Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,188,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
We know this, but North America is the same, a large continent but we don't call you North Americans. I've never heard that in my life. If someone calls me European I tell them I'm Scottish and British.

OMG this is getting crazy. I thought it was clear - especially after I clarified it again - that my comment about the usage of the term "American" was tongue in cheek.

MY POINT is that yes - we're Americans. We're also US citizens. We're also Texans, and Virginians, and Californians, etc. We're also southerners, midwesterners, and damn yankees. To name just a few regional differences. These regions vary GREATLY by the way.

Of course Americans know that Europeans are citizens of individual countries. But for those countries who are part of the EU, those citizens are also citizens of the EU. They are, in fact (gasp) EUROPEANS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,124,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Are you sure
Behave

Old 08-02-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
It's not that it bothers me, if the tables are turned it could be said that Americans, Canadians are North American but that term is used very seldom and quite incorrect. It is just not something that we hear here or being classed as Europeans, its always mostly an American thing to group us all together I guess. I suppose we all use our nationality here rather than the term European.
Europeans generalize about Americans all the time. A Texan differs greatly from, say, a New Yorker or a person from Seattle.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:26 AM

Europeans?? Hmm depends on the country and that is quite a sweeping statement

Plenty of people know about US states and the people within them. Of course if you've been to that particular place it always helps i.e i've been to Texas and all through the South up through the Eastern seaboard.

Europe isn't as insular.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Europeans?? Hmm depends on the country.

Plenty of people know about US states and the people within them. Of course if you've been that particular place it always helps i.e i've been to Texas and all through the South up through the Eastern seaboard.

Europe isn't as insular so I would say "WE" don't generalize as much as many US citizens.
So you don't think that GENERALLY SPEAKING - Europeans make a lot of generalized statements and assumptions about Americans in general?

I would venture to say that in general, Europeans are just as prone to make generalized assumptions and statements about Americans in general, as Americans are prone to make generalized statements and assumptions about Europeans in general.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I would venture to say that in general, Europeans are just as prone to make generalized assumptions and statements about Americans in general, as Americans are prone to make generalized statements and assumptions about Europeans in general.
So why didn't you say that then in the first place?

I've met a lot of people and generally the majority of "Europeans" I know or have known are/were well traveled, sophistication people (Spaniards, French, British, Italian and German). The average American has never been outside their own state (barely) let alone to another country. I believe only 30% hold a passport. It's very rare to see that in the UK especially where everyone at least once a year ventures to a foreign country. Not so sure now with the current economic climate but generally people went "on holiday" I honestly believe you see things in a different light/perspective and I know you will when you visit the UK, in a positive manner.

Only stats I could find

Quote:
Europe is the most popular destination for UK residents, accounting for 80 per cent of visits abroad. Spain has been the most popular country to visit since 1994, with 13.8 million visits in 2009. France was second in popularity, with 11.1 million visits.

The number of visits by UK residents to the USA increased by 2 per cent in 2005 to 4.2 million, 6 per cent higher than the number in 2010.

The number of visits abroad made by UK residents has more than tripled since 1985, to a record 66.4 million visits in 2009.

Holiday trips abroad

1971 - 6.7 million

2008 - 66.4 million

Two-thirds of these visits abroad are holidays with about half (47 per cent) package holidays.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
OMG this is getting crazy. I thought it was clear - especially after I clarified it again - that my comment about the usage of the term "American" was tongue in cheek.

MY POINT is that yes - we're Americans. We're also US citizens. We're also Texans, and Virginians, and Californians, etc. We're also southerners, midwesterners, and damn yankees. To name just a few regional differences. These regions vary GREATLY by the way.

Of course Americans know that Europeans are citizens of individual countries. But for those countries who are part of the EU, those citizens are also citizens of the EU. They are, in fact (gasp) EUROPEANS.
I think you need to come to Spain and relax by the pool

With some sangria down ye, ye will be right as rain!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Only stats I could find
I can give you more stats. But first, let me break this down for you:

Quote:
I've met a lot of people and generally the majority of "Europeans" I know or have known are/were well traveled, sophistication people (Spaniards, French, British, Italian and German).
I've met a lot of people too and GENERALLY SPEAKING I like Europeans and find many of them to be well traveled. Which is, of course, pretty easy to accomplish when you can drive six hours and visit four countries, as we did last year on our regular European vacation.

Quote:
The average American has never been outside their own state (barely) let alone to another country.
Do you have a source for this claim? I have met very few Americans who haven't been "out of their own state." Most Americans I know have been to several foreign countries.

That being said, international travel ISN'T as common for Americans as it is for Europeans, because our nation itself is so large. Let me put this in perspective for you. It takes longer for me to drive to the beach in South Padre Texas - in the same state I live in - than it does for me to drive through four states to get to Gulf Shores, Alabama. In other words, South Padre is a ten hour drive and Gulf Shores is "only" 9 hours away. It would take DAYS to drive across the US! I live in a state with a coastline and I would still have to drive five hours to see ANY beach!

"64% of Americans vacationed in 2005, only 19% of them said they traveled outside the United States. 36% of those who made over $75,000 a year traveled overseas. Of Americans below that salary level, the number drops drastically to just 7-17% depending on income."

From the same excellent article:
Americans and International Travel

There are a number of reasons that Americans don’t travel internationally as often as domestically. Firstly, the number of days off provided to employees are low. Americans had on average 13 days of vacation time a year. Britons got 26 days and the French got 38 days. The small amount of time given to workers is prohibitive to international travel. The long amount of time it takes to arrive or come back from another country is daunting. This makes more modest domestic travel more appealing.

Another reason Americans don’t travel overseas is because of their jobs. The workplace is extremely competitive and America has a very flexible labor force. Anyone can lose their job at any minute and everyone knows this. You can see this competitiveness in American vacations. For Americans, many days on vacation include time spent for work email and catching up with other work related materials.

Because of that, Americans take shorter vacations. Shorter than even the 13 days allotted to them each year. In 2009, Americans “gave back” 436 million days of vacation. In order to make up the time lost for shorter vacations, they travel closer to home.

The reason more wealthy people travel overseas is because they aren’t afraid of losing their jobs. Americans making over $75,000 a year are going to be business owners, self-employed or highly paid professionals that cannot easily be replaced. They have more freedom to travel abroad because there is less of a motivation to stay home.

The Myth That Americans Don’t Travel

About 4 percent of Americans travel to Europe each year. Conversely, about 2 percent of Europeans travel to the US each year.

Just sayin'.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I think you need to come to Spain and relax by the pool

With some sangria down ye, ye will be right as rain!
Sounds nice! But let me get my UK trip under my belt first!

But - I am a very relaxed person already. My idea of a great UK vacation is sitting around each evening in a little village pub!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:05 PM

6,472 posts, read 8,215,123 times
Quote:
I can give you more stats. But first, let me break this down for you:

I've met a lot of people too and GENERALLY SPEAKING I like Europeans and find many of them to be well traveled. Which is, of course, pretty easy to accomplish when you can drive six hours and visit four countries, as we did last year on our regular European vacation.
That depends where you live in Europe. If I drive for six hours I will reach Denmark. Berlin is 13 hours from me by car, Paris over 18 hours, Barcelona 27 hours.

Actually, the Norwegian cities Oslo and Tromsø are over 21 hours apart by car.

Traveling overseas is quite common in Norway. Three of my colleagues have spent their summer vacation in Florida and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe