Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM

6 posts, read 10,309 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I am moving to Switzerland for a project and am curious what the general opinion of Swiss people is. I have heard lots of different voices (mostly positive) before, now that I am actually going to live among them I need to find out more. Are Swiss naturally kind, helpful, and welcoming or do they sometimes behave in a grumpy, antisicocial manner? Since I have heard lots of different stories over the years I am curious to find out what the people out there think. Thanks for that.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 01:08 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
There's a Swiss forum full of expats posting their impressions here: http://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php

As far as I can make out, there's some cultural variation, as would be expected, between French, German, and Italian Swiss. The German Swiss are reserved, and themselves report that it takes years to develop a true friendship with them, vs. an acquaintance-ship. I wouldn't expect people there to be friendly and welcoming like North Americans. What part of Switzerland are you moving to? And, as is true anywhere in the world, it helps if you know the language/s. People appreciate your meeting them halfway, in that respect.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,692 times
I might offend some people here, but I find the Swiss extremely anal retentive. During a visit to Lucerne, we went to a pizza place. The cashier there yelled at us for taking the hot sauce bottle to the table INSIDE her restaurant. Apparently, we are only allowed to bring our pizza to the condiments table and put some sauce there, then put the hot sauce bottle on the EXACT same spot where we got it from. The way she yelled we thought we forgot to pay or did something very serious like we were stealing her hot sauce away from the restaurant.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:36 PM

I guess if you take the hot sauce bottle to your table, there won't be any hot sauce at the condiments table for others? So she viewed you as being thoughtless of others? Still, you'd think in a country with such heavy tourism, they'd be used to visitors making minor mistakes like that. Yelling at the customers really isn't the best business practice.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:52 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I find the Swiss extremely anal retentive. During a visit to Lucerne, we went to a pizza place.
One lousy experience makes a whole country assessment ?

I find that calling people *extremely anal retentive* is really *extremely anal retentive* !

Last edited by irman; 03-06-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
One lousy experience makes a whole country assessment ?

I find that calling people *extremely anal retentive* is really *extremely anal retentive* !
I did not say I was an expert on Switzerland, but this was my experience and am just sharing it. And it's not just one lousy experience, because I have a couple more that I did not write about here. It's just that from my observation and experience, when the Swiss (the German side) can go ballistic over minor stuff when it concerns orderliness, punctuality and organization.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:27 AM

278 posts, read 277,243 times
Quote:
I did not say I was an expert on Switzerland, but this was my experience and am just sharing it. And it's not just one lousy experience, because I have a couple more that I did not write about here. It's just that from my observation and experience, when the Swiss (the German side) can go ballistic over minor stuff when it concerns orderliness, punctuality and organization.
I'd agree with your assessment but that's why it's such a well oiled machine.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:45 AM

6 posts, read 10,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
It's hard to believe "Iloveyou", but to a certain extent your comment makes sense. It is economically running well and people are super detailed about everything.
I have my own theory about it: since Switzerland is so small compared to the rest of the world they need to make use of every little square inch the best way possible and nothing needs to be left unused. That's why everything is so tediously organized. On the flip side people seem to trust eachother a lot more compared to especially the U.S, where lies fly all over your head. In simple words, take it or leave it, the Swiss are who they are I guess, and they are proud that way.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
Yes, but that's no reason to yell at customers over a fairly trivial matter. Is politeness not valued in Switzerland? Verbal abuse is the order of the day? Really??

Old 03-07-2014, 09:43 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
I might offend some people here, but I find the Swiss extremely anal retentive. During a visit to Lucerne, we went to a pizza place. The cashier there yelled at us for taking the hot sauce bottle to the table INSIDE her restaurant. Apparently, we are only allowed to bring our pizza to the condiments table and put some sauce there, then put the hot sauce bottle on the EXACT same spot where we got it from. The way she yelled we thought we forgot to pay or did something very serious like we were stealing her hot sauce away from the restaurant.
That is your side of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe