Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,784,671 times

Advertisements

Natasha Bedingfield said that Portland reminded her of Europe when I saw her perform here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,282,163 times
Europeans in general? Probably your usual suspects such as New York or San Francisco.
My personal favorites: Milwaukee and Chicago.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Europeans should do themselves a favor and come visit Fort Worth and New Orleans!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:48 AM

585 posts, read 1,089,137 times
Fort Worth in the morning and New Orleans in the afternoon?

Old 03-02-2013, 03:23 PM

77 posts, read 235,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Chicago......[/url]

From what I hear on the news and internet, Chicago is being overwhelmed with urban youth violence and gang violence, is it really an unsafe city to visit?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 PM

630 posts, read 996,328 times
NY, LA, Miami, SF and San Diego

Old 03-03-2013, 01:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,327,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roe5745 View Post
From what I hear on the news and internet, Chicago is being overwhelmed with urban youth violence and gang violence, is it really an unsafe city to visit?
Like many large cities today Chicago is no more or less safe than any large tourist destination in the US, however, crime does exist here, but overwhelmed, no I don't think so, but I do live here. Chicago's seventy-seven distinct neighborhoods can change quickly from one to another but crime does not occur equally among these areas. Don't be afraid to use your good judgement just as you would in your own corner of the world, stay in well populated areas, and turn around immediately if you feel the least bit uncomfortable.

I have lived in Chicago my entire life and short of having grafitti painted on my recycling bin I have not experienced anything violent or criminal. Having said that, the fact that I have been here my entire life tells you that I will know better than a tourist what areas to avoid, which streets and thoroughfares are well lit and safe and even which times of day to travel to and/or from an area to avoid traffic congestion.

And although Chicago is definitely a world class alpha city I think we can all agree that we much prefer safety first.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeISWhere...

Safe and Dangerous Places in Chicago

Safe and Dangerous Places in Chicago - AOL Travel News

Old 03-03-2013, 01:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,985,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roe5745 View Post
Chicago is actually very safe. Most of the violence/major crime you hear on the news is basically 5+ miles away from most of the areas you would be visiting as a tourist to the city, and they don't spill into the tourist areas (every once in awhile something happens, but not usually...some youth "flash mobs" happened and some people got hurt, but actually most of the "flash mob" action is running into a store and taking off running with tons of merchandise. The mugging of people that's happened a few times is actually secondary to the shoplifting.).

This is no different than a lot of cities in the world though. I live in "downtown" Chicago and barely ever see any real crimes happening. Most of the crimes I see happening are public drunkiness, jay walking, every once in awhile someone peeing in an alley way near a bar, or my neighbours every once in awhile smoking pot, etc. It pretty much depends on where you live, but realistically as a tourist, it's extremely safe to visit. No more dangerous than NYC, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, etc. Actually I'd say safer than a few cities because in some cities like San Francisco it's possible to accidentally step foot into a shady neighborhood. In Chicago you'd have to walk for *quite* a ways for that to happen.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,691,504 times
To me, NYC feels like an international city. For a city that's purely American see Chicago. NYC belongs to the world, Chicago is pure Americana.
And I someone from the Boston area, who now lives in Orlando, we do have a soul. You just have to get away from the theme parks. Central Fl is more than Disney World and Universal

Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,062,332 times
Having never been to the country I wouldn't know where to start but I would (if given a choice) go to Seattle cos I think they do football the way we do there! (Sounders) :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe