Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 06:01 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,121,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
If distinct national entities in Europe would like to recognized as such, then perhaps they should reverse their decisions to join the European Union, where "one Europe" is the fundamental objective. You're the ones who are pursuing common political traditions at the slow expense of national identities; therefore, it's quite inevitable that Europe will come before, say, the United Kingdom in the minds of most outsiders.
Perhaps it is because your in the USA, where everything is "Europe" this, "Europe" that, no one actually bothers to define the country. The E.U has nothing to do with it, it´s just laziness or ignorance on their part really. The American news annoyed me because they would never mention which country they were actually covering, which is completely different in any other nation.
For example with our international news we actually make the effort to say "The USA" or "Canada" you get the gist of it. We don´t lump every country in North and South America into the Americas when presenting, that would just be stupid to broadcast news like that.
Thats just it, Europe is nothing more than a continent but in the states no one ever mentions the specific country, just to make things so much easier or because its too difficult for some people. Whereas in "Europe" you don´t hear us saying The Americas or "North America" You all consider yourselves Americans, it´s on your passport right? not "North Americans" why? Because it is not a nationality just like European isn´t.

The USA is the only country i´ve been to and lived in that described me as a "European" or my country yes country as "Yurop" when 1) it is not a nationality....I am Scottish/British, 2) born in Scotland/Britain.

When you live in a place like that it can get very annoying when you have to constantly remind people.

Good evening.

Last edited by Scotslass; 08-01-2012 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,943,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Perhaps it is because your in the USA, where everything is "Europe" this, "Europe" that, no one actually bothers to define the country. The E.U has nothing to do with it, it´s just laziness or ignorance.
The EU most absolutely is a huge part of it, Scotsglass. EU member-states have long been on the verge of being no more or less sovereign and distinct than, say, New Jersey is in its (supposedly) irreversable membership in the American Federal system. In fact, I have met several Europeans who don't object to the "European" demonym; however, still, there have been others, I suppose like you, who may feel a greater sense of citizenship/nationality to their home country vs. the EU (which has, of course, been problematic for business-as-usual in the European Parliament).

I have no idea what your feelings are regarding EU membership, but if there are enough of you who resent the "European" labeling, then I suppose it's time for some serious political re-evaluation over there.

Quote:
Thats just it, Europe is nothing more than a continent but in the states no one ever mentions the specific country, just to make things so much easier or because its too difficult for some people. Whereas in "Europe" you don´t hear us saying The Americas or "North America" You all consider yourselves Americans not "North Americans" why? Because it is not a nationality just like European isn´t.
Again, "Europe" is not merely a continent (think Jose Barroso or Martin Schulz) in terms of its political behavior. This is, perhaps, because "Europe" IS a political entity in every sense of such terminology and increasingly behaves in the same manner of a single state--I think it's time to accept that, Scotsglass.

And as of yet, there is nothing uniting North American countries to the same extent that the EU unites its member-states. While I don't discard (yet would adamantly reject) the possibility of North American unionization, it simply isn't relevant to the same extent that European unionization is.

Quote:
The USA is the only country i´ve been to and lived in that described me as a "European" or my country yes country as "Yurop" when 1) it is not a nationality....I am Scottish, 2) born in Scotland
I personally would have no reservations about referring to you as a "European" if ever I met you, and I don't think that I'd be incorrect in doing so. Sorry.

Anyway, I think we're supposed to be talking about ancestry. Perhaps a new thread for the topic of "Europeans aren't Europeans" is necessary?

Last edited by Montguy; 08-01-2012 at 07:02 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,858,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
I was a witness of two race riots in Miami in 1979 and 1980, more than 20 killed. My neighbour, a very old man driving an old Impala, was taken out of his car and kicked to death. A trucker from Ft. Lauderdale was taken out of his truck and quartered, his tonge was cut off.

It was a race riot, I saw it......but now, according to modern day media and modern textbooks you read things like that:

"A couple or three of hundred angry youngsters coming from broken families and disadvantaged communities committed acts of vandalism (20 to 30 killings) because they were frustrated and angry at society at large".

Sure, London was a race riot, yes a few white punks took advantege, but it was a race riot as many others in the past.

We had race riots here in Spain, the last one 400 years ago in the mainland and some minor ones in Spanish cities in Africa, hope we won't see them again.
The riots happened in Liverpool, Nottingham etc also, and they were mostly white, weren't race riots

Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,137,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I wouldn't argue about it at any border crossing, because all what border guard is interested in, is basically what country/government is responsible for you,
Right, because that's the definition of nationality. That's what it means. You can't make up your own definition because it suits you.

Quote:
but that doesn't make an Arab more "French" in the eyes of the French even what the Arab lives in France for many years.
Well, "arab" isn't a nationality. It's arguable whether it's even an ethnic group. And yes, that Arab guy isn't ethnically French. He's an ethnic Arab. That doesn't stop his nationality from being French if he is indeed a French citizen.

This is europe's problem - when the demonym for a country is the same as the main/indigenous ethnic group of that country. Maybe it's time to think of some alternative demonyms that are more inclusive - or at least start calling ethnic French people something else. "French" is kind of a misnomer anyway. Everybody but the french seem to know that the Republican Gov't did its best to stamp out Catalan, Occitan, Breton, etc. So how about Nationalité: Française. Ethnicité: Occitan or
Nationalité: Française. Ethnicité: Anglaise?

Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,137,469 times
Quote:
Perhaps it is because your in the USA, where everything is "Europe" this, "Europe" that, no one actually bothers to define the country. The E.U has nothing to do with it, it´s just laziness or ignorance on their part really. The American news annoyed me because they would never mention which country they were actually covering, which is completely different in any other nation.
What news was this? Maybe when people are talking politics or economics they might refer to "europe" as in the ECB or ECC way of doing things but I've never heard any news item like, "There was a terrorist attack in Europe today". That's utterly ridiculous. Now that I think back on it, the news reports rarely mentioned the country because everyone knows that Madrid is in Spain.

Quote:
For example with our international news we actually make the effort to say "The USA" or "Canada" you get the gist of it. We don´t lump every country in North and South America into the Americas when presenting, that would just be stupid to broadcast news like that.
Well, the apt comparison would be to mention the American state you're referring to. Saying "North America" or "South America" would be like saying "europe" or "africa". Saying France or Spain would be like saying California or Texas.

And while some Canadians take offense at being called "American" and are very quick to say North American. I don't really see it as any different than saying "european". English speaking Canadians have a shared cultural heritage with the US. Where else in the world would I be able to go to a Phillies game with some guy behind me screaming, "hey Howard, swing carefully, eh. That's the most expensive bat in the league!"

Quote:
The USA is the only country i´ve been to and lived in that described me as a "European" or my country yes country as "Yurop" when 1) it is not a nationality....I am Scottish/British, 2) born in Scotland/Britain.

When you live in a place like that it can get very annoying when you have to constantly remind people.

Good evening.
Maybe you have an old passport - but almost all of them these days say "European Union" on top and at least for the next little while none of them say "Scotland".

My passport says "United States" but my birth certificate makes absolutely no reference to a country. It says I was born in New Jersey. My driver's license says Pennsylvania and makes zero reference to the USA. My marriage license is from the City of Philadelphia, makes no mention of the USA and references the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

I don't complain when people call me an American - I only get annoyed when they confuse my cultural sensibilities with those of another part of the country.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:57 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,943,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Maybe you have an old passport - but almost all of them these days say "European Union" on top and at least for the next little while none of them say "Scotland".

My passport says "United States" but my birth certificate makes absolutely no reference to a country. It says I was born in New Jersey. My driver's license says Pennsylvania and makes zero reference to the USA. My marriage license is from the City of Philadelphia, makes no mention of the USA and references the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

I don't complain when people call me an American - I only get annoyed when they confuse my cultural sensibilities with those of another part of the country.
Thank you for opening up the EU citizenship angle of this. It's a very important fact to consider for someone who finds themselves in utter denial that they should be called "European" in virtually any context.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:14 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,158,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
I was a witness of two race riots in Miami in 1979 and 1980, more than 20 killed. My neighbour, a very old man driving an old Impala, was taken out of his car and kicked to death. A trucker from Ft. Lauderdale was taken out of his truck and quartered, his tonge was cut off.

It was a race riot, I saw it......but now, according to modern day media and modern textbooks you read things like that:

"A couple or three of hundred angry youngsters coming from broken families and disadvantaged communities committed acts of vandalism (20 to 30 killings) because they were frustrated and angry at society at large".

Sure, London was a race riot, yes a few white punks took advantege, but it was a race riot as many others in the past.

We had race riots here in Spain, the last one 400 years ago in the mainland and some minor ones in Spanish cities in Africa, hope we won't see them again.
London was not a race riot, it was born of dissatisfaction.

Reading the Riots | UK news | The Guardian

From the above article:

Data journalism reading the riots: what we know. And what we don't | News | guardian.co.uk
Rioters say anger with police fuelled summer unrest | UK news | The Guardian
Riots broken down: who was in court and what's happened to them? | News | guardian.co.uk
England riots: was poverty a factor? | News | guardian.co.uk
Rioter profile: 'The law was obeying us' | UK news | guardian.co.uk

(I am aware that this is adding to the thread being taken off topic and i apologise but i feel a responce to this statement is appropriate. Thank you.)

Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,905,995 times
It is nothing to do with the EU. Americans have always called us Europe. I hate if when the Americans call us Europeans, ok we are from the continent of Europe but we do have our own cultures. Going to Italy or France is just like going to any other foreign country. And I will have you just because they are in the EU dosn't mean they have same laws as us because they don't. They drive on different side of road, different currency etc. They are quite different and no offence to mainland europeans but I feel much closer culturally to americans than them.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,905,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
What news was this? Maybe when people are talking politics or economics they might refer to "europe" as in the ECB or ECC way of doing things but I've never heard any news item like, "There was a terrorist attack in Europe today". That's utterly ridiculous. Now that I think back on it, the news reports rarely mentioned the country because everyone knows that Madrid is in Spain.

Well, the apt comparison would be to mention the American state you're referring to. Saying "North America" or "South America" would be like saying "europe" or "africa". Saying France or Spain would be like saying California or Texas.

And while some Canadians take offense at being called "American" and are very quick to say North American. I don't really see it as any different than saying "european". English speaking Canadians have a shared cultural heritage with the US. Where else in the world would I be able to go to a Phillies game with some guy behind me screaming, "hey Howard, swing carefully, eh. That's the most expensive bat in the league!"

It really wouldn't be because California is a state and France is a country. I have nothing against the french but please don't say that we are in the same country as them as we aren't. They are foreigners. Nevermind being foreigners I don't even live on the same landmass as France.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:08 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,121,322 times
Many Americans again are missing the point. European is NOT a rationality I have a British passport.. Just like Americans have an American passport. The United States of America is a country within North America so let's use some common sense now shall we, we dont call them North American - because it is NOT a nationality. Same applies for Europe.

FYI Scotland is in the UK and yes my passport says the E.U but if you look at my nationality it's British
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe