Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:24 PM

7,858 posts, read 10,309,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
I agree with the religion bit. Germany and Switzerland have both the same share of Protestants and Catholics.

But Bavaria as part of Germany is already on the list.
they may have an equal number of catholics but both countries are protestant in charechter and culture in the way italy , spain or ireland are not

i dont believe in god but since religon is man made , its silly to deny how various forms of this man made phenomenon have shaped cultures and society , europe is a post religous continent and seems to want to ignore the religous roots of the place

Old 08-21-2012, 04:25 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,778,657 times
SELECT [COUNTRIES] WHERE "beer" && "protestantism" && "german" && "reserved"

Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,643,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I bet cold beer doesn't go down well in that kind of weather?

( I have no idea what "moonshine" is)))
PS. Oh god, I've discovered what "moonshine" is; I thought nobody but Russians drink that stuff ( well I've heard about chacha in Georgia and grappa in Italy, but that's kinda fruity stuff I think...)

But boy was I wrong...

Moonshine by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS. PS. Another thing I've noticed is that all Balkan countries - Bulgaria, Serbia and Greece identify this drink with the same word.
(And they all make it out of fruits I think.)

Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,634,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

ireland are not remotley germanic
Why not? Because it's Catholic?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Trimac, you listed Finland in two different places, and it shouldn't be on there at all. The Finns aren't at all Germanic.

Most Germanic? Iceland, probably--closest to their Germanic roots.

Why did you list the French? The Franks were Germanic, but the French aren't all that reserved, and characteristically are more into wine than beer.

The English seem pretty Germanic to me, and many Americans do, too. How about Aussies and New Zealanders?

Poland? Slavs are automatically disqualified from Germanic status; they're too warm, generally non-Protestant. No way they're Germanic, whether or not they have any Germanic heritage (Vikings in Russia/Ukraine, like erasure said, Ostrogoths in Bulgaria).

Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,553,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Most Germanic:

Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands

Medium Germanic:

Scotland, England, Wales, Germany, Austria, Finland

A little Germanic:

Ireland, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Finland, Poland, Estonia

Would you generally agree with my ranking?
Uh, so the Germans in Germany and the Austrians, only rank as "medium Germanic"--at the same level as the Welsh and the Finns--neither of whom are really Germanic in culture or roots for the most part. And the Swiss Germans are apparently only "a little Germanic" at the same level at the Irish, Poles, and Estonians. I would've thought one of the hallmarks of Germanic culture, might actually be speaking a Germanic language--or speaking, well, German.

Okie dokie!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,553,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Features of being Germanic:

1. A Germanic or largely Germanic-derived language

2. Having some Norse genetic and cultural roots

3. A love of beer

4. Being somewhat reserved in character

5. Being generally Protestant

A little Germanic:

Ireland, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Finland, Poland, Estonia
Are you only including the Irish, Poles, and Czechs for their love of beer? If love of beer alone makes one "a little Germanic" then call me "Germanic" as well.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:29 AM

985 posts, read 1,857,169 times
Quote:
they may have an equal number of catholics but both countries are protestant in charechter and culture in the way italy , spain or ireland are not

i dont believe in god but since religon is man made , its silly to deny how various forms of this man made phenomenon have shaped cultures and society , europe is a post religous continent and seems to want to ignore the religous roots of the place
Only if you reduce Germany to the 19th and beginning of 20th century when Prussia was the leading force and oppressed catholicism. And not in the way mediterranean countries, where romance languages are spoken, are almost completely catholic (or Ireland). Germany has been mixed since the reformation, and until today there are protestant villages next to catholic ones, depending on whose religion the former ruler adhered to. Maybe Germany looks protestant to you, and maybe the Germanic language also contributes to this view. In the catholic half where I grew up it is not.

I completely agree with your second paragraph though.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,915,739 times
Quote:

Ireland is closer culturally to germany than spain. Don't bring up the celts. Because this is the 21st century and we speak english a germanic language.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,915,739 times
Quote:
you can be athiest and culturally protestant , im athiest but culturally catholic , you cant change what you are
And you claim that the people in the south aren't bigoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe