Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 02:50 PM

599 posts, read 2,592,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Finnish people have smaller eyes. Sort of like the Eskimo to me.
Yes although not all, many finns have like mongol kind of looks (although with blond hair and blue eyes).

Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM

599 posts, read 2,592,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
No offence don but what you are doing with the pictures is kind of like ethnic cleansing. You cant look at somebody whos white and say theyre english theyre irish and theyre brythonic lol...
Its pretty obvious, you can do that very easily if you have had the chance to live a decent amount of time in a country, you are able to spot who is native and who isnt.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
No offence don but what you are doing with the pictures is kind of like ethnic cleansing. You cant look at somebody whos white and say theyre english theyre irish and theyre brythonic lol...
Don Caballero, and a lot of Spanish men it seems, take an unusual interest in racial genetics and the like. No coincidence that when my ancestors colonized Latin America, they kept a detailed list of racial categories and neatly put everyone into them. There were more categories than just peninsular, mestizo, indio, and africano. Still to this day, my people are some of the most racist people on the planet. Not racist as in Hitler extermination racist, but just obsess about categorizing people based on their looks. It's a big deal in Latin America on how much white you are still, and where it comes from and what your looks are. I'd belong to the white class in Latin America, but I'd still rank lower than a blond or light brown haired blue eyed person of Spanish descent because I look like a Moorish Spaniard, not a northern Spaniard

Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Its pretty obvious, you can do that very easily if you have had the chance to live a decent amount of time in a country, you are able to spot who is native and who isnt.
But is that really important? Why do you take notice of people's origins.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
But is that really important? Why do you take notice of people's origins.
Read my post above to understand

Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
I always wondered why latin america as so many categories and whatever. I thought latin americans where the most 'un' racist people in the world because of how multicultural and integrated everything is there. Alot of people call judgements on people's race/ethnic group all over the world.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I always wondered why latin america as so many categories and whatever. I thought latin americans where the most 'un' racist people in the world because of how multicultural and integrated everything is there. Alot of people call judgements on people's race/ethnic group all over the world.
A lot of them are working class so they would tend to mix with other people of different color than them. The middle classes and up stayed white. A lot of the mixed people also tend to try to be as white as they can be. This is noted when they come here, they always check the White Hispanic boxes on the census and employment questionnaires, even if they are darker than me. Also when you have multiple kids in the family, sometimes all of them would have non-brown eyes and the unlucky one with brown eyes is singled out as the weird one (el negrito/la negrita) or the reverse is true, the only child with non-brown eyes is the favorite son/daughter. There is no legal discrimination in Latin America, but a hell of a lot of self-discrimination. Black and indigenous people also have next to no prospects of pulling themselves up

Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Why would anyone want to be white lol?

Old 12-26-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Why would anyone want to be white lol?
Cause a lot of racial minorities think being white somehow grants automatic privilege and wealth. It's mostly the media's fault, I think. Latin American TV shows always portray white people as well to-do and beautiful while the meztisos are the maids, handymen, etc.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
What!
Do you ever contribute anything to any discussion? If you disagree with what I have posted, feel free to post your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.