Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 AM

116 posts, read 267,470 times

Advertisements

Dirty? No.
Gloomy? In large parts of the country, definitely yes.
It's the weather. E.g., in 2004, the two cities of the EU that had the most rainy days were Halle and Cologne in Germany. See the following (German) link to a summary of results compiled by www.urbanaudit.org. I can't link directly to the study results themselves. You can only access them using a search form.

EU-Studie: Halle ist die regnerischste Stadt Europas - SPIEGEL ONLINE

If you check further, you'll see that 4 of the top 10 rainiest EU cities (days of rainfall) with a population greater than 500,000 in 2004 were in Germany (Cologne, Essen, Dortmund and Duesseldorf). Just my neck of the woods, too

Last edited by NomineMalum; 07-27-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 08:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
GET THEE TO BAVARIA! Much more sun there!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not enough to make up for all the hours of sunshine I've missed up here. I think I'm heading back to North America (Canada or the US), as soon as I get everything wrapped up here. I want to live someplace wiith at least 2000 hours of sunshine a year again. I was once thinking of maybe moving (and retiring) to someplace on the Mediterranean. But considering this damned Euro crisis, I don't know if that's a good idea anymore.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:00 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,248,267 times
I lived in Kaiserslautern for 3 years and I thought it was beautiful and very clean/safe. Same with Frankfurt, although I didn't explore every square inch of Frankfurt. I was actually turned off by how ugly/cluttered with billboards/dirty U.S. cities looked to me after living in Germany for so long.

Now the weather... that was my only complaint! It could be quite dreary in Germany (or any of central/norther Europe). But the summers I spent there were mostly sunny and warm to hot from June through September.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Depends on where in Bavaria you live.
My neck of the woods, not so very much.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Depends on where in Bavaria you live.
My neck of the woods, not so very much.
I'm guessing, somewhere in Franken. Right?

Last edited by NomineMalum; 07-29-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,321,642 times
Quote:
The yahoo that started this thread is not representative of most Americans, in my opinion.
Thank you for that KathrynAragon and that is absolutely spot on as most Americans who are in the least bit experienced in domestic as well as international travel have the mindset of "when in Rome..." Well said!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Wow.

I lived in Germany for three years, and have gone back several times to visit since I moved back to the States. In fact, my last visit was just last summer. I don't know what you did wrong on your trip but it sounds like some very poor planning by you or whoever organized the trip. You are truly the first person I've ever heard describe Germany as gloomy, depressing and dirty (though I have heard some people say they thought the German people were rude - which was not my experience).

First of all, Frankfurt is not a typical German city. For starters, it was leveled in WW2 so it's all urban sprawl now, unlike many other beautiful German cities like Wurzburg, Nurnberg, Heidleburg, etc.

Berlin is fascinating - not sure how much time you spent there, but there is SO much history there, and so many interesting things to do, I can't imagine someone being bored or irritated by being there.

Munich is also interesting - but even more so, the countryside immediately surrounding Munich is even better. MY gosh, you are in the Alps - what's not to love?

That being said, if all you saw of Germany was big urban centers, then you really didn't see Germany at all. The glory of that beautiful country is in the countryside and the small villages, which are truly pristine and so clean and picture perfect that they almost feel like a movie set!

Nurnberg 2011:

Mespelbrunn 2011:

Aschaffenburg (30 minutes east of Frankfurt) 2011:

Berchtesgaden 2011 (near Munich):

Freiburg Wine Festival 2011:

Vender in lower Bavaria at the Zugspitze:

Hitler's Eagles Nest:

Garmisch, 2011:

Oh, the filth! Oh, the grime and the gloominess!
No one has been saying that Bavaria is grimy and gloomy. To the contrary; since the beginning of the thread, they've been saying it's delightful. It's parts of the center and north that are grimy and gloomy. Thanks for the beautiful photos.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:02 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomineMalum View Post
I'm guessing, somewhere in Franken. Right?
Nope.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No one has been saying that Bavaria is grimy and gloomy. To the contrary; since the beginning of the thread, they've been saying it's delightful. It's parts of the center and north that are grimy and gloomy. Thanks for the beautiful photos.
Not grimy, just drab and gloomy...most of the time. And it usually takes more than three years living here, before you fully "appreciate" how much so. As long as everything is new and exciting, you don't tend to notice as much. Here's a photo of what it looked like in my part of Germany on almost every day of the first 7 weeks of this "summer":
Why are German cities so depressing?-wolken1.jpg
That picture was taken facing due south on July 1 of this year, in the early afternoon. I tried taking one facing north, but it was so dark that my flash kept going off. And no, that was not taken just prior to a storm. It really was like that for almost all of seven weeks. Since then, it has gotten a little better. We actially had 5 consecutive days of nice weather and they're actually forecasting that we might get a whole week more before this summer ends...

Last edited by NomineMalum; 07-30-2012 at 04:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe