Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,502,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
How does changing citizenship make someone a tratior. If you live away from your country long enough you my feel more connected to your new home and want to take part in politics there.

So Arnold Schwarzeneger is a tratior as he became american?

My dad changed his from italian to american so I guess he was a traitor too.

I am considering changing mine, not because I have anything against the USA, I do not need to change it to live in Germany as I have permenent residence but would like to have the option to perhaps live in other EU nations when my daughter is grown up.
But Arnold still has Austrian citizenship, I think. She just did this to avoid taxes. That's pretty obvious as the U.S. does allow dual citizenship, and the U.S. must be the only civilized country in the world where citizens must declare their world income and pay taxes on it. Although there are agreements they entered into with other countries so that you do not pay taxes twice. But she has, of course, more money than the average person and there has to be a limit and once you're over it, you gotta also pay taxes in the U.S. . I don't know for sure, but it's a plausible explanation to me.

I think that's why people dislike what she did ( or is doing ?). She is who she is thanks to the U.S.

EDIT:

I'm not sure if Switzerland allows dual citizenship. But she's been living there since 1995. So she didn't have to do it. She's been living there without it just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 PM

9,550 posts, read 16,619,179 times
I don't blame her one bit. I don't know her reasons. Its none of my business or as far as I'm concerned no one else's either. People calling her a traitor that's uncalled for. Unfortunately there are many people that think that way in this country. About many things. Its no wonder people want to leave the USA. Tina is 73. I can tell you she has lived thru some very miserable times in this country, that many on CD never have. Simply by what her age ,and what that time was like in this country, and where she is from She is from small town Tennessee and I'm sure she has had her dose of mean, and as far as I'm concerned uncivilized people in this country.Especially in the 50's 60's when she was growing up. She has lived in Switzerland since 1993. I don't believe she has much family if any left in the USA. So why should she live here. As she said on Swiss TV. She is happy living there and can't see herself living anywhere else anymore.

The articles I have read on her say she retired in 2009. LIfe is her's now. I have always enjoyed her as a performer. I'm glad she had the guts to do what she wanted to do at this stage of her life.

I think she is probably the start of what we will see more and more often in the USA. People that decide to leave the country for their own reasons and renounce their citizenship.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,809,815 times
Switzerland is an amazing country. If I did not have aging parents here in the states, I'd go there. That said, I suspect it is hard to get a job there. I suspect hordes of people have been wanting to move there for centuries.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,562,875 times
After enduring the type of abuse that she has had, I wish Tina Turner happiness. She was raised in the deep South during the Jim Crow years, and had to put up with violent physical abuse from her ex-husband for decades. If anyone deserves a place of peace, its this woman. She is living life on her own terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe