions on alternate destinations. I was thinking of hitting up Finland and Norway as alternate destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:54 AM

10,664 posts, read 16,091,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
So I'm spending around 3 weeks in Europe this May/June and I'm looking for ideas on stuff to do. I'll be in Barcelona for a week for a music festival then I am looking for stuff to do/places to go for the remaning two weeks.

I'd probably be flying to wherever I am going unless I decide to get a Eurail pass.

I was thinking of hitting Paris then Amsterdam after Spain, spending roughly a week in each but I'm open to suggestions on alternate destinations. I was thinking of hitting up Finland and Norway as alternate destinations.
Have you been to Europe before? What's your budget?

Barcelona (8 days), fly to Paris (10 days), take train to Amsterdam (4 days)

Barcelona (6 days), fly to Paris (8 days), take train to London (8 days)

Barcelona-Madrid-Seville/Lisboa
Barcelona-Valencia-Madrid
Barcelona-Monaco-Milan
Barcelona-Milan-Florence
Barcelona-Rome-Florence

Last edited by Davy-040; 04-04-2012 at 02:04 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 AM

I've been to Spain before(Ibiza last year and was recently in Barcelona) and I've also been to the Netherlands, Germany and Austria.

My budget isn't a big deal. I usually stay in hostels and travel by cheap airlines but for the sake of conversation lets just say $2k-ish, not including airfare to get to Spain.

I'm not spending 10 days in Paris. I could never imagine spending 10 days in one city.

I'd like to stay around Western/Central Europe since I can cheaply fly around.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 AM

10,664 posts, read 16,091,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
I'm not spending 10 days in Paris. I could never imagine spending 10 days in one city.
You can never really love/respect/understand a city in short periods.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 AM

202 posts, read 569,135 times
Budke

2.000 dollars are roughly 1.500€, not much for three weeks here if you plan to move around a lot. Really, you would have to live like a hermit and sleep in hostels. Not very pleasant.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:09 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,164,537 times
Is the Festival Sonar? If so you'll have a great time, i went last year.

I've travelled around Europe a lot and to get the most for your € i'd suggest staying clear of Norway, Sweden and Finland. Great places but not cheap.

Further north than Denmark starts to get pretty expensive with Sweden and Finland being the worst of them although Lithuania and Latvia are good destinations with reasonable prices. London is getting expensive with the Olympics in a few months, prices have already started the slow summer increase.
I suppose if i was you i'd go Spain, Holland, Denmark and maybe then Lithuania. Flights to Lithuania are fairly cheap usually and could be worth a few days if you get the chance.

Hope i've helped.

Jalalabad is an interesting place to be by the way, i was recently in Babaji. Stay safe.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:12 AM

326 posts, read 1,043,794 times
If you're budgeting on about 1,500€ then I'd avoid expensive places like Paris, Switzerland, Scandinavia, the UK/Ireland - unless you want to sleep in hostels and have to watch every euro! They'll always be there - save it for when you've got more cash.

If you like Spain I'd visit countries like Portugal and Croatia, which are gorgeous in June and very affordable.

Here's what I'd do:
Train it from Barcelona - San Sebastian/Bilbao - Vigo - Porto - Lisbon. Then get a cheap flight (Look on Skyscanner.net) from Lisbon to somewhere like Venice in Italy and work your way down the Croatian coast. If you're feeling adventurous you could visit Bosnia and Montenegro also, which are amazing, very cheap, and among my favourite holiday destinations. You could then fly back to the US from somwhere like Athens, or Rome (if you took the ferry across the Adriatic back to Italy).

With a route like this you can live well on your budget, have great weather, food, beaches, and see amazing historical towns with far less tourists than Florence etc.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buahh View Post
Budke

2.000 dollars are roughly 1.500€, not much for three weeks here if you plan to move around a lot. Really, you would have to live like a hermit and sleep in hostels. Not very pleasant.
I do sleep in hostels and I love it. As a 23 yeard old who travels alone it's great for meeting people. I've traveled and enjoyed myself on a lot less.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Is the Festival Sonar? If so you'll have a great time, i went last year.

I've travelled around Europe a lot and to get the most for your € i'd suggest staying clear of Norway, Sweden and Finland. Great places but not cheap.

Further north than Denmark starts to get pretty expensive with Sweden and Finland being the worst of them although Lithuania and Latvia are good destinations with reasonable prices. London is getting expensive with the Olympics in a few months, prices have already started the slow summer increase.
I suppose if i was you i'd go Spain, Holland, Denmark and maybe then Lithuania. Flights to Lithuania are fairly cheap usually and could be worth a few days if you get the chance.

Hope i've helped.

Jalalabad is an interesting place to be by the way, i was recently in Babaji. Stay safe.
No, I will be going to the San Miguel Primavera Sound. Excited I'm finally getting to see Refused live.

I'd like to check out Denmark. It seems like a fun place.

When I said my budget is $2k, I was really meant that that was what I was planning on spending. I never really go anywhere with a budget set, I just try to not spend a lot of money.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,872,401 times
I am not the richest man and even when I go on a "lads holiday" to Benidorm to a cheap hotel I need about a grand never mind travelling across Europe, that will be a tight budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe