Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,595,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I still wouldn't go to ANY low income areas in ANY city after dark, however.
There are plenty of big city low-income* immigrant areas that are safe after dark. Middle of the night be sketchy.

*may depend on your definition of low-income
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 11:11 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,681,955 times
Here the low-income areas are not safe after night. Especially in the summer when more are out.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 AM

367 posts, read 766,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
FYI Europe is bigger than the US and about 30% bigger than the continental US. American's ideas of what constitutes Europe are almost always way off.
I'm sure viewers will give different responses different values. Since almost isn't always I'm betting almost all of us who comment on threads like this one know enough about the European perspective to make out posts worth reading. Mine are based on visting/living in eight different countries for a total of nine and a half years.

Staying on topic a non-American can easily see where the population centers, high interest spots and concentration of warm weather locals are when planning a trip. I don't know of many Americans who plan a European visit differently.

If a European has a favorite American city I encourage them to tell us the W's (where, why et cetra).

Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,003,587 times
My guess based on comments over the years are NY followed by Orlando and South Florida. The ones that make it to SF love it, but it's so much further that not as many do. DC, Boston, LA, and LV are probably next. LA is unusual in the higher destinations in that so many that come don't like it.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,003,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I keep seeing San Francisco mentioned, but what's the draw for tourists? There's a nice bridge, of course, but what else is distinctive?
SF has tons going for it for a European tourist. It's very cosmopolitan. It's scenic. Very walkable and has good public transportation considering that a large number of Europeans visiting places outside Florida either don't get a car or only get one for day trips. It has good restaurant options, interesting ethnic neighborhoods, a cool cable car, and surrounded by natural beauty. Plus it has good weather, although it's probably cooler than many visitors expect. Especially in summer.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 24 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,937,354 times
San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, New York, and Chicago.

San Francisco and New York are the most popular and expected favorite American cities for Europeans.

Seattle, Portland, and Chicago are more underrated and not as known yet to a lot of Europeans. However, every European I met that visited Seattle, Portland, Chicago and got to know those cities well were pleasantly surprised and started to view them as favorite Americans cities.

Most Europeans I met that visited Los Angeles, Miami, Boston, and Washington DC are disappointed and didn’t view them as favorite cities anymore after they visited.

The favorite cities in Europe for Americans are Paris, London, Amsterdam, Madrid, Barcelona, Nice, Prague, Berlin, and Vienna.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,433,199 times
Favorite cities for Europeans? Probably the regional cultural centers in America. New York of course being the unofficial US capital as mentioned. I would then put Chicago, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington DC and Miami.

The cities I think are perhaps underrated to Europeans but definitely worth it for an "American" experience?
Philadelphia
Minneapolis
Portland OR
San Diego (and see more than just SeaWorld and the Zoo)
New Orleans

Old 04-15-2013, 12:57 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,433,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, New York, and Chicago.

San Francisco and New York are the most popular and expected favorite American cities for Europeans.

Seattle, Portland, and Chicago are more underrated and not as known yet to a lot of Europeans. However, every European I met that visited Seattle, Portland, Chicago and got to know those cities well were pleasantly surprised and started to view them as favorite Americans cities.

Most Europeans I met that visited Los Angeles, Miami, Boston, and Washington DC are disappointed and didn’t view them as favorite cities anymore after they visited.

The favorite cities in Europe for Americans are Paris, London, Amsterdam, Madrid, Barcelona, Nice, Prague, Berlin, and Vienna.
The cities I want to visit in Europe are Brussles, Antwerp, Bruge, (yeah I like Belgium) Copenhagen, Dublin, Stockholm and Amsterdam.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:27 PM

274 posts, read 471,264 times
LA and NY. SF deserves a mention, too

Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,634,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
San Francisco
San Francisco is also one of the most beloved cities for Americans. But many people like the "idea" of San Francisco than actually go there. It is very expensive.

Southern Florida is very popular with both English and Germans. I am told that they are the only places were you can find rental cars with a stick shift. Some of the Germans have never driven an automatic in their life.

British flock to Las Vegas.

Here are the top 10 for all visitors (domestic and all international). NYC is number 1 for international. I would have to find stats for specifically European visitors.
10. San Diego, Calif.: 29,600,000 visitors
9. Philadelphia, Pa.: 30,320,000 visitors
8. Houston, Texas: 31,060,000 visitors
7. Atlanta, Ga.: 35,400,000 visitors
6. Las Vegas, Nev.: 36,351,469 visitors
5. Miami, Fla: 38,100,000 visitors
4. Anaheim/Orange County, Calif.: 42,700,000 visitors
3. Chicago, Ill.: 45,580,000 visitors
2. New York City: 47 million visitors
1. Orlando, Fla.: 48 million visitors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe