Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 06:31 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times

Advertisements

Brown hair and brown eyes are more common in southern England, while the blonde hair blue eyes combination is more common in the north and Scotland/NI.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Always though Daniel Craig could pass for Russian. Not sure if he has any Eastern European ancestry. He looks a bit like Putin's type.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Brown hair and brown eyes are more common in southern England, while the blonde hair blue eyes combination is more common in the north and Scotland/NI.
I'd say about 50% of Britons have 'light eyes' (excepting immigrants from elsewhere, of course) which include blue, grey, green. Dark eyes would include all shades of brown and probably hazel too.

The percentage ranges from less than 25% in south Wales to probably 75% or so in the Shetland and Orkney islands.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 PM

599 posts, read 2,592,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yup there are significant regional differences:

Lighthaired class from lower Normandy

Darkhaired class from Roussillon

Though in my experience the average northern French crowd looks distinctly more southern than its British counterpart.
It only holds true when you comparethe average crowd of northern french with northeast english and southeast scots.

Compared to welsh, southern/western english and western scots I really doubt it. Also depends how you define northern france, nord pas calais might be the ligthest imo.

Its interesting how in most european countries (at least the continental european ones) the lightest populations are in the northern top of the countries, for example flemish french in france, frisians in both netherlands and germany, sud-tyroleans in italy, galicians and asturias in spain, flemish people in belgium, German speaking area in switzerland, karelians in russia, etc.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:59 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
I am sorry but I really don't understand this thread at all! There is NO distinct 'British' look!! Britain is an island that has had so much immigration through the years. I would say that 'most' people where I live (SE UK) have dark hair and brown eyes but by no means not all. You should see the difference in 'looks' just in my own family!!! Like MOST Brits we are a 'mix', My fathers side of the family is Scottish, there is Spanish in my family - my daughters have English, Scottish, Welsh, African, Spanish ancestry, they are brown skinned with dark brown eyes, I have fairly fair skin but dark hair and a sort of grey / green eyes, my cousins are black haired, brown eyed and olive skinned (the Spanish influence I guess) and I have an uncle and an aunt that are red heads!! The point I am making is that in NONE of the photographs posted is there anyone that does NOT look like they could be English and the same can be said about eye size / shape!! I am also guessing the same can be said of France, Belgium, Scotland, Netherlands etc.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I am sorry but I really don't understand this thread at all! There is NO distinct 'British' look!! Britain is an island that has had so much immigration through the years. I would say that 'most' people where I live (SE UK) have dark hair and brown eyes but by no means not all. You should see the difference in 'looks' just in my own family!!! Like MOST Brits we are a 'mix', My fathers side of the family is Scottish, there is Spanish in my family - my daughters have English, Scottish, Welsh, African, Spanish ancestry, they are brown skinned with dark brown eyes, I have fairly fair skin but dark hair and a sort of grey / green eyes, my cousins are black haired, brown eyed and olive skinned (the Spanish influence I guess) and I have an uncle and an aunt that are red heads!! The point I am making is that in NONE of the photographs posted is there anyone that does NOT look like they could be English and the same can be said about eye size / shape!! I am also guessing the same can be said of France, Belgium, Scotland, Netherlands etc.
Colin mcrae looks nothing but british, He would definitely not pass for local in netherlands, not even in france or belgium. I dont see how it could be ever possible for guys like mika hakkinen or alessandro del piero to pass for everyday brits, they just have too different features.

I can easily tell apart people from the Isles from continental europeans.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yup there are significant regional differences:

Lighthaired class from lower Normandy

Darkhaired class from Roussillon

Though in my experience the average northern French crowd looks distinctly more southern than its British counterpart.
In theory but not in real life.

Its the british of the real life look way less stereotypically northern european than the rest of "northern europeans".

How many brits are tall naturally blonde with sharp facial features compared to scandinavia, netherlands, northern germany, finland?

Even going as far south in europe as czech republic, southern germany, etc I see more of the stereotypically tall natural blonde women with slender features, most british women are curvy, pale and naturally darkhaired and more often than not on the shorter side.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:20 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
In theory but not in real life.

Its the british of the real life look way less stereotypically northern european than the rest of "northern europeans".

How many brits are tall naturally blonde with sharp facial features compared to scandinavia, netherlands, northern germany, finland?

Even going as far south in europe as czech republic, southern germany, etc I see more of the stereotypically tall natural blonde women with slender features, most british women are curvy, pale and naturally darkhaired and more often than not on the shorter side.
meaning fat??, because thats up to choice

Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Question lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In general, of course. I especially notice it among the Scandinavians, but also to an extent the UK, Netherlands, and Germany. I think it's fairly obvious average eye size increases as you go south, Italy, Greece.etc. I also notice a lot of Russians have kind of 'almond eyes'. Northern Europeans also tend to have, of course, lighter hair/eyes, tend to be less hairy and taller/less stocky than Southern Europeans.

How do you always come up with those questions?

Old 12-22-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
meaning fat??, because thats up to choice
No, they are curvier, specially welsh and southern english women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.