Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
In what kind of situations they smile then? I would find smiling people friendly in general.
They do smile if they want to be friendly, but they don't necessarily smile at every stranger they encounter, neither do they ask everyone how they are doing unless they are truly interested in hearing an honest response. I don't consider smiling (or artificially happy) people friendly in general, sometimes they can be very annoying, especially if you can tell that it's not honest. It all depends on your background I guess.

Quote:
Do you remember who said "I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance"?

If we should not make comments on something that we don't know much, then we can not make comments at all. Because we don't know much about anything.
Very philosophical, but you're missing the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Mehhh Big citys are big citys all are dirty and depressing in some ways/parts. Berlin- Vibrent, happening city not much to look at. Frankfurt Banks n stuff not nomaly a tourist destination. Munchen probably the nicest German big city I never found it dirty or depressing. Get around the country and have a look.

Plenty of depressing citys everywhere.
Planning a trip to Berlin and Wittenburg next year. I happen to think that all of the best big cities of the world are a bit dark, dirty and depressing.

The great cities of Germany are not Disneyworld. The are loaded with a vibrant culture and a rich and sometimes dark, history.

You want HAPPY HAPPY FUN FUN? Go to Orlando FL. No culture there, but the place is bright and clean as hell.

Last edited by sheena12; 05-02-2012 at 11:12 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Its pretty obvious that no one agreed with OP ridiculous statement. Nine pages long - what a waste of time...

Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 AM

183 posts, read 601,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Planning a trip to Berlin and Wittenburg next year. I happen to think that all of the best big cities of the world are a bit dark, dirty and depressing.

The great cities of Germany are not Disneyworld. The are loaded with a vibrant culture and a rich and sometimes dark, history.

You want HAPPY HAPPY FUN FUN? Go to Orlando FL. No culture there, but the place is bright and clean as hell.
Orlando isn't "clean" unless you're just considering the theme parks. Its downtown is just like any other American city, the vast roadways look dirty, trash on the side of the roads. The strip malls, aside from those built within the past 5-10 years that are still happening, look dirty or they're abandoned and decaying.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:01 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I've not been to Germany but I expect most German cities to be clean and modern, maybe some are a bit grey and 'depressing', but I wouldn't expect them to be rundown the way a city like Detroit is.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,173 times
There are cities like that in the former RDA.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
Driving videos always looks better when you speed the film up and add cool techno music. Plus, there is a reason this was shot at the early dawn hours...

Having the experiance of living in both Japan and Germany for several years, I'll take driving in Germany over Japan any day.
What's wrong with taking 4 hours to go 75 km in mainland?
It once took me over 2 hours to drive from Seoul to Osan - about 40 km.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Do you remember who said "I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance"?

If we should not make comments on something that we don't know much, then we can not make comments at all. Because we don't know much about anything.
What the heck are you talking about?
Perhaps, by your own words, you should not make comments.
Apparently you don't know much about anything.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
It can't be any more disgusting than NYC, because NYC is a freaking garbage dump.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
To get back on topic: I am stunned anyone would say German cities are depressing or dirty. I'm just incredulous that this comes from an American.

Munich (to me) is the greatest city in the world, and I am exceptionally well-travelled. It is the antithesis of "dirty." Where did you go, just hang around the Bahnhof area and leave? Did you see Nymphenburg, Bogenhausen? The Fußgängerzone?

If you want so see dirty cities, go to Istanbul, Cairo or even Paris, which is far dirtier than Munich.

I'm not a fan of Berlin and I agree, it has a graffiti problem, but so do Rome and many other great cities.

Finally, have you ever considered that all German cities are safe?? I have walked around Munich in the middle of the night and never felt the slightest trepidation. Try that in any large city in America. I wouldn't want to be walking around NYC or LA at 3:00 in the morning.

Last edited by Ulysses61; 05-03-2012 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe